How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Cheapo Shredder
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:32 pm 

That would be just too kewl and so appreciated

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 am 

Hi
I went to thrift store found a paper shredder for $3 didn't run. It came with stand and basket /bin for waste below. I took top off and then motor, put a 1/2 " pipe with elbow and nother pice of pipe for handle. slipped right over the shaft were motor was. drilled hole thro pipe and shaft and used cotter pin. then cut slot for handle to stick out and cut opening for paper a little larger for leafs to go through. I now ron leafs through wery fast by hand crank . I don't strip from center stem any more just run it through. Then I put that through a pasta queen noddle making machine. as i put it into pasta machine i pull the big stems out then no more stripping. I just filled a 3 pound coffee can stripping shredding every thing less than 10 minutes. all of this came from post that I read here and another post on pasta machine. I thank you all for your ideas and comments. oh I gave $6 for the pasta machine at thrift store . now i just need more baccy and faster way to roll them .thanks again Lee
as side note I tore a store bought cigerettee apart and looked at tobacco cut up in it and this is so close to same wife couldn't tell which was which. really about same thanks again lee wife just said she picks a lot of hard pieces of stem out as makes cigerettes so will start removing more stem before shredding next time lee

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:16 pm 

Does it shred fine enough for cigarettes or do you smoke a pipe?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:10 pm 

hi it is for ciggerettes

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:20 pm 

hi he paper shredder has 59 wheel cutters in 9 1/2 " and cuts at 3/16 " wide strips . the pasta cutter has 90 wheel cutters in 5 2/4 " so cuts at 1 /16" the tobacco feeds trough fast and easy in big cutter first then i lay it at angle across pasta cutter and it goes right through comes out asorted sizes but none too big and none to small.we use anold hand held zig zag tube stuffer and it works good. tobacco needs to be at case i guess is what you call it . not dry it crumbles , nd not wet it sticks to cutters. If tobacco is just pliable soft but feels almost dry it works well. if it does start to stick and bunch up , ijust turn handle backwards and it un clogs fast hope this helps it sore does for us Lee

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:54 pm 

Hi little update on my shredding .went to kiln and got what was left on 1 shelf some full leaves and some parts.most was just right for shredding some a little to wet and some ends to dry. left it set covered in plastic bag overnight . This morning I stripped it from center ribs starting at small end and just pulled it down and off 1 pull for each side on most of it . 10 minutes, had 18 center ribs and a couple of pieces. Ran it through the paper shreder took 20 minutes. Hard for me to crank one hand and try to feed it or rather get it started with other so lots of start and stopping . need to work on better hopper. When i started to put it through the pasta shrreder it wanted to stick. Was still alittle to moist. spread it out on trays fan blowing across it and went to town backin 3 hours. Tried to shred in pasta machine and it worked fine took 20 minutes to do all of it this time. need to work on hopper / feed on this to. wife said it was cut good so put in 3 # coffee can.It came 1" from top. weighed empty can on scales .6 tenths pound . Full can weighed 1 # even, digatel scales only weigh in .2 tenths of pound so wieghts can be off 1 tenth +/-. looks like 1/2 pound to me give or take 1 tenth of pound or about 8 oz, 18 good sized leaves maybe 20 with pieces looks like just over one plant or one really good plant . My time 50 minutes . not much work at thaat even for me, Thought it came out rather good . Just saw where she had old Top cigarette tobacco can setting here and it says 6 oz. it filled it twice and about 1/3 again . not packed in just dumped in . Most people would do a little faster useing both hands i was pleased lee wish i had better scales .

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:37 pm 

Hi Lee
I stored my desnaked :lol: baccy in ziplock bags in the basement.During the winter it got quite dry but just put apple halves in the bags a couple days before shredding and worked awesome.Now,with the humidity back it's pretty much in case in the bag.

What i do is remove the hopper for the initial cut and then reinstall the hopper and run it through a couple more times to get what i want.After the first cut i can run a pound through it in less than a minute.

Have Fun :)

Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:57 pm 

Hi
Just looked at pics of your paper cshredder and insides are differant than mine mine has more wheels / cutters and doesnot have those extra cutters on wheeels it is just knurled wheels like edges of quarters. also it has plastic dividers between wheels that makes it hard to start tobacco in . once it is started it feeds it self pulls the baccy intill next leaf and start again. I broke out some of the palstic on edges and gives more room to start the leaf. haven't tried to run it back through yet , but should , may save a step. the hopper was just slot big enough to put in couple sheets of paper i cut it out so is 2" wide now but still little problem getting leaf down to wheels. thanks lee it cuts at 3/16 " wide strips
thanks again Lee

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 pm 

Somebody gave me a paper shredder for a Xmas gift a few years back. Bless her heart, it was in the right place, but she didn't know that I burn documents, not shred them. I kept it anyway because I thought I might find a use for it. After reading this, I decided to try it out on my leaves. I didn't take anything apart, I just shoved the leaves in the slot where the paper would have gotten shoved if I used it for it's intended purpose. It's humid here today so the leaves were already in proper case. I pressed them under concrete blocks for 30 minutes to flatten them out so they would easily feed into the slot.

No problem, it grabbed the leaves like a dollar bill machine and ate the leaves faster than I could feed it. It did a great job of shredding, but I still got the same 3/16" ribbons that Lee got. OK for pipe, or maybe for rolling, but not good for stuffing.

The slot was too narrow to run the shreds through for a 2nd shredding, and rather than taking it apart to put a hopper on it, I decided to flip it upside down on it's glass box where I had more area to put the shreds into. That worked except that it turned the ribbons into powder...not flakes, POWDER.

Anyhow, that's where I'm at with it now. I might modify it to accept a hopper for running a 2nd or 3rd shredding in the right direction, or just leave it for pipe tobacco and continue modifying my guillotine paper cutter which does a great job and almost as fast.

Of course all that is until I get rich enough to afford my Dream Machine! (Fast forward to 4:40 if you want to see what this bad boy can do)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 pm 

FmGrowIt wrote:
Put it in a zip lock bag, then microwave for 5 seconds. Shake the bag lightly to mix,

Don's not kidding when he advises to shake the bag "lightly". When that extra hot, extra dry baccy comes out of the oven, it is Super Fragile! I tried this a couple nights ago and shook it violently and every bit of my beautifully cut ribbons crumbled into flakes. Still no problem stuffing or smoking though, just that I like it better with finely cut ribbons.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:45 am 

I am still using my Presto Salad Shooter. There are a few down sides but the tobacco stuffs well. You just have to make sure that the tobacco is not too dry and not too moist. It gets easier as you go. I will drop it in a minute for a Cuthoff.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:43 am 

You know, I'm using what is essentially a coffee grinder and the tobacco stuffs well smokes even and the fire doesn't fall off. I was after a Cuthof too, until I found this, now I'm content with my 'baccy shredder' and it only cost me 23 bucks.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:18 am 

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_011V001065431000P?keyword=kitchen+scale&prdNo=1

i like these scales - cheap yet very reliable they measure in grams as well as oz. and up to 5lbs

if your gonna weigh somethin might as well do it with somethin that works well

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:45 am 

Hi all
Taxedenough I tried running my tobacco through 2 and 3 times . and found that on My paper shredder it works best to cut twice then thrid time use the pasta maker. The cutter blades/wheels on mine are differant than on yours. but it did help to run them the secound time. After that once through the pasta cutter, alittle at a time and real nice. two much and wants to bunch up but a little at time and feeds about as fast as can put it in. very easy and real fast , and just the right size not to long and not dust. lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:09 pm 

Hi all
Thought I might update some on my shreading progress.
I have pretty much put the paper shreader to doing the mail, for the worm bed.
I have put the sewing machine on way back burner and thinking about taking motor.
I have tryied meat cutter and will try it again when I get a little younger. Or at least not to busy.
So I am down to past cutter.
I did a lot the last couple days. I have filled 8 of the large coffee cans . As close as I can tell there is about 1/2 pound in each can. I ran all of this through twice. Nothing else none of the other types of shreading.
Ok now for the surprize I had. The last can that I did ta da ,... I did not strip the main leaf. I had pressed these so that they laid flat not twiisted . I started feeding little end in when they got good start I held on to just the big stem and just before it went out of sight , I pulled it back out even while I was cranking forward. The stem slid out and was split like tooth picks. I did run into some that were to big and just stopped and tore off leaf there then pulled out stem and cranked them through. After going through first time I patted them down with hand and found a few pieces of stem about the size of a round tooth pick but only half as long. I took those out had about 25 altogether. Ran through again and patted again only found one or two pieces of stem then. :shock:
So the last can was about 1/2 pound and took me 1 hour total. I did not spend much time stripping stems which was always a hassle for us. I don't know if this will work every time but it sure did this time and made it a lot faster and easier.
The tobacco I shreaded in last can had a lot of small leaves and was on the dry side of case. Most times when did not want to feed it was to dry and a quick spray mist was all it took. Light spray and crank away. Yeah
Ok I did not work as fast as I could and no where near as fast as most of you would. I kinda worked half fast. :oops: But was sure happy with the results. :lol: Will try some more later when I get some more pressed flat. Lee
I have been using this used pasta machine since may 6 2010 gave $6.00

Last edited by smbdyiam on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.