How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pressing tobacco into blocks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:53 pm 

Can anyone tell me where I can get a tool or item that I can use to compress and block tobacco.I saw a post on here about a guy that sells a little wooden item that you put in a vice but I can not seem to find that post anymore :?:

Post subject: Re: Pressing tobacco into blocks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:57 pm 

If you mean the press shown in this post then I am afraid the company is no longer trading.
viewtopic.php?p=4103#p4103

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:41 pm 

The press units were offered by Sun Butler (grandad-soyota), no longer in business. I used to purchase organic whole leaf from Sun, but elected to make my own press unit. I'm a retired custom cabinetmaker-builder. I'll be posting up a description of my design in the commercial section for selling purposes. My idea is to make a run of 20 if enough people are interested, to keep the price decent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:50 am 

I am going to be trying to compress some of last year's tobacco crop this weekend. I have misted the leaves so they are moist and pliable. I will wait until they are NOT damp before compressing them into a block using a padding "press" (same type a printer would use to make notepads).

My question is: How long should I leave the tobacco under compression? A day? Two days? A week? Until the edges are dry? A little info would be a great help.

Thanks Tom ->-{

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:49 am 

hi
There are posts on making bricks for shredding.
There are posts for making bales for storage.
Both use a box and a press. one is small other is much larger.
If you are pressing for shredding just over nigt seems to work since you are just holding it in shape till shredded.
If You are pressing to store . I believe that as soon as you have it to the compaction you want and size that you want . You can bind it up to keep that shape. lonnie had some pictures of the press he made for this . do a search under his name and should find it . He wraps his with a saran wrap and stores it like ttthat. lee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:34 pm 

Don't waste your time pressing tobacco into a block and then shredding it. Get yourself a used hand crank pasta maker and just feed the leaves into it. You can shred a pound of leaf in about 5 minutes!

Randy B

here's an example .. http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-PASTA-MACHINE- ... 415b48934e

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:10 am 

Heres a press that I found. You can build this with a few tools and a little cash. It doesnt look very flimsy. Id build it if I needed one!

http://www.pyroguide.com/index.php?titl ... ulic_press

http://www.pyroguide.com/images/6/6a/Hy ... _Press.JPG

Last edited by sticks on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:01 am 

When I used the electric slicer to cut tobacco I'd lay out the tobacco on an inverted cake pan, a layer oriented end to end, the next side to side. When I had laid out about a pound of leaf I'd roll it and wrap it with some long ribless leaves, basically making a big cigar. Next I'd wrap it in butcher paper and press it overnight. My press was two computer side covers and whatever chunks of rock were handy (I have a variety of materials intended for pipes and other projects) I'd put the tobacco log on one cover, put the other on top, and balance about 25 to 30 pounds of rock above the tobacco log. It held up pretty well while slicing and fluffed up reasonably easily.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:02 am 

And why do we want to press tobacco?????

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:28 pm 

Jitterbugdude wrote:
And why do we want to press tobacco?????

Some methods of cutting tobacco work best with a plug or block. With a slicer it's easier to get a consistent cut from a block than you'll get when trying to cut loose leaves. You can also get a good fine cut from a block or plug using a nice sharp knife.

Last edited by tekwyzrd on Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:58 pm 

And I'll add that, for some pipe tobacco, a flake (slice of a press block) is the goal. The flake can be stuffed directly into the bowl, broken then stuffed, or rubbed out to a varying degree prior to stuffing, depending on whether you want a slow, medium or hot burn rate, respectively.

It sometimes makes sense to press a blend of shredded tobacco into a block, in order to age it for a month or more, maximizing the melding of the ingredients. In blending cube-cut or granular cut tobacco with ribbon cut tobacco, a press-cake prevents the blend from separating by size (flotation), until ready to use.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:52 am 

That clears it up.. flaked tobacco, I forgot about that. I thought maybe everyone was doing this as a way to shred tobacco.
Randy B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:01 am 

Jitterbugdude wrote:
That clears it up.. flaked tobacco, I forgot about that. I thought maybe everyone was doing this as a way to shred tobacco.
Randy B

I can get a shag cut similar to what you find in a pouch of American Spirit or Drum using a block of pressed leaf and a knife or slicer, and it's also similar to what I get with my hand crank cast iron tobacco cutter. It may not be as fast as a pasta cutter but I prefer a finer cut than some people. The cut of tobacco affects it's burn temperature and rate and affects the flavor and feel of the smoke. I don't like wide pieces since they can hinder flow through a tube. For me, a long fine cut also reduces the number of lost ashes and embers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:22 pm 

tekwyzrd wrote:
Jitterbugdude wrote:
Randy B

I can get a shag cut similar to what you find in a pouch of American Spirit or Drum using a block of pressed leaf and a knife or slicer, and it's also similar to what I get with my hand crank cast iron tobacco cutter. It may not be as fast as a pasta cutter but I prefer a finer cut than some people. The cut of tobacco affects it's burn temperature and rate and affects the flavor and feel of the smoke. I don't like wide pieces since they can hinder flow through a tube. For me, a long fine cut also reduces the number of lost ashes and embers.

Maybe I should have been more specific. I use the kind of pasta cutter with 3 different rollers on it. I use the spaghetti roller and it will make the thinnest tobacco cut you can think of! I also have one of those hand crank cast iron tobacco cutters and it sets on my shelf.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:54 pm 

hi
I have taken tobacco that was pressed very flat. and then stored . When I put it into my pasta shredder it shredded very fast and easy. I fed it in holding the large stem straight down and when almost out of site just pulled the large stem straight back up. shredded very good and I didn't have to destem. ended up with nice cut and no stem pieces in mix. Lee