How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkish, When to harvest bursa?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:58 am 

I have done a bit of reading on harvesting bursa and still have not go the picture in my head, i hear on average it is ready 2-4 weeks after topping, i do not know if the leaf will yellow when it is ripe but i have heard that the leaves will curl downwards and the leaf will look like alligator skin

If anyone could please post a picture of ripe turkish tobacco or better yet a picture of your ripe bursa that would really help me out, also any characteristics you have found when the leaf is ripe and ready for priming would be great!

Thank you! :)

Post subject: Re: Turkish, When to harvest bursa?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:13 am 

off, here's some leaf I had harvested from the tall bursa plants way in the background.
It is yellow tipped, and had yellow splotches throughout much of the leaf before I harvested it.

In the pic, I'm piling it for 3 or 4 days until there is more yellow, then I hang it up to cure and brown out .
I like bursa!
rc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 am 

Thanks RC

the very tips on the bottom leafs of my bursa are starting to yellow but nothing like your leaf in the pile, ima patiently waiting till harvest i am very curious to try the leaf.
Do you shade the piles when outside? i am willing to attempt this but pile curing is new ground for me.

The bursa draws my eye its a beautiful plant lets just hope it can for fill my tastes
thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:22 pm 

Bursa is a beautiful plant and makes a delicious sweet tobacco. It's the heaviest producing oriental type I have grown. You can give it some fertilizer and plenty of growing space to produce large leaves without diluting down the flavor as is common with many other orientals. The leaves ripen more subtly than many other types. They will become a lighter green when ripe with yellowing of the tips or edges. Here is a pict of mine when I picked them I didn't have any trouble color curing them. http://nwtseeds.com/Bursa_6.jpg

Piling them to color cure does work, but be very careful and vigilant about it or you will turn your leaf into moldy compost pile in no time. As I recall, RC conducted some in depth studies on mold making a few years back. :D

Open up the pile every day and let it breath for an hour, then re-stack the outer leaves to the inside of the pile and wrap it back up. Keep it in a relatively warm place and in 4-5 days they should start turning yellow. When they are yellow, or mostly yellow, take them out and hang them to finish curing and drying.