How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To harvest or not to harvest? Norwegian tobacco 400 MAMSL
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:13 am 

Hello all! Hows my crop doing?
I live in Norway 400 meters above sea level and days are numbered before frost kicks in :shock: . I've harvested the bottom leaves today and i've even picked the brown ones (are they useable?) Being new to growing tobacco I don't know what to do next.
I will try to attach some pictures and would appreciate any feedback.

hmmm, as I'm writing this I realize that I have no clue as of how to attach these pictures... I will post them as soon as I have figured it out...

Post subject: Re: To harvest or not to harvest? Norwegian tobacco 400 MAMSL
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:39 am 

Here goes:

http://howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/cpg14 ... ?album=419

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:27 pm 

You have a nice looking crop hans!
Harvest all the leaf that is mostly yellow if you are concerned about a frost. It will ruin them.
String them up, indoors, with decent air circulation and they should cure out well.
Yes, the browned leaves are usable. Blend them in with other baccy.

If you become afraid of freezing wx, and must rush, chop everything down with a machete and pile it up, then throw a blanket over the pile until you can get back to it... a few days or so...

Then you can hang the stalks indoors to stalk cure.

Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:58 am 

Thanks Rustycase!

I did what you said and picked the yellow leaves, hoping that the weather would hold a few more days. Yesterday, at midnight, the moon was almost full. The weather forecast told me that the temperature would not hit lower than 5C, so I was calm about not losing my crop. I happen to look over at my outdoor thermostat; it read 1C (!!!). I went outside and could feel the frost creeping in, so I grabbed a knife from the kitchen and started hacking away at the stem. As I was "harvesting", I could see the frost forming on the leaves. I shuttled back and forth from my house to salvage as much as possible. I don't think the frost got a good hold on the leaves, but I don't really know how fragile they are? Now I have 60+ plants piled up in the hall, planning to string them up tonight or tomorrow.

If they are ruined, would I know that by now? I can't see that they are any different yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:19 am 

rustycase wrote:
If you become afraid of freezing wx, and must rush, chop everything down with a machete and pile it up, then throw a blanket over the pile until you can get back to it... a few days or so...

I did some moonlight harvesting myself last night. Went crazy with the machete and have a pile of Harrow Velvet in the field with a tarp over it that will take 2 truckloads to haul out. Hit 27.4f here last night. It would have all been compost if I didn't cut and tarp it last night. The Harrow Velvet will go right to the barn to cure on the stalk.

My bright leafs (mostly Gold Leaf and Costello this year) are already strung and curing out in the greenhouse. The first few strings have colored up nicely and have been moved to a shed to finish drying and age. The bright leaf stalk curing experiment is going very good too. They seem to be curing as well as primed and strung leafs do. It's less work than priming, but takes a lot more space to hang whole plants.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:25 pm 

:-)

Isn't it great when you get a harvest moon when you make the call and decide you better work late to get the crop in ?
We didn't get the spectacular effects of the eclipse, but the lite Was Out early in the evening, here.
It was strange, with the supermoon the night before, then Nothing the next evening.
Too bad we had cloud cover...
Glad to hear you got it all protected!
rc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:12 pm 

Looking at your pictures I'm glad you harvested them before the frost. Yes it was a strange night with a supermoon and a lunar eclipse.