How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cheapo shredder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:24 pm 

This is a discount offering from the thrift store. It is a Senario 50sb. Three bucks.
I figgered it would not cut finely enough, and I was right, but I had to try it to post here. :)

It has multiple little flat gears side by side in a row that paper is drawn through. Cuts tobacco very cleanly.
It will do 4 sheets of paper or a business card quite well.

First pass through got me 7mm strips and very little dust. A few didn't cut well.
Case was varied, high to low.
Cigabutt for scale...

This is after a second pass. Maybe a little harder to feed through...
Used a business card to kinda force it in... then it grabbed the business card and shredded it nicely along with the baccy!

This little shredder came with a mini wastebasket, and I think it also doubles as an adapter to use on a larger wastebasket.
It has an Auto function on the switch, or a constant-run, Forward, or Reverse position which I used.

Nice little shredder.
Possibly would work well for cigar filler.
Not good for ciggie shred or pipe tobacco.
Maybe good for chew.

I would not think this is coarse enough for security shredding of documents, if that is a goal.

Best
rc

Post subject: Re: cheapo shredder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:32 pm 

Hey rusty, I think I have found it!!!!

Here is the angel hair pasta maker I bought the other day. This is a manual machine and I didn't have a hand crank, so I cut off the end of a flat head screwdriver and shoved it in the side of the machine. The slots lined up just right. Then I used an electric drill and just attached the end of the screwdriver into the chuck on the drill. I don't know how the drill motor will endure, as it gives off a lot of heat, but it'll work for now until I can find another low speed high torque motor.

I attached the shredder to an old board I found with plastic ties(this will hold it temporarily...)

The cutting wheels on the machine were all smooth, so that made it have infeed(top feed) issues when inserting the leaves...so I had to modify it a touch. I used a dremel tool and cut-off wheel to grind one side of the cutters, in essence giving it teeth to take a bite out of the leaves. That fixed the issue with feeding the leaves in. It'll now take the leaves as fast as I can feed them in and grinds them to 1mm-all except the large end stems.

Here is the final cut---one pass!!! :D

Total Price....$7.99!!....plus shipping :lol:

It shred all the leaves off of one plant in about a minute

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:30 am 

Now THAT looks like the way to go !

I gotta get me one of those!

tnx
rc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:21 am 

How do you put in the leaf, just feed it in or do you fold it first?? Randy B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:16 pm 

jitterbug,

I just feed the leaves straight in. On some of my larger leaves, I fold them in half, and then put the tips in first, holding on to the end of the stem to guide it. When I first got the shredder, the leaves didn't want to feed in, so by making several cuts in the cutter wheel using a dremel tool, it enabled the leaves to be "grabbed" by the machine...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:36 pm 

Hey 4,

Tell me more about what u did with the dremel tool ???

tnx
rc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:45 pm 

Hi All
Rustycase I use a paper shreader remodeled like yours and 2 passes works good, but found one pass and secound into pasta machine works better
Looking4
I also use a pasta machine like yours. never thought a bout the dremmil tool or the electric drill both good ideas. I usaully just give a slight mist to blades and they grab hold then. but may get d tool out and start grinding a little teeth.lol Like the screw driver bit idea. Would a little black tape around it and then set up a motor off sewing machine with the rubber wheel touching tape drive it for you. sewing machine motors are foot oerated controls so would free hands to feed. Also I took cardboard and formed a chute feed in to keep small stuf from going over sides . also covered other cutters ( the bigger ones for wide noddles )with tape to keep them cleaned out. lee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:09 pm 

Aha ! :idea:

...So I could run leaf through the paper shredder first, then through an angel hair pasta cutter ?

Wonder if I could stack them and get gravity involved... :roll:

rc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:16 pm 

yep
if changed from motor to tread mill could walk dog at same time . maybe add alternater and power tv at same time Now where did I sit my beer lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:34 pm 

rustycase,

I would just run them straight through the angel cutter and omit the paper shredder, unless you want a super fine cut...My topomatic injector gets jammed when the baccy is too fine, and it won't stuff a cig. So far, the leaves do very well in medium-light case, and to be honest, this machine doesn't seem to care what case it's in as long as it's not "real green" or "ringin' wet".

lee,

That misting idea might work, and may be a little easier than trimming on the cutters. What was it I keep hearing....."Hindsight is 20/20???" I'll have to take your word for it though, seeing as how I have already performed the surgery... :mrgreen:

rusty,

here's another pic or two of what I did:

I hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:59 pm 

hi
yes your pasta cutter is like mine with differant name . we have 2 found the other for a $1 so bought it to . both have differant names. looks like all made by same company in Italy. We use a cigerette machine and the 2 cuts work just right in it. It also works good in wifes old zig zag slider. Got some tobacco from S. C. cut with teck and it doesn't feed good in machine, to long of cuts. Works good in hand injector , just not in motorized. think it has to do with way they pack. I think roughing up one set of cutters might help feeding too. still looking for cheap old sewing machine want to play with. I have couple industrial machines but don't want to mess with them to costly lol I think it is possible to make adaptors for presser feet on sewing machine to move tobaccco through. Then put a cutting atachment on needle bar to cut tobacco.would be able to adjust cut size by adjusting length of stitch. can see it in mind just need to find cheap machine. we used to make adaptors for presser feet in shop to sew special seams. lee

Last edited by smbdyiam on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:47 pm 

Great help with the graphics, Look !
Did u segment all the wheels on one side ?

Wow... How'd u do that ?
...and how do u write on pictures ???

Ha! u could write books about what I don't know. :)

and Iam... gosh, if u can mod a sewing machine and keep everything in time to shred or stuff tubes, that's impressive !

I took apart my baby pp shredder today to open up the feed slot so leaf would go in there better...
My advice... don't do it !
at least with this kind of shredder.
I cut a bevel on one plastic lip, and it did nothing because the top housing for the machine is the 2nd limiting factor.
The 1st is that the plastic carrier for the rotating wheel cutter assembly is too narrow, and I couldn't mod it but a very little. Just not worth it for the improvement I might get. Of course I didn't index the parts suitably when I took the thing apart and it took a while of head-scratchin' to figger things out so they would run...
...And the little fellas who built this thing put a bunch of grease on the nylon drive gears! Sooner or later some could drop into the baccy and make a greasy mess ciggie.

tnx
rc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:39 pm 

thanks rusty,
I'm not as good at the computin' as a lot of folks on here, but thanks

To answer your question about the cuts on the machine...
yes, I made all the cuts on the one side of the machine, and I didn't cut all the way from one end to the other, I did a cut, moved over some, and then made another cut, puttin' some space in between the cuts on the same side.

I just couldn't wait to try the shredder, so I shred a plant that was almost color cured, but not quite finished if you know what I mean...still a little green at the top of the stalk :wink:

Gotta figure out how to ferment this stuff in a ziploc baggy so I can smoke it now...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:21 am 

I dunno about the ziploc baggie method, Look...

Why not bring the leaf into high case, then roll em up like a football sized cigar, wrap it with a few layers of newspaper and let it set for a few days... unroll it after 2 - 3 days to check and re-sort, do it again. A warm humid place is best.

Good luck,
rc

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta edit this, and any others I posted about bundle curing..........

Just had a near major disaster by not checking progress within a bundle, frequently.

Bundle/pile curing of green leaf DOES work, but things happen FAST !!!!!

Last edited by rustycase on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:05 am 

looking4rich;
I ordered one of these Al Dente 'angel hair pasta' machines. Total w/ shipping $14+.
a '1mm' cut seems like about-perfect for cigs, and I'm getting tired of trying to get a good cut/shred using an electric knife.
I've got several sheets of 1/4" acetal plastic, I think I can build a mount, tray and attach a cheapo electric drill to power it.
This will at least be an interesting project for this winter, waiting for the crop to mature & age.
Just not ready to put out $100+ for a Teck 1 yet.

One question:
Some of my Virginia strains are really thick, heavy leaves, with large course veins (not midrib). I pretty sure I can get these to fairly heavy case in my crockpot kiln, without spraying with H2O - question is, can this 'angel hair pasta' machine cut these heavier leaves/veins, or have you tried running anything heavy through your machine yet?