How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Picking a strain
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:23 pm 

Ok, I'm back. Last year ir didn't work, all my seedling got strangled by weeds. This time I'm going to use sterilized soil and transplant yhem when they're bigger.

But first, I need to pick the kind of tobacco that is best for me, and I need some help to do that.

First, it has to be easy to grow and in a mediterranean climate. I have some experience in farm working but no experience with tobacco in particular (except last years' failed attempt).

I live on the western coast of the Italian peninsula at some 100ft elevation and a couple of miles from the shore. Low and flat soil, kind of "dusty" when dry. Not really sandy, more like fine dust. Climate is, well, medierranean. Warm humid summers, not really hot but feels hotter because of hunidity. There's no "real" winter, temperatures can go below freezing once or twice a month between november and february, but it's not much below freezing and only for a couple of hours early in the morning. No snow, no ice except some rare morning frost, and temperatures mostly above freezing. It can get grey and rainy, but that's all the "winter" we have. (On the coast, that is. Up on the mountains it's a very different story.)

As for my taste in tobacco, I used to smoke dark tobacco cigarettes (Gauloises and other French brands) they they stopped selling them because the nicotine and tar content was too high for the new laws. I tried regular "blondes" but I couldn't get any satisfaction, not even removing the filter (filterless cigarettes are also banned, now).

So I switched to cigars. Toscano brand, hard cigars made mostly of locally grown Kentucky strain. They are symmetrical and very strong, so most smokers break them in two and smoke two shorter cigars. Being a formed cigarette smoker, I tended to inhale the smoke, but as the cigar is so strong, I inhaled it only once every three or four puffs.

A couple of years ago I switched to "mostly pipe" (still some cigars once in a while), mostly for budget reasons. I smoke the cheaperst stuff available, also local, but as ot tends to be too dry, I moist it with a little whisky.

I plan to snoke my own tobacco in a pipe, and maybe roll myself a few cigars if I don't find it to hard to do. I'm a real tobacco junkie, I've been smoking since I was 12, never quot, mever wanted to, and feeling good (so far). My problem is the ever increasing price, so I thought O'd try to grow my own.

Now, considering all the info, what kind of.tobacco would you recommend for me to grow?

EDIT
PS: Sorry for all those typos. I should edit them out but that's kind of hard to do on my old tablet; I keep getting disconnected and need to log in again, and the simplest tasks such as select, delete, insert, etc, can become annoyingly difficult. I hope it gets better as I get used to posting, again.

Post subject: Re: Picking a strain
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:51 am 

You might try growing Shirey. It's a dark Virginian type, a good producer, and has always done very well for me. Also you might try Harrow Velvet or KY15 Burley. Both are easy to grow and consistently produce good crops for me. And they are super easy to cure.