How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK viable pipe tobacco strains.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 am 

Hi, I'm new to the home grown scene, this will be my first year. I'm disabled following an industrial injury so I've got into saving money by making as much of what I use from scratch. be it bread, booze or bacon and now on to baccy.

I've already purchased seeds for the wife's RYO. A Virginia gold I'd like to attempt a small number of plants to blend into a fairly strong pipe tobacco. FVF, St James, 1792 or best brown . Preferably from plants already acclimatised to our weather. I probably got more time than most on my hands so can probably give more attention than somebody in employment, so fussy strains maybe an option.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Oh I used to be a pyrotechnician so thats why the nick name. I did contemplate this a couple of years back, but a couple of operations put everything on hold.

Post subject: Re: UK viable pipe tobacco strains.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:47 am 

Your choices are almost limitless. Keep in mind that what someone likes, another will probably dislike. If you like strong pipe tobacco you could grow some Dark Air Tobacco . Add some high nic Rustica and you should be doing OK. You could balance this blend out with some milder Virgina such as Virginia Gold ( which you are already growing)or Virginia Brightleaf. Maybe even add a Turkish... the combos are limitless.

You could also get in to making your own Cavendish and Perique... both are rather simple to make.

Good Luck and Welcome!

Randy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:07 am 

Jitterbug, Thanks for the response. I think a blend of the fewest number of strains is probably a good idea, The more I look into the production of commercial tobaccos the more unlikely it is that I'll be able to reproduce the process at home... so will seek out the two you mention see if I can find UK seeds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:37 am 

+1 JBD !

IMO...

3 or 4 strains, varied amounts by my preference at the moment, is generally best for me.

Pyro, you can do FAR better at home on the kitchen table than ANY commercial venture!
...yet it will take a number of years practice in the garden, curing, aging, and blending...

Gosh will you have fun and learn a lot along the way!
The fellows here are Very helpful! :-)

I would advise... buy a small amount of your favorite commercial tobacco and begin blending your homegrown in with that.
Along the way, you will forego the expense of the commercial product.
:-)
rc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:41 am 

Thanks, I'm a bit limited for space so working on the 2 feet and 3 feet separation everybody seems to be suggesting I'm limited to 40 plants..

So 3 varieties seems like a good starting place 20 Virginian Gold, and 10 of the other two...

Blend with my usual, sounds almost like sacrilege. As for years, well I've plenty of time to fill and hopefully a few more years ahead.. Took me several years to get a decent fruit based sparkling wine off pat, and I've cellared for years so got a bit of self discipline .

I'm actually looking forward to the whole experience, so thanks for the advice I'm off to hunt down some seeds.

Pyro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:54 pm 

Look for Madhousebill 's post in the adds. He sells seeds in the UK and I'm sure he can help you out. You can also get them in the UK from thetobaccoseed.com.