How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How much would a good shredder be worth?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:13 am 

Would $400.00 be too much to pay for a shredder? If it works reliably and well and did not require the making of bricks or replacing of blades? If it made the good stringy cut that everybody dreams about?
I am in the process of building one for myself. With custom machining, drive motor, bearings, feed mechanism I will have that much in it.
AM I NUTS?

Dr.Bob

Post subject: Re: How much would a good shredder be worth?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:27 am 

Prototypes always cost more (much more) then the one manufactured for sale. After the first prototype and testing, they're are generally several others which refine the product.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:40 am 

Hi --

If your materials cost is $400, and assuming you put 5 hours labor into it at $30/hour for $150 (just say) aren't you asking if it's worth $550 plus at least $550 in profit, or $1100 each?

That's how I'd work the numbers. Now, SC Yankee is right, costs will drop as the labor drops from 5 hours (just say) to 2 hours to make it, and as the materials costs goes from $400 to $200 or less when you are buying parts in higher quantities.

I would approach it a different way. Look at what machines are on the market now, their price and how their feature set compares with your feature set, then price it accordingly. Be fair about the features. Speed of operation, reliability (if it can be determined), adjustable shred size or fixed, leaf has a narrow range of moisture content to make it work right or wider, &etc. Then back-track using 50% profit (double your cost for profit remembering that it will actually be less because of overhead expenses) and see if you can ultimately make it for that cost. Also, if you aren't going to sell it direct to the final customer and expect to sell to a retail storefront, you might see they will want at least 25% over their cost before they will sell it, or even more.

I'll be glad to offer it to my customers if you can get the price/feature at a point where I can make a buck.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:45 am 

Additionally, let's say that for some reason the cost can't be brought down to an area affordable to the masses, they you could alter your design to make it more expensive and process more tobacco. Then instead of going into the device selling business, you could offer shredding services to those outside of California (due to whole leaf shipping restrictions).

Might charge $1.50 a pound plus shipping. That might be attractive to those who couldn't afford the shredder itself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:00 am 

I may consider one if it was under $200 (including shipping), if under $100, I wouldn't think twice about buying one.

I'm growing my own to save money. $400+ (I assume shipping is not included in your quote) is too large of an expense for me.

I agree with the others, prototyping is expensive compared to production. Buying things in quantity/wholesale is cheaper.

You mention custom machining, I would try to find as many at market parts I could and incorporate into the design.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:08 pm 

I have been following comments about the development of this shredder elsewhere it is said to produce a shred like factory tobacco. It is also said to be capable of shredding significantly tougher materials than tobacco. $400 per unit is the anticipated final selling price presumably with shipping on top of that.

No photos of the shredded tobacco it produces have yet been made available I would need to see some before I could say how much the shredder would be worth to me personally.
The price does not sound unreasonable if the machine is as effective as is claimed after all if you were buying commercial tobacco how long would it take to spend that much? It may be a big investment but it wouldn't take long to recoup your money.
One thing that does concern me is the fact it is motorised. The antique mechanical shredders that turn up on ebay still work even though they may be over 100 years old because there is very little to go wrong with them. Once you add a motor to something it may save a bit of time & effort using it but it also significantly shortens the life of the product. When the motor fails how easily can it be repaired/replaced and at what cost?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:55 pm 

is $400 too much? for a perfect machine?
Dr.Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:09 pm 

Quote:
The antique mechanical shredders that turn up on ebay still work even though they may be over 100 years old because there is very little to go wrong with them.

I agree, I would prefer a manual hand crank type of shredder.

Not meaning to offend, but they're are no perfect machines. Except maybe the Governor of California! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:20 am 

Thank you all for your input. I was just looking for some comments. I was playing devils advocate with you. I just wanted to see what the market would bear.

At present the shred size is .040" this seems to work out good. The machine is still in development.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:56 am 

Hi --

Modern motors will run for many 1000's of hours as long as their tolerances aren't being abused. Take a swimming pool pump motor. The ones I replace now come with 5 year warranties - if they fail within 5 years, they are replaced without charge (don't tell my customers, I make them pay for a new one then get the replacement for free.)

I agree that the motor should be easily replaced. For that matter, why not offer a lower cost version that has a hand crank rather than a motor? Make the design so it's all the same except the drive mechanism.

The blades should be easily replaced and available from many sources in a standard size. If the blades are custom, then the machine should come with two sets so one set can be sent to the knife sharpener while the other is being used. The width of the shred should be adjustable, although I haven't surveyed the most common widths. If a belt drive is used, it should be a standard size belt. In fact, as much as possible, components should be off-the-shelf.

The parts liable to become grimy should be able to be put in a dish-washer, so they should come off easily. Maybe the base should be covered with a neoprene pad or other rubber to lower the vibration? I'd make the machine stand high enough that at least one pound of shredded tobacco would pile up without blocking the exit, but not so high that while standing on a typical height countertop, it is difficult to feed the leaves into it.

Finally, it should plant the seed, set out the transplants in the field after preparing it, harvest the crop, dry and cure it and with an accessory for a reasonable additional cost, smoke it for for you.

I'm sure I can come up with more on the wish list if I think about it
a little (grin).

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:32 am 

Well that let's mine out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:34 am 

We are working on a manual version of the shredder now. The electric drive mechanism is a large part of the cost of the machine. It is also safer to operate. Under $200.00 probably.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:02 am 

Go with it Bob! Keep us informed. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:30 am 

drbob wrote:
Would $400.00 be too much to pay for a shredder? If it works reliably and well and did not require the making of bricks or replacing of blades? If it made the good stringy cut that everybody dreams about?
I am in the process of building one for myself. With custom machining, drive motor, bearings, feed mechanism I will have that much in it.
AM I NUTS?

Dr.Bob

$400 is way too much unless you are enjoying the construction process and the personal challenge. There is something about starting a project that seems to make it worth the time, money and effort we put into it. It is great therapy and the feeling of accomplishment you get when it is done can't be described but we all know it. So is $400 dollars too much for a personal project? No.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:32 pm 

We will soon find out .......pretty sure mine was under 50 $ of course the only part i bought was the reel motor all the rest came from a cluttered shop ....