How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How much would a good shredder be worth?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:13 am 

Post plenty of photos.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 am 

Good idea to look in gallery for pics of the Teck 1 shredder...
rc

Value?

OK, I could look at it like this...

The top ciggie injector machine on the scene today is the T2.
It goes for abt $50.

Those same people should be able to make a personal sized shredder, to match it for the same money.

...a chute for compressing the leaf,and forcing it toward a rotary shearing blade which is hand cranked.
Just not much to it... all stampings and castings of mostly base metal. hardened steel blades for the shear part.

What do u think?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:18 am 

I just spent about $30 on a plan that was iffy at best. So far it didn't work. Next I spent about $40 for a pasta maker. After a shaky start it is working just fine but requires that all tobacco be passed through it 3 times. Not a huge big deal but who wants the extra work. a one time through shredder that gives me a cut I want and is fast. Well since what people wants varies widely I woudl say a machine needs to be adjustable. needs to work for cigarette and pipe tobacco. be reliable. That means you do not have a ton of learning curve or fiddling. stick tobacco in and run it. tobacco comes out shredded. something like that woudl be worth at least a couple hundred dollars and depending on how stout it is built I don't think $400 would be out of line. It would be a harder sell though. What it would really need is a reputation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:55 pm 

$400 is really way too much. Most of us are cheap... I mean frugal. The 16 dollars I spent for my salad shooter was great. It may not be appreciated by everyone but it is great for me. It is motorized, passes through once and the cut is fine enough for my tube filler. It took about four or five uses to get the tobacco from being too damp or too dry but after that was fine.

Prior to that I thought about getting one of the shredders through Seedman.com and modifying it to use a drill motor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 pm 

hi
$000.00
After playing with my pasta cutters for over a year , and playing with a paper shreader same time . Then with a sewing machine that was to slow cutting . I finally found the perfect one for us. I was at school and they had a papper shreader that didn.t work. So ralph gave it to me. I played with making a hand crank, cut opening larger to take in more leaf faster. this is basiclly like other paper shreader except it has a acut off on the shreaders to keep from getting long shreads.

After months of working on it slowly. I used it a week or so ago. Put about a pound and half through fairly fast . Bagged it and told wife I would run it through pasta cutter latter. 2 days later I thought about it and went to run it trough pasta machine and couldn't find it. wife says I been smoking it for 2 days it works great packs just right and fire doesn't fall off.
I said I was going to finish it today she says it is finished and smokes good.
So I have a shreader that we run tobacco through once and she smokes it .
Total cost $000.00 and 2 skinned knuckles. Lee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:36 am 

smbdyiam wrote:
hi
So I have a shreader that we run tobacco through once and she smokes it .
Total cost $000.00 and 2 skinned knuckles. Lee

What model is it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 am 

Got a pic of it, Iam?
rc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:02 pm 

Hi
It is a Fellows C-220C It stands 31" high and is 18" x 15 "on casters. has a removable wastcan inside was used at school board offices so seen a lot of use. was never cleaned good just emptyed . ended up getting paper clog and stripped first gear on motor. Plastic. :? I found plastic folders and paper clips and card board files parts inside when i cleaned and took apart. I thought about writing company and getting gear to replace . Then thought what I can turn it by hand . So mde crank . the cutters have little hooks on them that cut off strips before they get real long. It makes more of a flake than a shread about 3/8 inch across. but it fills tubes with her machine and draws good and she doesn't lose fire like she was. surprised me when I found she was useing the tobacco with out going through a secound cut.
I imagane that school paid a bunch for it.
It is neat that I can drop tobacco in turn crank and it is done in a plastic trash bag inside of a trash can. no mess to clean . I did cut the opening large to make it easerto load.
Lee
found this picture of it lee http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Powershr ... B00004U8R0

Last edited by smbdyiam on Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:20 pm 

I'll look it up. I like the fact that it shreds directly into a bag.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:57 am 

Here is what I found but most places list it as unavailable.

Fellowes® Powershred® Model C-220Ci ( I could not find Just C anywhere)

Our Price: $625
List Price: $1,299

Warranty Info:
3 Years for machine
Lifetime on cutting heads

Shipping:$50.00
Condition: New

Discontinued
Replaced by Fellowes C-225Ci

$400 is getting cheaper by the minute

The 225Ci that replaced it is proced at $717

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:50 am 

For $400 you can buy 100 to 120 cheap packs of cheap cigarettes already shreaded. No matter how you slice it (no play on words) $400 is just way too much. You may sell a few but I would bet not many.

I would use Bob's technique of using a razor knife and a straight edge before throwing away $400 (yeah, I went back and watched Bob's videos on Youtube). The Cuthoff (SP?) is less than half that with exchangeable blades.

I'm waiting for the person that comes up with a reliable shredder for under $60 dollars. I have been working on it for a while

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:30 am 

Hi

Remember I said Mine was free? 2 skinned knuckles. It was gave to me because it didn't work . I changed to hand power and opened it up for easier fills. I would not , nor can afford, to pay $400 for one either.
I do think that with a little work and thought that one can find a way for a lot less.
On a update on this ::: my wife says we ran this trought twice . I said we did it once. geez I cannot win with wife so this is what she says we did. We ran it through once very easy. Took the bag out and put in a new bag . She then the poured the shreaded from the bag into the new shreader while I turned crank.Was no problems and went right through quickly. I thought it looked a litle big and told her I would run it through the pasta machine next day. The next day she tried some and has been smoking it ever since. Eleminated pasta machine.
So It may have gone through twice . Will see once I shread some more.
But either way it is still the fastest and easiest that we have did.
Both of the paper shreaders that I got ,came with basket and bags for the tobacco to go into. really cuts down on clean up time. This last one has a speacial little hook on the cutting wheels to keep it short pieces. Lee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:27 am 

This is a $35 Prago cabbage shredder from Walmart.

It slices vegetables into 1mm strips, using 3 blades. While I can't attest to its use for tobacco, the simple concept seems sound, if your tobacco is densely pressed.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:47 am 

smbdyiam wrote:
Hi

Remember I said Mine was free? 2 skinned knuckles. It was gave to me because it didn't work . I changed to hand power and opened it up for easier fills. I would not , nor can afford, to pay $400 for one either.
I do think that with a little work and thought that one can find a way for a lot less.
On a update on this ::: my wife says we ran this trough twice . I said we did it once. geez I cannot win with wife so this is what she says we did. We ran it through once very easy. Took the bag out and put in a new bag . She then the poured the shredded from the bag into the new shredder while I turned crank.Was no problems and went right through quickly. I thought it looked a little big and told her I would run it through the pasta machine next day. The next day she tried some and has been smoking it ever since. Eliminated pasta machine.
So It may have gone through twice . Will see once I shred some more.
But either way it is still the fastest and easiest that we have did.
Both of the paper threaders that I got ,came with basket and bags for the tobacco to go into. really cuts down on clean up time. This last one has a special little hook on the cutting wheels to keep it short pieces. Lee

Actually, I wasn't referring to you when I commented on the $400 dollars. Your setup is great and at this stage anything that works is fair game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:42 am 

I need a shredder where I can destem and chop bales weighing about 90 pounds at a time . So $4000 would be a bargan for me .