How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for strain suggestions , cigar / cigarette
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:15 pm 

New guy here , I know almost zero about tobacco, looking for suggestions about
which strain to pick for a mild cigarette , virginia gold ? and for a mild to medium
cigar would be ? , I've searched around the internet and here without to much success,
I live in centeral eastern WA. ST. , the temp. can swing from the 60's to 100 plus in the
summer it can get extremley windy at times plus occasinal heavy rain ... other than that
really nice weather , also we have a lot of deer in the area , so maybe a stock wire fence
or would a green house be plan B , we live in the middle of dry land wheat farming so
I'm sure the soil is good. Thanks , John

Post subject: Re: Looking for strain suggestions , cigar / cigarette
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:26 am 

Hello
For mild tobacco, I use Virginia Gold. I like it, not too strong in taste and enough nicotine. That's the only type I have tried so far.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:43 am 

For cigars I'd look at havana and criollos. For cigarettes I'd look to burleys. Virginia varieties have too much tongue bite for me. For flavoring tobaccos I like havana, shirazi, japan 8, and vuelta abanjo.
~Havana is good by itself and can be watered down with a lower nicotine variety.
~shirazi is a turkish variety that is mildly spicy but but easy to smoke as a stand alone choice.
~japan 8 has a slight licorice flavor. Great for aroma.
~vuelta abanjo has a great taste abit spicy and a great aroma too. Great to mix with havana. I also tried adding it to a burley to kick up the flavor some.

A great place to buy seed is http://www.sustainableseedco.com/tobacco-seeds/ but order a large (1500) seed pack. Their germination rates suck. Its a crap shoot. Ive ordered 100 seed packs and had enough germinate to make it work for a really small garden. So thats why id say get a bigger pack in case it doesnt work out for you. Plus they have FREE SHIPPING!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:51 pm 

Burley 21 grows really good here in my arid location.
Bursa, Havana 142, Florida Sumatra, Little Dutch, YTB, and Silver River would round out my grow very well.
rc