How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: pocket shredder
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:33 pm 

Holy Cow!! kiss my ass!! Who needs a teck 1? who needs a cuthoff? Who needs a sissors?
Dr.Bob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:47 pm 

That Shule seems to work GREAT, CJ !
...I'm real tired of using a scissors...
rc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:21 pm 

glad you liked it, sure does work great. No reason to reinvent the wheel and it's less than $50.

Like I was saying, the only thing you need to do is run a grinding wheel across the cutters a bit to roughen it up and it works great.

If you have one of those Kitchenaide mixers, they have similar attachments for them if you are so inclined to avoid hand-cranking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:30 pm 

Very cool Jac :D
Did you skew the blade assembly?I thought about doin the same thing awhile back but didn't think it would bite.How many makeshift teeth did you add to the circumference of each blade?Congrats great work.

If you need to tweak the squeak i would use veg oil and not wd LOL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:41 pm 

thanks Mark,
really not much dental-work at all, just roughed-up the face of each a bit with the grinder. about like you may expect from a 60 grit sandpaper. I just ran the stone the length of the cutter while slowly cranking the handle. this gave a sort of cross-hatch pattern to the faces.

I'm assuming I will have to "dress" the face of the cutters again after a few hundred leafs, but a quick 60 grit touch-up should do it nice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:26 am 

Wow Colej,
that looks as if it works much better than anything I have seen and fast too. I do have a question or two, are there just one set of cutters or more than one set for the different size cuts? How do you think it would work with compressed baled tobacco?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:42 am 

indianjoe wrote:
Wow Colej,
that looks as if it works much better than anything I have seen and fast too. I do have a question or two, are there just one set of cutters or more than one set for the different size cuts? How do you think it would work with compressed baled tobacco?

it has three sections: #1 is just two rollers with adjustable thickness for flattening out the dough to then be thin enough to run through the fettucini or spaghetti cutters.

fettuchini cutter has cutting width of about 1/4", spaghetti cutter is about 3/32".

I doubt you would be able to get a bale to work without pulling it apart and into thin sheets.

The shredder that Taxedenough uses has actual teeth that would bite into the bale, mine is more like 50 pairs of scissors working all at once

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:07 pm 

Colej...you have made my day!

I want to Thank You, thank you, thank you for posting that video! That was absolutely amazing!
My wife had mentioned the pasta maker to me but I snubbed her since some said it didn't work that great. Now you found the fix.
I showed my wife your great video and she only slapped me on the back of the head and called me a dumb-ass. :D
I plan to go out tomorrow and see if I can find one like you mentioned...a Shule brand. Ifnot mistaken I had looked at a pasta maker at Bed-Bath and Beyond. I think the hand crank is fine. Motorized may be faster but I just want to get one and try it to see if it works like your video shredding. I really never liked doing the Brick thing because the fluffing afterwards was problematic for me. It seems you way solves both of those problems and makes things so much simpler.
I was almost ready to give up tobacco growing next year but with your input I am very excited to continue. Now it will be less labor intensive.

I swear I cannot get over your video!
I have tried everything my small mind could think of to shred my tobacco. Nothing worked well and was extremely labor intensive.
If I find a pasta machine and rough up the cutters and it does similar to your video, I feel like I owe you some money for your tips.
If mine works like yours I intend to call it my Colej Tobacco Super Shredder Machine. Maybe you could get a Chinese or Taiwan manufacturer to make these Colej's for you and sell them and hopefully make a fortune. :D

The only question I have is...is there some brands of pasta machines that might be better than others?
Again Colej, I want to thank you for taking the time and expending the effort to share this with all of us. Plus my wife is Gloating. Thank You!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:20 pm 

FmGrowIt

No doubt...my pasta cutter is the best solution to shredding I've found. If you can find an Angel Hair or Vermicelli cutter, it would be better, but the spaghetti cutter works fine. Most of the time, I'll run the shred threw a couple of times. The biggest trick is to have it in proper case. Too wet and it won't cut at all, too dry and it crumbles. Light case is the key.

Hey Fm...I have heard you mention the pasta cutter before I think. On other forums I have heard the same thing but with the pasta cutter getting too gummy and cleaning was an issue. This is the main reason I have never tried it.
Evidently the case of the leaf was the problem and not the cutter it seems.
You had mentioned and Angel Hair or Vermicelli cutter that would be better. As I have never made pasta can you tell me why those would be better? Maybe because of the thickness or thinness one can achieve? I do understand that the leaf being in the correct case makes all the difference in the shredding ability.
Thanks Fm!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:47 am 

hi
not thickness or thinness. width. smallre width. mine cuts at 1/8" Lee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:34 am 

baccerman wrote:
Colej...you have made my day! Thank You!

you're welcome baccerman. my first go with this it didn't work well and gummed up the cutter, but when I figured I needed to roughen the face of the cutters it was amazing how well it worked.

my pasta machine was a xmas gift from inlaws years ago and hardly used it, it'll get a lot more use now.

after tearing this one apart trying to figure out how to make it work better, I've found a few things that I would look for if buying a new one.
smaller cutters: my "spaghetti" size is 3/32", but vermicelli or angel hair would be around 1/16 or maybe 3/64".

better bearings: this one doesn't have bearings at all at the end of the cutter rods, only stamped sheetmetal (you can hear the squeaking in the video) and I had to "Tighten-up" the cutters with a tap of a hammer to keep the cutting faces tight together.

besides that, I like my baccy shredder

baccerman wrote:
......Plus my wife is Gloating. Thank You!

I hate to admit it, but my wife gives me good ideas too that I ignore only later to realize she was on to something.
That's why we keep them around right? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:38 pm 

That Shule is nice enough, and i really like ALL CJ's videos... :)

But I guess somehow, many folks missed the VillaWare Al Dente Pasta maker for $8 at Everything Kitchens. Shipping brought it to $13.

It's made for mounting to a kitchen food processor so it needs a crank, and some sort of mounting for it. It's 1mm or 1/16", something like that. Have not used mine, yet.

part # V177-01

Best
rc

Oh, they pack well and ship quickly... and a real sweetie takes the order if you call by phone. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:46 pm 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
I just sent away for a Shule 180 mm (7.0866 inch) with the 6 mm (0.236 inch) fettuccine and the 1.6 mm (0.0629 inch) spaghetti cutter for $29.99 plus $7.99 shipping (FedEx Ground) 4 to 6 days
It should be here by Saturday the 13th or no later than Tuesday the 16th of November 2010.
They were sold out of the the smaller one. That one went for $19.99 plus shipping.

Edit: I forgot to add that it comes with an adjustment for 7 different thicknesses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:02 pm 

Back when i used pipe baccy, i liked the price but hated packin in the long thin shreds for every cig.Now, i got free stuff thats a fine flake that burns great and packs great with no stress on the injector.No fingerin it in the chamber.

An hour every three weeks is well worth the effort for a heavy smoker and a bit of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:31 pm 

Wow!

I just found a neato Pocket Shredder !

rc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next