How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: cheapo shredder
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 am 

hi
my pasta machines say atlas and one says pasta queen looks like your Al Dente 'angel hair pasta' machines. mine will cut about 95% of any leaf. There are some with a very haeavy or hard vien (not center rib) that it does not want to cut. We just pick out this little piece of stem and continue. not a big problem. Even when we get 2 -3 leaves started at same time they go through. Just have to put little more ooph to the crank. Only time we have problem is if to wet and sticks or to dry and doesn't want to grab on, or large vien that is hard and doesn't want to grab, if it grabs it goes. I think differant injectors pack tobacco in tubes differant. When we try to pack shreathat is to long it hangs and pulls back out ,or doesn't feed all way to filter. That why we cut secound time. Lee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:46 pm 

Lefty,

I ran about 4 lbs, 20 plants or so through it the other day. I found out through trial and error that the drill idea was not a good one because the drill motor produces so much heat when it runs. It did fine for about 15 mins. worth of shredding, and then got so hot it died. The other disadvantage was that it was difficult to control the speed, and the pasta maker needs low-rpms. to be efficient.

I changed out the drill for a hand crank, and it work just as well as the drill did, plus it should extend the life of the pasta maker running it at lower rpms.

As far as the heavy leaf goes, it'll shred it as long as it is in a light, to light-med. case. If the leaf is too wet or too green, it'll still go through the machine, but the cut won't be that great.

IMO, the leaves need to be in a light- to light med. case for optimum efficiency, but when you start using it, you'll find the way that works best for you.

just my 2 cents worth...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:33 am 

Hi
I really like the way my hand crank paper shreadder works. I also like the way my pasta machine shreader works. AND I found a cheap sewinging machine. took 2 pieces of sheet metal about the size of a playing card bent them and drilled holes and mounted one on each side of pressure feet makes funnel for tobacco to go through a leaf folded over goes through just fine. Moves ahead about 1/8 " on each stich. I am in process of trying to mount a pair of shears on back of sewing machine with bar running to neddle bar and end of shears.when needdle goes up tobacco moves ahead when needle comes down shears cuts it off. this house hold machine longest stich length is 1/8 inch . so far every thing has been simple the bar from needle bar to shears may be harder. Looks simple but to open and close shears handle of shears makes it reverse and close when i want it open. so may have to cut one handle off shears and try to fasten bar to point end of shears. still working on it lee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:51 am 

Hi the problem Im running into is needle bar goes strraight up. The point of shears goes up in an arc. not stright. so need a sliding attachment to needle bar to move with the arc. This was old zigzag machine so may have enough play in bar to move side to side. Hee Hee it got me to thinking about an old treadle machine to power, pasta machine , paper cutter and this machine. fooot operated to go slow as needed. if not treadle machine maybe bike and chain . May be I need to take nap and think some more :lol: :lol: Lee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:21 am 

Iam, re-shape your shear into a scimitar shape... would that work?

or guillotine-angled fashion... worked on marie antoinette just dandy! :twisted: :lol:

rc

have u posted pics of ur sewing machine chopper?
I'd like to see...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:54 pm 

hi
No pictures every time I get a camera my 17 year old figures how to break it quickly. After 5 I just gave up. Another 8 months and he will be out of school and plans to go to collage. Talking about OK. Maybe I can use one then :lol: He was our grandson and we adopted him.
Anyway using shears one end is always aliegned so still seems best route. :roll: Nap helped :roll: Lee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 pm 

Ha!

First digital I bought was $200 for 2mp and it ended up having a proprietary memory chip.
Second one after one of our boys 'jeeped' the first one was about 10% less for 4mp. it's what I use today.
I was in RS the other day to get something else and their camera display had 12mp cameras for under $100.

Amazing times!

ha! I put my old minolta slr 35mm w/lenses on craigslist... No calls. Not one!
I guess it's a kayak anchor now ?

Best
rc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:30 pm 

I gathered up a crusty old Nemco Easy Slicer.

it will need a lot of work !

the blade carrier is broken on BOTH the blade assemblies that were with it... a weak point in the design, I guess.

About $40 for the new part...

Wow! I'm stoked!
:D
rc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:27 pm 

I'm surprised they let you have that in Kalifornia, after all, it has exposed sharp blades that someone might fall into the hopper and cut their head off with :roll:

Do you need to get a permit for operating a potentially hazardous device like that?
You need to register it with the local PD and have the blades "slice profile" on file in their database?
:mrgreen:

(I've got to quit answering post after I've had a few drinks! :shock: )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:29 am 

Ha!

It's got a sticker on it that says it came out of a Subway shop.
maybe now they get it pre-shredded in bags?
rc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:49 pm 

Just alittle update. I worked on sewing machine cutter and got it to work. made schutes for it to feed into pressure feet. Ended up taking 2 blades for recipical saw and sharpened back side of blade atached them to gether on to back of machine . used a 3 x3" l bracket and bent one side drilled holes bigger and slid it over needle bar, reatached the needle clamp and and it was so lose that I packed it with J B weld. took other end of l bracket and filed down to point . drilled a hole in top of out side blade. by feeding the point of the l bracket threw the hole when the needle bar went up the (new siscers) opened and when came down it cut off. works but the time to run a leaf folded over threw was not worth effort. pitched it into shop and went back to paper shreader and pasta machine cutter. once threw the paper cutter.shreader . and once threw the pasta machine angle hair cutter works real fast simple and easy. I did reemodel the openings on paper shreader to make it easier. and made a schute out of cardboard to help feed the pasta machine with the small shreads from paper shreder. works real fast and easy. lee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:50 am 

Iam, I sure wish u had a camera to post pics of your creations ! :)
rc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 am 

Lee,
I too have been trying different home-made ways of shredding baccy and each has been failure. if it made a clean cut it was too slow, if it was fast it made too wide of a cut or wouldn't cut clean.

I finally went back to the old pasta machine. I gave up on it at one point because it didn't grab the leaf very well and it had to be really heavy case to feed properly, but then it was too wet to cut right and clogged up the cutters.

so in frustration (and blisters) from using scissors and butcherknife, I took a stone grinding wheel on my Dremel tool and roughed-up the surface of the pasta maker.
straight from the box the cutters where very smooth and didn't give enough friction to grab the baccy leaf but now it grabs and goes right through it.

these pasta machines go for about $30 - $50 on Amazon, eBay and such. Can't beat the price and it's fast!

I know I posted this already on another topic in the forum but you've got to see this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvCiGLZ4M5o

At first I was pulling out all the mid ribs, then later only pulled out the bigger/thicker ribs and left all the smaller stuff as the shredder just ate it up!
The baccy was in just the right case for the cig injector when I ran it through the pasta maker.

look closely at the face of the cutters and you can see it is not much more than the roughness of 60grit sandpaper.

if you are going to do 10's of pounds at a time, this might not be the answer, but if you (like me) shred up just several ounces at a time for a weeks worth of smoking, then I would highly recommend this method.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:03 am 

hi colej
yes I use the pasta machine for about a year or more now. This last weekend I ran 5 pounds threw the paper shreader then the pasta machine. I turn crank with one hand and wife or daughter feeds the tobacco. we did the 5 pounds in less than hour cleaning and etc. I will not have to shread for about 2 1/2 months now ( I hope). just always looking for differant ways or maybe better . So far I really like the paper shreader then pasta cutter combo. I saw online that sears has one now for $24. looks same. I bought mine (atlas and pasta queen) at thrift stores for a dollar or two each so not real worried about wearing out . Lee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:09 am 

I after running it through my thoughts; this seems to best mechanical device to chop tobacco. If your doing large loads get a larger one, if you doing loads as they come ready; maybe you need a small one. Thats my thinking.. The only snag for a tight wad like me, is finding a used -through away one.