How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mark 1 Shredder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:14 am 

Jac
Looks like a heavy duty version of my Mark 0(0 has in dollars) 8)

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:29 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
The other ones shred 11 pages or 2 credit cards.
I just made a cigarette from the stuff I shredded, it smokes ok
and burns at a regular rate but the shred is .200 wide or 1/5 of an inch wide
and is a little difficult to make a cigarette.
But it works for what I want to do and is a hell of a lot quicker
than what I was doing before.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:40 am 

Here's a pic of my latest batch.Maryland 609(last year)Bursa,Ottoman,Silkleaf and YTB.Pretty much a Camel copy.Packs perfect and smokes perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:47 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
What do you use to shred it with?
Next season I'm going with Virginia Gold,Virginia Bright Leaf and Silk Leaf
and see how that works out for me.
The Green Brior Burley kind of sucks as far as I'm concerned,but I
didn't know what else to get at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:08 am 

Here's a pic with hopper off

I first shred the whole leaf and remove the stems and then run the baccy through a couple times with hopper on to get it where i want it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:48 pm 

It sure does Mark, Was there any brand name on your shredder?

I was using the wife's pasta maker today to shred a few handfulls of leaf that still hasn't browned up and still taste funky, hoping the abuse of shredding will move the process along a little better.

After a while it was not cutting it all the way through and I think I wore out the bearings already (cheap walmart model)

She'll be pissed, but she hardly used it anyway.

I'm eyeballing the old papershredder now. thinking of using the dremel to mod the teeth a bit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:18 pm 

I just ran mine through again, this time it was a lot dryer, and went through it without bunching up
It looks a whole lot like your picture
I got a whole year before I need it again The forward mode is turned on by a sensor the reverse mode is ran by a switch
I'm thinking of switching the wiring and just tear the top plastic part off and make some type of trough

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:39 pm 

dkh2,

After looking at Mark's "Mk-0", and my paper shredder and the pasta maker I ruined, they all work on the same principal.

So here is my idea, I'm going to use a bunch of big star washers with a small flat washer as spacer. stack 20 or so to make a rod and make two of these attached to a piece of althread, scrounge up a couple of involute gears to attach to the ends and mount it up into a wood frame with bearings from old electric drills.
Make a hopper like mark has and drive it with a crank.

when I was doing my best to ruin my wife's pasta maker I discoverd that if it's too dry it just crumbles into dust and hard for the teeth to grab it. if it's too wet (high case) it jams up in the slots.
the pasta maker had three size slots: lasagna, 1/4", and 1/16". if I ran the leaf through the 1/4" first then then lay the 1/4" strands flat and ran through the 1/16" that's all it needed. cut perfect size for rolling machine. (1/4" x 1/16")

If I do get around to making one, I may make it in the similar fashion as this to just move the handle from one size to the next and slide the hopper over as required.

Mark,
we need to figure how to incorporate a VAWT with a grinder and "mill our baccy" like the old timers used wind to mill grain
(aka wind"Mill" :roll: )
I can see it now - fill the hopper above, have a bucket below to catch the milled baccy and let it go, check on it the next day. viola! modern automation 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:09 pm 

DK, I posted some pics of a little paper shredder I tried to mod... it did't work out well enough, IMO.

In the Tobacco Picture Gallery search up shredder, or searcg up shredder920 that shows attempts I made to get it to accept more.
The plastic dealio that holds the double row of cutters is also the limiting factor...
Not worth all the work it would take to get it to shred properly... and, it was almost 1/4" strips.
Best to put them in a coffee bean grinder or food processor for a quick blast.

rc

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:00 am 

I am still using my mark 1 shredder. It has proven to be a reliable unit and easy to use. I have found that destemming before shredding produces the best tobacco. I shred tobacco slightly damp for the best results. A couple of passes through the machine produces usable tobacco that stuffs well with my topomatic.
I have had no problems with it.

Dr.Bob