How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THE MINI WINICKER
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:47 am 

MY WHOLE LEAF TOBACCO SHREDDER:

I shred all my tobacco using this shredder since at this point in time I buy only natural leaf tobacco.
I'm naming my machine the "MINI WINICKER" since for all intents and purposes that's what it mimics.

The "WINICKER guillotine cutter":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrZXqWgJWo
At 4min into the video it shows the cutting mechanism.

To give credit where credit is due, I originally got this idea after viewing the video "Docwicht is cutting Tobacco":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBI04JtkCa0&NR=1
Had it not been for the "Docwicht" video my machine would not exist today and while my machine has many improvements it's sill basically the same idea.

And now THE MINI WINICKER

01 Body:

02 Body:

03 Top:

04 Push block:

05 Rod:

06 epoxy:

07 Handle:

08 Feet:

09 Clamp cap:

10 Clamps:

11 Cleaver:

Any questions?

8)

Post subject: Re: THE MINI WINICKER
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:50 am 

More info on the THE MINI WINICKER

You will need to lubricate threaded rod and bushings with preferably a non-toxic lubricant. Bees wax is a good choice.

My machine was made with the intention of using it with the handle extending off the end of the work bench. A 9in handle (like the one I made) gives the user more leverage which translates into easier one handed operation. However if both the handle and the machine are on the same flat surface the handle will extend down about 1in too far. You can shorten the handle (not recommended) or adjust the height measurement of the feet and/or add a base to the feet for the purpose of clamping to a table (like the "Docwicht").

THE MINI WINICKER's main body was made on a good router table. You will need the same or a shaper to realistically make a one piece body (but I'd love to be proven wrong!).

Another option for the main body would be to make it in two pieces. One piece for the u shaped part and another for the block shaped end piece closest to the handle. Then both glue and screw the pieces together keeping the overall design the same. While this option will not have the strength of one solid piece, if done properly it should come very close.

Some advantages the MINI WINICKER has over the DOCWICHT:

1. Overall higher quality materials and design.

2. In 100yrs THE MINI WINICKER will be an antique, what was left of the DOCWICHT will have already been melted down many years before.

3. A much larger area of contact for the knife blade allows for better control and easier one handed operation.

4. You can sand the outside corner of the main body that is most likely to come into contact with the knife hand so you don't break or slice your slice finger wide open (another reason one handed operation of the MINI WINICKER is easier than the DOCWICHT!).

5. The MINI WINICKER wont rust all over your tobacco!

6. The front foot is recessed back a little so its easier to catch your tobacco on something like newspaper.

7. The top has pins that fit into the main body to keep if from sliding forward with the push block.

Some advantages the MINI WINICKER has over the WINICKER guillotine cutter WA-45-R:

1. You don't need a 1,000 pounds of tobacco just to turn it on!

2. When you do turn it on It wont dim all the lights in your neighborhood!

3. You don't have to spend $60,000 (or more) just to get started!

4. It can't easily remove major body parts!

5. You wont need to build an addition to your garage or workshop!

6. It wont wake up the entire neighborhood!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:52 am 

"MINI WINICKER" Update

I have found that after repeated shredding the end of the machine does show slight wear. Kind of a minor problem really but a problem none the less so, I added a 22 gauge steel cap to the end of the machine.

This is not to hard to do.

First do the face (just the part you can see in the picture above)
leave the inside u-shape slightly larger than you need. Then mark your screw holes, Drill 1 about half way, insert screw, Realign plate, drill opposite hole about half way, insert screw, then the rest of the holes (again only about half way). Remove screws and metal plate and countersink screw holes in wood. Drill holes to screw length with a smaller drill bit so the screw threads can get a good bite.

Put Metal plate back into position on the mini winicker and lightly screw in a couple of screws to keep the metal plate in position leaving some of the screw holes empty. With a metal object (be creative, a very hard piece of wood could work as well) tap the metal around the open holes until they are recessed into the counter sunk wood enough to clear a knife sliding along the surface of the metal plate. Put screws in finished holes and repeat the process for the rest of the screw holes.

Next tap the metal plate near the outside edges of the wood folding the metal flat against the sides, top and bottom of the mini winicker. DO NOT touch the inside u-shape part yet! Now secure the sides, top and bottom with screws. You can countersink the sides, top and bottom if you wish however it isn't necessary since only the face of the metal plate comes in contact with the knife.

NOW for the inside u-shape part. With a metal file, file the inside of the metal plate a little past the surface of the wood (see picture above). this allows the compressed tobacco to decompress slightly without catching on to the metal plate and separating it from the wood.

YOUR DONE!! OK, I know that sounded complicated but it really is easier than it sounds.

I used 22 gauge steel sheet metal which is available at most hardware stores. Stainless steel should be fine as well. I did not consider using galvanized metal as I have heard it could pose a health risk if burnt and inhaled.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:54 am 

ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATIONS for shredding with the MINI-WINICKER

After compressing 1/2 lb tobacco by turning the handle until the end cap begins to separate from the main body and letting it sit for just a few minutes, you will end up with a very nice brick of tobacco. However the end near the push block always gets the least amount of tobacco due to the fact that adding to much would over flow the push block. This causes that end to get compressed sideways far more than the rest so when I get to the last 3 and 1/4 in I turn the brick 90 degrees. This continues an excellent shred throughout the entire brick.

I keep my tobacco leaves at about 70% humidity for shredding there is no need to add additional water before compressing. Adding water causes the shredded tobacco to stick together which is a real pain. However if it's to dry it crumbles and that's no good either. 65% - 75% works perfect.

I have also found that a 1/3 turn on the handle in between cuts gives me the best shred for stuffing cigarette tubes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:12 pm 

Here's a few pictures of some newly shredded tobacco.

Image :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:11 pm 

Ido, I got ur concept now...

ur shaving a compressed bale!

...Nice looking woodshop tools there... my own are all, well, u guessed it... rusty

So how about taking that bale to the joiner... or passing a 3" joiner/planer at the end of a bale ?
(I really like power tools! :roll: )

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:46 am 

rustycase wrote:
Ido, I got ur concept now...

ur shaving a compressed bale!

...Nice looking woodshop tools there... my own are all, well, u guessed it... rusty

So how about taking that bale to the joiner... or passing a 3" joiner/planer at the end of a bale ?
(I really like power tools! :roll: )

Best
rc

Well kind of sort of but, It's more like a brick than a bale and even then the process starts when you put loose leaves into the machine.

You don't end up with a brick instill you clamp the top down and turn the Handel compressing the tobacco. Then all you have to do is slice off a little every 1/2 to 1/3 turn or so.

In my opinion this process is a lot easier than machines like the "Cuthof" tobacco shredder because you don't have to make a brick first. It's all done in one easy step and as long as the tobacco is at the right moisture for smoking (about 70%) there is no need to add water or dry the tobacco afterwards. Its ready to roll as soon as its cut.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the work shop tools rc. Your profile and mine (if I had one) are pretty much the same. I'm also a beat up construction worker (among other things) and even though I live on the east coast, I rode a motorcycle to the "Rock Store" for breakfast about 10 years ago.

As far as the plainer idea goes I gave that serious consideration before deciding to make my machine. A hand power plainer has the blades attached to a cylinder and therefore would only make short cuts instead of the preferred long ones I get with the "MINI WINICKER".

A larger plainer like this DJ-20 has the the same issues not to mention the overkill factor.

OK I admit I'm showing off a little but, I figured a power-tool lover might be able to appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:24 am 

Hey Ido,

OK... u right...
at the rotating speed of the cutter head it would give short cuts even though I sometimes get longer trimmings flying off mine.
it wouldn't happen with the baccy...

That's OK... :) You have every right to show off nice tools!
All the hard work it takes to buy em... Whew!
But many of em are a pleasure to use.

OK I'll admit I'm jealous of your dust system.
Never had one, so I've been working overtime for years.

Anymore, it's like I'm all dressed up and nowhere to go.
The tools just sit collecting dust.
Tried to sell off some a while back and no one's buying!

Even tried some artsy stuff for a while... it's not selling.
Trying to come up with some new options now...

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:04 pm 

Hi
looks neat and should work. i was looking at tools too. with green in the eyes :mrgreen: As a retired furniture manufacturer , I used a lot of the power tools and some of the really antique types too. just what ever it took to do job. On the street I live on in a 1 1/2 mile streach out 5 miles in to the county threre are 7 guys that have there tools in garage and work under a carport in front of garage doors. All are always busy even with the job market the way it is . They seem to find some thing to work on. I was under the belief if you kept your tools , the tools would keep you. I.ve been disabled for 10 yrs and still have most of my tools. The ones I got rid of were duplicates. I cann only think of one that I have not used in 10 yrsof retirement . A large bandsaw . but most of the work on it can be done on the saber saw or the jig saw.
One guy makes custom made kitchen cabinets. another makes miniture towns , biuldinings for model railroads. and sells them on ebay. one does all kinds of remodeling jobs . One just works as handyman. contractors have to have bonding and liceneses and lots of paper work. handy man no employees and one little license. but he can't hire some one to work for him either I would not be in rush to sell tools. lee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:03 pm 

why don't ya build me one? I'll pay ya for it. Its the tits.

Dr.Bob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:44 am 

Idonno,
I've been kicking around some ideas for a shredder and just found this thread. your miniwinicker looks just what I've been looking for.
Fine Job!

I've got a few ideas to throw at ya as I've got a couple ideas to try when I make one myself

1. did you consider instead of clamping down the top cover, to slot the sides and have a wider cover that would slide in from the handle side? It might be a little tougher to pack the baccy and then slide the cover on, but seems it would allow use without all the clamps
2. same with the end cap, have slotted sides so end could be lifted out once compressed and ready to slice
3. what about a blade secured to one side like a paper cutter in fashion. with a longer handle for better leverage.

Yesterday I was fooling around with cutting slots in an old circular saw blade that I would have sharpened in the fashion of some of the rotary shredders I've seen, but I sure like your idea better.

Thanks for the post
jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:12 pm 

...well, what about a shearing blade pivoting off to one side, held on a post/axle with a compresson spring...

then, run a connecting rod link to a rotating crank with a hand lever to spin the crank and lift the blade up and down.

Rube Goldberg ?

I like the rotating blade best. with a screw driven feed... Teck 1
w/o the roller feed.

rc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:44 pm 

Idonno,
well I tried to make a few improvements and a similar model to what you made, but I had a few mistakes.
1st, I made it too deep a well and it was impossible to cut
2nd, my idea of using the aluminum rod to hold the end cap and also act as a slicing guide didn't work out either.
I made an end cap from an old chainsaw bar which worked great, but the baccy stuck out to far then when trying to cut and it didn't have a firm surface to rest on and basically bent over as I tried cutting.
here are a few pics of my attemp that didn't work, ohh well back to the drawing board

on the plus side, the sliding lit did work really well as did the top rods to keep it from spreading under pressure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:45 pm 

Hey CJ,
Guess I'm kinda thick?????

Is the lever at the backside turning a screw drive that pushes a block under the sliding lid which compresses baccy against the chainsaw bar ? Then u slip out the bar and slice off the baccy that protrudes from the end, between the U bent rods while turning the lever to press more baccy forward where the next pass can be cut?

is that correct ?
rc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:42 pm 

correct.
The premise was to crank the handle until it was noticibly compressing the baccy against the chainbar, leave it for a while to "set" and when ready to cut, slip the chainbar out and crank a little by little and use the u-bars as knife guide.
problem is, the "cake" is too thick and when I tried to cut using the bars as guides, there was no support underneath and it just ripped it rather than cutting it.

The block is 1.25" thick so that was another problem, it was really too thick to slice through cleanly.
Here is a pic with the lid slid forward to show the block pressing on the baccy

All is not lost though, I took the brick out and it was compressed as tight as an alfalfa cube. so I sliced it all with a meat clever which work very well.
so it doesn't work well as intended, but it makes a heck of a brick press!

The sliding cover has promise also. sure I can't back it in a lot and try to get the cover on, but if I fill it as much as I can, then slide the lid forward, then back off the screw to add more behind this, slide the lid back and crank again, I was able to make a solid brick of baccy 4" wide x 1.25" thick by 8" long.

and what the heck, if I give up on this thing as a baccy tool, I can always re-purpose it as a clay brick press :roll: