How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How much would a good shredder be worth?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 pm 

bigbonner wrote:
I need a shredder where I can destem and chop bales weighing about 90 pounds at a time . So $4000 would be a bargan for me .

I was under the belief we were discussing shredders for personal use. Commercial shredders are very expensive but not cost effective for 100 plants per year. Try alababa.com. I saw some commercial shredders from China that looked interesting but the cost is far above $4,000.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:21 pm 

Is it something I can bolt inside a gas powered leaf shredder?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 pm 

What an Idea that is :idea:
Wonder what a Handheld Gas Blower-Vacume with a bagger could do running it through a couple of time's :?: The tree leave's get ground up by the impeller and the leaves look like flake tobacco.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am 

Hi
I still like the one that I have .
But if I didn't have one I would think of this seriously. I have a cheap electric blower/mulcher costs less than $69. maybe as low as $29 at lowes 3 years ago. we were impressed at what a little machine did to oak leaves . My guess is a small one used just for tobaco and run through 2- 3 times into its own bag would be good and cheap.
Run it once dump bag and suck it up again quick, quite, and cheap. sounds good .
It would make a flake as compared to a shread but my last shreader makes more of a flake than shread too. and the tubes work good with it. lee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:43 pm 

smbdyiam wrote:
and the tubes work good with it. lee

That's all that counts. My salad shooter does both, shreds or flakes depending on how dry the tobacco is. It's a little frustrating at times but either way works in the tubes. I am exploring mounting razor knife blades since my salad shooter can't be sharpened.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:06 am 

Striped the gear out of mine so I hooked it up to a drill .Be careful not to burn up retaner ring .I give it 2 or 3lb. before its in the bone yard.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:48 am 

Boboro wrote:
Be careful not to burn up retainer ring .I give it 2 or 3lb. before its in the bone yard.

I had suggested a variable speed drill motor for a hand crank shredder. Thanks for pointing out the flaw. So now I have to find small bearings for mine (still in the planning stage).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:17 pm 

hi
I happened to be close to Office Max last month and went in and looked at some paper shreaders. I looked at a few and was impressed by one called micro cut. I have 2 paper shreaders and 2 pasta shreaders that i've used for a couple years to shread tobacco. so didn't need a new one just intested in seeing new ones.
I was looking at the diferent cuts that each did and was impressed by the micro cut. It is roughly 3/16" by 3/8" and folded 90º in middle. So after thinking about it for couple weeks I went and got one .
I brought it home took the top off. removed 4 screws and took out a divider that was made for credit cards. I put top back on noticed a couple of rollers that keep fingers out .
When we tried it was really surprised at speed and ease. I took a 1/2"dowel and shaved it down a little to help push small pieces of tobacco into the rollers. keeps fingers away.
Wife now does a large coffee can full of shreaded tobacco in just minutes.
last month we had to clean all of our pasta cutters and shreaders that had gotten a build up of tobacco on cutters. we found that a quick LITTLE spray of Pam cooking spray cleaned and lubed all at same time.
So for now we use this new shreader and are really happy with it. That extra little fold helps in the stuffing pack of tubes not to tight or too loose. the pam spray keeps it working good.
Again I cain't tell you how pleased we are . ONE PASS , ONCE THROUGH , IT IS DONE quickest and easyiest we have seen.
The one we got is called micro cut 10 sheet office max mideium duty. hope this helps some others . We got it on sale at $99 It is regularly $149. Lee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:49 am 

Hi
I thought I might update last post a little. I mentioned that we used pam cooking spray on our cutters. Pam cooking spray is just olive oil in pressurized can. I don't belive there is any thing harmful there. wife hasn't noticed any change in flavor of her cigerettes but did say that she doesn't have as much fire falling off as she did have. She says she doesn't know if it is from the cooking spray that gets on the tobaccxo or the the little fold that is in this cut from new paper shreader. Either way she has been happy with it And I sure like not being an old cranker any more. as I said earlier ONCE THROUGH AND DONE. AND JUST A LIGHT SPRAY of the cooking oil. We had some heavy leaves that it did real well and some really fine thin leaves that it made a little larger cut on but still stuffed good with one pass . Lee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:25 am 

According to the msds info the original PAM cooking spray is canola oil with 14% ethanol and 5% nitrous oxide propellant. The msds is available via this link

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:20 pm 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
smbdyiam wrote:
hi
I happened to be close to Office Max last month and went in and looked at some paper shreaders. I looked at a few and was impressed by one called micro cut. I have 2 paper shreaders and 2 pasta shreaders that i've used for a couple years to shread tobacco. so didn't need a new one just intested in seeing new ones.
I was looking at the diferent cuts that each did and was impressed by the micro cut. It is roughly 3/16" by 3/8" and folded 90º in middle. So after thinking about it for couple weeks I went and got one .
I brought it home took the top off. removed 4 screws and took out a divider that was made for credit cards. I put top back on noticed a couple of rollers that keep fingers out .
When we tried it was really surprised at speed and ease. I took a 1/2"dowel and shaved it down a little to help push small pieces of tobacco into the rollers. keeps fingers away.
Wife now does a large coffee can full of shreaded tobacco in just minutes.
last month we had to clean all of our pasta cutters and shreaders that had gotten a build up of tobacco on cutters. we found that a quick LITTLE spray of Pam cooking spray cleaned and lubed all at same time.
So for now we use this new shreader and are really happy with it. That extra little fold helps in the stuffing pack of tubes not to tight or too loose. the pam spray keeps it working good.
Again I cain't tell you how pleased we are . ONE PASS , ONCE THROUGH , IT IS DONE quickest and easyiest we have seen.
The one we got is called micro cut 10 sheet office max mideium duty. hope this helps some others . We got it on sale at $99 It is regularly $149. Lee

I've been using a paper shredder all year
My pasta maker is a pain to use,
the paper shredder works like a champ