How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Absolute beginner looking for cold climate strains
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:10 pm 

Sustainable Seeds Company is an excellent company. We grow for SSC and most of their tobacco seed comes from us. The 10 you got all came from us. But they need to check the regs on shipping tobacco seed internationally. Small non commercial quantities of tobacco seed are not restricted when shipped to the vast majority of countries. We do it all the time. The regs for commercial sized orders vary by country. Some require a phyto-sanitary inspection and inspection certificate, but this usually applies only to 1000 grams or more. For personal sized amounts of tobacco seed, go here. Shipping is a flat rate of $3. http://northwoodseeds.com

As far as frost and cold go, just think of tobacco as if they are tomatoes. Frost will kill both. And frost ruins tobacco leaves. But if you can grow a tomato, you can grow tobacco. Start them about 8 weeks before your last frost date. Don't set them out until all danger of frost has passed. Here is how we start all our tobaccos. http://northwoodseeds.com/tips.htm

Here is a book you might also enjoy. It has a lot of info on different strains.
Illustrated Guide to Flowering Tobacco for Gardens by Richard Pocker https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... pbFcUOEeaw

You can also find a lot of good info by going to the USDA site at http://www.ars-grin.gov/ Type the variety name in the search box. Click the observations tab for each strain. They have over 2800 strains of tobacco in the USDA seed bank collection. Even though it appears you can order seed from them, you can't. They are not in the seed selling business. They do not ship seed to individuals. They only ship seed to people doing research.

Cheers,
Sky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:09 pm 

Thanks! Impressive selection. I need to order straight from there next time. Its starting to get a little late for making new order.
I just recieved the order from SSC with my new content description as a "survival kit" and lower value :D Seems like someone did me a favor.

I can send some of these in Finland for free if someone else is interested to produce some seeds from them. Just send me a private message.

Finnish customs instruct that its legal to sell and buy the seeds commecially, but only if someone is already growing the strain in EU. Confusing.

We have some tricks in our sleeves to make the plants grow faster too. The plants can be damaged deliberately from the roots,
by pulling the plant gently and patting it back. And repeated again in couple days. Or the roots can be broken by shovel, or putting some screws to stem.
When the water flow is disturbed, it starts to prepare for dying and matures faster. Also the less it gets water and nutrition, the sooner it will mature too.

People also say that tobacco can handle frost better than potatos. And we often have long warm periods after the first frosts too. So patience is needed.
Some have even used covering and heat from some other available source. It also helps if its watered before frost. Cause it can handle the wet frost better than dry.
Frost damaged leafs can also be used, if its collected immediately after the damage.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:48 pm 

Hi Gangsta!

I guess you already know, but anyhow I say that 12th of June is considered as the last theoretical frost day in Finland. Low lands are the most dangerous areas.

Individuals are allowed to buy any seeds here and as I know there's only one commercial tobacco farmer in Finland, living somewhere near Vaasa. That's quite north from my location and low lands too. So, if he manages to grow, then why many others wouldn't. Of course Lapland is a different story.

And yes, the current tobacco law sucks, but I don't care. 8)