How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: cheapo shredder
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:15 am 

hi
SMC Thrift stores are to me like walmarts with out the crowds :lol: only cheaper :lol: Lee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:39 pm 

went to the Goodwill, and they seem to srinking their electronic slection or I am missing out. They use to have a bunch of junk. I have pleantly of time to find one, If I will cut by hand untill I find one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:43 pm 

This is my most recent venture into back yard processing to beat big tobacco and the tax collector !

Here's the Dynamic Duo...

Both are thrift store offerings I could not pass up ! The Cuisinart Coffee Bean Burr Mill was kinda pricey. I got it to grind snuff.

Here's a close-up of the small shredder.

It was a bargain @ 99cents ! It does an excellent job ! I have NO idea what it's original intended use was... Do you ?

Here's a look inside at the blades...

Turning the crank one direction shreds coarser than turning the other.
I feed the baccy in pretty damp... haven't tried it dryer, yet.

Here's a pic of results after just one pass through it...

The dime is for a size comparison. This will roll fine in a thumb roller, but I put it through two passes to shred a bit finer.

Hope that's helpful information for those looking for a cheap method to process baccy !
rc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:47 am 

hey RC - Happy Thanksgiving!

the little unit is exactly the same thing I got from WalMart. it's original purpose is a nut grinder (chopped peanut, pecan, walnut, etc)

it worked fairly well as it came, but I found the gap between the blades and the grating a little wide so I use needlenose to "tweek" then just a little and it works better. Later I got out the pasta maker and it worked better and faster so I haven't used the nut grinder since.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:45 pm 

Happy T-Day to you, too, CJ.

Did the dogs get some turkey ??? :)

...or did they get some of the D-jerky ? :lol:

Thanks for the ID on the little grinder... and the source !
I like it because it wraps up small veins around the rotor and u can fish them out and discard them.

Y'know, I STILL haven't done anything with the pasta machine attachment I got from villaWare. Got a drive mechanism figgered out, found parts in my collection, then #1 shuffled the whole garage and I'm back at square one on that project. Oh well. :roll:

Best
rc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:38 pm 

rusty does this help earlier post Lee
looking4rich wrote:
Hey rusty, I think I have found it!!!!

Here is the angel hair pasta maker I bought the other day. This is a manual machine and I didn't have a hand crank, so I cut off the end of a flat head screwdriver and shoved it in the side of the machine. The slots lined up just right. Then I used an electric drill and just attached the end of the screwdriver into the chuck on the drill. I don't know how the drill motor will endure, as it gives off a lot of heat, but it'll work for now until I can find another low speed high torque motor.

I attached the shredder to an old board I found with plastic ties(this will hold it temporarily...)

The cutting wheels on the machine were all smooth, so that made it have infeed(top feed) issues when inserting the leaves...so I had to modify it a touch. I used a dremel tool and cut-off wheel to grind one side of the cutters, in essence giving it teeth to take a bite out of the leaves. That fixed the issue with feeding the leaves in. It'll now take the leaves as fast as I can feed them in and grinds them to 1mm-all except the large end stems.

Here is the final cut---one pass!!! :D

Total Price....$7.99!!....plus shipping :lol:

It shred all the leaves off of one plant in about a minute

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:49 am 

Thanks Iam !

Exactly what I've got setting out there in the garge !
Had a small spade bit that fit the slot in the end and was about to fasten a battery op drill I don't much care for to a board with the Al Dente attached on the other end... Got sidetracked... nothing new...
rc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:24 pm 

That's where I heard about the dremel trick! (I knew I heard it mentioned someplace before)
smbiam, I didn't mean to steal your thunder when I started the post on the pasta cutter, It just worked so damn well I wanted the community to know and forgot to credit the source of the idea :oops:
I must say that the roughing up the surface is the key to getting these to work properly.
like night and day improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:12 am 

hi
It wasn't my idea I read it in another post here lots older than this. I just mention it cause it works good. Lee
just read an old post and was Xsmoker that first suggested it in post I saw.

Last edited by smbdyiam on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:43 am 

IMO it doesn't hurt a thing to bring up ideas and presentations that may have been discussed way back when.

There's generally a revolving audience of participation on the boards and searching through extensive data is fun, but is tedious, sometimes... My own HTGT setup is configured to only bring up active posts from the last week. So that's mostly what I see, until I go searching for things.

As a newbie, I really don't know what questions to ask, in many circumstances ! :roll:

It's all good.
rc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:49 am 

hi rusty
As most have read my wife has lots of pains . She cannot sit in one chair very long till back starts to hurt. so she goes to one chair to watch hgtv on telly. then comes takes this one to play on cp. then back to telly chair. So when she on watching hgtv on tv I play here. When she wants this chair I go to garden/ green house and become a DIRTY OLE MAN . when I come back she is done here. and I read on cp. I get lots of exersise walking to green house . Today I got 40 cups ready for seeds. oooops about to get run out again I see her starting to shift around looking for better spot. :lol: :lol: later all Lee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:28 pm 

I gathered another cheapo shredder just the other day.

A Salad Shooter Professional. :lol:
(Haven't a clue what professional chef would use such a device, but that's what they CALL it !

It almost does a fine job on the baccy... Not quite, but it does well enough for use in the T2.
They are cheep at the thrift store when they pop up.

Best
rc