How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shredding Tobacco By Hand
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:06 pm 

Here's a big BUMP !

Lot's of good stuff we're re-hashing back in the earlier posts... :)

Best
rc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:28 am 

Yep.. and just to reiterate.. I use an angel hair pasta maker machine, It will shred pounds and pounds of tobacco leaf effortlessly! I highly recomend it

Randy B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:47 am 

hi Randy and All
Just a note , I saw xsmokers post on pasta cutter a long time ago. that when I first tried it . I have used it for along time now , and have read a lot of comments on it , THE ONLY COMMENT I HAVE NOT READ IS THEY DON'T LIKE IT. Every one says this works once they try it. the roughing on wheels helps . No matter how we shhread it allways helps to run it through the pasta cutter last thing. all of these models look alike think they all made same company with differant name . Lee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:51 am 

Hi --

Lee, glad you bumped this topic back up. Since I'm planning on having gobs of wheat next May, I'll be looking to get a pasta machine. Does shredding tobacco in it wreck it for making pasta?

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:07 am 

Hi Bob
not sure have n't used it on pasta yet :cry: but I did see the pasta angel hair attachment sold seperate and costs as low as $7 for a new one . If you make pasta could have 2 angel hair cutters and just swicth the attachments :lol: sears had whole thing on sale couple weeks ago for less Than $29 th hand cranked ones .
lee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:11 am 

Hi --

So a hand cranked angelhair pasta machine is the one to use? Not electric?

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:31 am 

Hi bob
Yes hand cranked pasta cutter. catch that . pasta cutter not talking machine to make pasta just to cut it after made. I talked to some one else and said they could not find cheapo, and they where looking at makers not cutters. These just roll out dough not make it . Lee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:57 am 

bob,
the pasta maker I have is probably what you are looking for. It has three sections. one for making angelhair/spaghetti, one section to make linguine, and the other section is what you use first to flatten the dough and has spacing adjustment.

After using mine for tobacco, I had to roughen up the blades so much it may gum up if I ever run pasta dough through it again.
a new pasta maker is very smooth so the dough won't stick so easy.

get two pasta makers, one for tobacco, one for pasta only.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:10 am 

Hi --

Thanks for all the tips, guys! I'll have to wait until I see on cheap at the flea market before I get one though. I've about blown my wad buying my grain mill, lol.

I'll be sure to look up the hand cranked pasta machines so I'll recognize one when I see it and know all the parts needed to make it work since used stuff can be missing parts.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 am 

A little warning about the hand crank pasta machines.
Some of us have to learn our lessons the hard way.

Just feed one leaf through the 'angel hair' attachment at a time, or if they are really thin leaves, two leaves may work. If your tobacco is thick, leathery and heavy - just one leaf at a time, flatten it out and don't let it bunch up or fold on its self.

I tried blending my tobacco at the same time as I shredded it -- i.e., running a virginia leaf and a burley together, sometimes with a turkish. I had to really bear down on the hand crank to get some of them them through, and it was pretty much an instant blend. But sometime after 12-15 lbs, it kinda quit doing a nice shred. Now it just barely shreds any leaf.

Took the attachment apart. There was a small pile of metal shavings in the gear end, and the roller bearings were all loose. I think the gears and bearings are only soft steel or pot metal.

UPS is going to deliver my new angel hair attachment today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 am 

Aha !

Tnx, LR... Perhaps a fly in the ointment ?

I have pulled the side covers off mine, and the gears are nothing more than stamped metal stars...
Now that you have mentioned the situation with yours, I can certainly envision how long the machine might last at my rate of consumption.

Anyone else using one consistently to make an assessment on longevity ?

GREAT to have a forum to discuss this sort of thing amongst each other !
THANK YOU HTGT :!: :!: :!:
rc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 am 

Hi
Strange last night I was talking to wife :lol: about this same thing . We have 2 one is an Atlas says so on box and on the main base. The attachment says Gourmet Hinmark Kitchen Made In Italy . The box says Deluxe Atlas Pasta Queen some foreign printings (looks like french and Italian). On the bottom of the box It says"MADE IN ITALY co Hinmark 1994 Hinmark Enterprises Inc.Hauppage N. Y. 11787 ITEM # 15-4590 I did not get the other one out packed in attic some place last year.
Now we have shreaded all that we grew( Have no idea exactly how much guessing about 4-5 pounds. and 27 pounds that we have bought . acouple # s went through once, all rest went through twice. and a small amount went through 3 times to see cut size.
We have feed it any amount we can start. Some times if I have gotten a lot started it takes some heft to crank like when the secound cutting decides to all go at once, :lol: We havent taken it apart. It still cuts good and was used when we got it. We have had it roughly 2 years. I do run a sheet of bounty paper towels through when done to dry and clean. It does not cut paper towel s it smashes them with a few cuts. I have not put the dremel tool cutter on wheels yet ,but have been going to. Most of time if case is right on tobacco. It is kinda self feeding so just haven't got around to it. Wife and daughter say they hear squeek in it . My modified hear ( very little) I don't hear it. Daughter gets up and leaves room :lol: :mrgreen:
We said last night that if we see the attachments or the whole thing at thrift stores again we would buy another . Sence this has date on box (may be just a copyrite) we think it may have been made out of better metal . But not sure cause even that date is realtively new for metals. Lee

Last edited by smbdyiam on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 am 

The one I have is a real cheapo. stamped gears, no bearings, etc
from stress and strain, the holes punched in the side for the roller to pass through loosened up a bit and let the gap open too much so I took a screwdriver and small hammer and "Adjusted" the hole to fit tighter and force the roller tighter to the other roller.
Another thing I've found is the springs that hold the combs tight to the roller grooves can wiggle out and lets the combs not sweep the gap and it builds up with baccy over time, I just pushed the springs back in and it's fine now.

If I get time, I'll take it apart and photograph the various parts and make notes on it and talk about what I find you must do for basic maintenance, your model may vary, but I think all of them basically work on the same principle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:10 am 

hi all
punched in pasta queen and this is first one I came to
http://blujay.com/item/DELUXE-ATLAS-PAS ... 00-3314543 It even shows the same box as mine is in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:34 am 

yup, that's very similar to mine but mine is a one piece unit. (older model of course)

side note, I found the flat rollers (for pressing dough) work great to iron out wrappers before making cigars