How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first topic, with a strain question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:03 am 

Hello

I am Jesk from the Netherlands. I am a hand rolling sigaret smoker. Have read and learned a lot this year on this great super forum, and I am on the end of my first year as a tobacco grower.

I have grown 30 plants. They are curing and fermenting right know. The first batch tasted a little too soft, probably cause it was the first priming, and the kiln was not yet in tune. But now it is. So within a month or so I could review the tobacco.

The seeds I bought from ebay said: "Virginia gold, Burley TN, and Latakia". But now I don't know which is Burley and which is Virginia... One cured very easely, the other only with much attention in pile cure..
(didn't know much about tobacco strains, now I know latakia is more for pipe and acually smoke cured.. )

But to be starting for next year, I was wondering what strain resembles the taste of American Spirit?
I know it's mainly flue cured virginia. But does air cured virginia taste the same? As there are many varieties; but is for example Yellow Twist But also a virginia?

Like to hear from you guys.. sorry for the load of questions..!

- Jesk

Post subject: Re: My first topic, with a strain question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:28 am 

From this site:

American Spirit
Index »Tobacco» Cigarette Making All times are UTC - 8 hours [DST]
oldemagics
Post subject: American Spirit
Post Posted: Sun, 20 July 2010 09:08

just for kicks the e-mailed as to see if they would disclose at least the types that are using, didnt really expect an answer.
now we get this, not just an answer, but the actual blend.
havent tried this, but it seems like it should be good, so I wonder about it after hearing people here say they are bad?

Quote:
Thanks for your email. The following information refers to our "Original Blend" tobacco Natural American Spirit.
Note: The percentages are approximate.
NAS-free Additive Mixture
72% of the mixture is flue-cured Virginia tobacco grown in the United States ,.
18% of the mixture is flue-cured Virginia tobacco grown in a foreign country, such as Canada, Brazil, France.
§ This foreign measures tobacco grown significantly lower in tar and nicotine of US-grown and is used to control the levels of tar and nicotine. All imported tobacco are certified non-GMO.
10% of the blend is grown in the United States Oriental tobaccos Burley and Turkish.
§ turkish-grown is considered the best type of oriental tobacco.
Thank you for your interest in our products, Keith!
Best regards,
People of Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company

That said, in my opinion American Spirit Original Blend is one of the poorest American Blend I smoked.
Jesk, I'm sure your blend (Virginia Gold - Burley - Latakia) will be much better than the American Spirit.

Greetings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:10 am 

Wow, that's promising! Maybe we only have american Spirit here in Holland, as for american blends.
Haven't heard many here talk about the taste of their own tobacco. Now I am anxious:) But does flue cured taste any different than air cured virginia?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:40 pm 

I agree with Marco.
I do not care for AS cigarettes. Not enough burley in the blend, IMO.

Yes, air cured is different than flue cured. All my baccy has been air cured. I do not have flue cured capability.
How would I know what flue cured tobacco is like??? Most all american made cigarette tobacco is flue cured, to the best of my knowledge.

You will discover your tobacco is best when it has aged 6 months to a year, minimum, after it has cured.
... In an open container, (bag, or cardboard box), with ability to vent and exchange air within.

Blend your homegrown tobacco with some store bought that you do like, increasing the percentage slowly, adjusting for flavor, until you no longer smoke that expensive commercial tobacco.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:00 am 

Thanks for the replies! After more then a month aging in the kiln, it did not really became tobacco, it's smokes light (and not harsh), burns good, but not at all enjoyable.. Maybe cause it's from lower priming. But.. does it suddenly smells like tobacco, after aging?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:14 pm 

The cigar fellows call the lower leaves volado, and it does burn well, with not much flavor.
We call the lowest of them mud lugs, and usually toss the lowest ones.

Harshness will fade with aging, the leaf will become mellow as the volatile elements go away.
It will not gain in flavor unless smoke cured like Latakia, or something like that...

IMO, blends are the best way to get distinct flavor.

Steaming cured leaf over water, with eucalyptus leaves in it does have a distinct effect... just a small bunch mellows the tobacco, a good sized handful will definitely bring a menthol tone! ...which is fun, from time to time!

Glad to see you are having fun with this! :-)
rc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:44 am 

Yeh! really having fun, also reading the forum. Nice you see how you all started, and invented the wheel!
How does your aged burley now taste like? You get a nicotine rush/ smelling like a tobaccoshop.. :)?

I am gonna try later some out of the kiln,virginia is the one harder to cure up yellow, isn't it..? Then I know which one is which..:)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:42 am 

Nah... we didn't invent the wheel. lol

When I first came onboard, there were a bunch of fellows with years of experience and they were very helpful.
...so now they have moved on, I'm doing what I can to pass on what I learned from them, and what I've picked up along the way.
I've got leaf that has been in boxes and bags, out in the garage, for 3 or 4 years, (imagine that... I grew 185 plants my first year!), and it has mellowed very well. Good smoke! This year, only about a dozen plants... Volunteers!
Best
rc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:39 pm 

Wow, that were a lot of plants! For the first time..
I've tasted my tobacco , and some strains are really giving nicotine, I got high.. :lol:
That one didn't got from the kiln. So I don't see use for it at the moment; it can get too hot when I forget to put it back on the 'warm' button...
The taste of that sigaret was not really harsh or anything. Good nicotine; yet not alover a tobacco taste. But I was jumping all over the place when I got a hit:) .... Yeh, I did it!