How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What kind of tobacco is this?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:26 am 

I know that this is tobacco, but I don't know what species it is. This might be weird to say, but I put cigarette's tobacco in my mouth and that unknown tobacco in my mouth as well. The unknown tobacco has a stronger acidic taste. Also, the unknown one smells stronger than the cigarette one. The unknown smells like battery acid and the cigarette tobacco has at least a sweet smelling (not burned).

Post subject: Re: What kind of tobacco is this?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:15 pm 

Golly...

It's gonna take spectrogrammetric analysis in a bona fide laboratory to make the determination you request.

Probably 3 or 4 hundred bucks should do it...

Good luck with that.
rc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:52 pm 

Subject: What kind of tobacco is this?

rustycase wrote:
Golly...

It's gonna take spectrogrammetric analysis in a bona fide laboratory to make the determination you request.

Probably 3 or 4 hundred bucks should do it...

Good luck with that.
rc

How come? What is your opinion about it? Do you think it looks more like nicotiana rustica?

Also, the leaves can break easily in pieces and are fragile when they're dry. It's not like nicotiana tabacum, which can be deformed like thin paper. My nose also slightly burns when I smell the leaves long enough and makes me want to sneeze. Is it the same with other tobacco that you know?

Last edited by LawAbidding on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:57 pm 

Gosh, my opinion would be of no value, as it would be blatant speculation!

There is insufficient information presented for anyone to make a determination.

Unless you were to engage a suitable laboratory accustomed to doing this sort of thing.

Please, get a 2nd opinion on anything I might say!

Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:04 pm 

It would be best if I can get multiple different species of tobacco and compare each. But I'm 100% sure that my leaves are tobacco.
*I accidentally sent a PM. Sorry about that. I'm new at this forum.*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:12 pm 

Even when I mix up which plant is which, and know the plant is one of 5 or 6 I still can't id which it is.

I don't believe that I have grown any that look like that... perhaps we can look and say what it most likely isn't? But there are hundreds, maybe thousands of types of tobacco.

I grew 2 different rustica's it doesn't look like either of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:27 pm 

I think it's cigar tobacco (a theory).
Because the link (http://www.wikihow.com/Roll-a-Cigar) said: "Get some cigar tobacco leaf and put it in a plastic bag. Moisten it lightly with a fine spray and close the bag gently so that you don't crumble the leaf. After an hour, the leaf is supple enough to squeeze into a bundle, so wrap the bag tighter. This will get all of the leaf nice and pliable (after about another hour)."

I used to make my tobacco (shown in the picture) wet in order for it pliable and to avoid making my leaves crumble. So basically, I moisten it. Then, when I leave it in a ziplock bag, it stayed with moisture, but when exposed to air, it dries again pretty easily. What do you guys think about my hypothesis?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:28 pm 

If so, what species of tobacco are cigar tobacco leaves?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:21 pm 

the shorter more rounded leaf and "Acidic taste" makes me think it's some sort of oriental/turkish variety.

cigar tobacco is traditionally Havana if I'm not mistaken, but just about anything could be rolled into a cigar.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:26 pm 

Subject: What kind of tobacco is this?

kingjames488 wrote:
the shorter more rounded leaf and "Acidic taste" makes me think it's some sort of oriental/turkish variety.

cigar tobacco is traditionally Havana if I'm not mistaken, but just about anything could be rolled into a cigar.

I bought the tobacco leaves from a south asian shop. When I was in Ottawa, I showed the tobacco leaves to a Turkish guy in a tobacco shop and he said that back in his country, it's known as "Izmir".

Also, by searching "Izmir tobacco", I found this picture below which look pretty similar to my dried leaves (by shape).

My final question is, what species are oriental/turkish tobacco known? Are Oriental/Turkish tobacco nicotiana rustica, nicotiana tabacum, etc?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:14 pm 

Hmm. Well my N. Rustica, var. "Kessu" leaves look almost Identical to that, except some are much curlier near the top of the plant. I'm just guessing that most 'Turkish/Oriental' tobaccos would be considered a member of the N. tabacum species, however they may have some rustica genes backcrossed in some of them, like 'Delgold'. But species, depends on your definition, I would say that Chihuahuas and Great Danes are different species, because it would be difficult for them to naturally reproduce. The same holds for tobacco, which is often bagged and is generally only allowed to reproduce with itself for seed, unless it is hand pollinated to cross with another cultivar.