How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Golden Burley and Virginia Brightleaf - Are They Ripe?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:59 pm 

Of all the stages in the growing process, this has to be the most nerve wracking. First the Burley. I have already harvested the lower 4-5 leaves over the last couple weeks, and they have color cured nicely. However, the more research I do, I'm wondering if they were actually prime to be picked. They are taking on the telltale signs of mottled yellow and white, but are for the most part perfectly smooth. Every picture I can find of mature Burley, shows a yellow/white leaf the is very bumpy and almost wrinkled. It is essentially the opposite with the Virginia Brightleaf. They are very bumpy and "alligator skin" looking, yet they are only showing moderate mottled yellow spots, less than 20% yellowing. All picture I can find show a leaf almost completely golden in color. Should I wait? I would really hate to have put so many hours of work in only to render my tobacco inferior because of picking it too early.

Also, the "stems will snap like celery" bit isn't very helpful. I know from experience that many stems can snap off liker this long before ripe. I can also not base harvest off of flowering timeframe. I foolishly didn't keep a grow log and planted several sets at different times.

Post subject: Re: Golden Burley and Virginia Brightleaf - Are They Ripe?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:14 pm 

It won't hurt to leave 'em on the plant and watch 'em for a bit longer.

Since we are all hobby growers, it's not like we must get the crop in, and cured to market-able condition to meet a deadline and pay the mortgage.

Have fun watching the plants grow!
rc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 pm 

rustycase wrote:
It won't hurt to leave 'em on the plant and watch 'em for a bit longer.

Since we are all hobby growers, it's not like we must get the crop in, and cured to market-able condition to meet a deadline and pay the mortgage.

Have fun watching the plants grow!
rc

I can always count on you to chime in Rusty. It's too bad that not many more people do the same. At least for now, I think I'll heed that advice and hold off for a bit. Seeing as the first priming of Burley was harvested at this stage, I will see what the difference is in waiting a bit longer. By the way, I should have those seeds in a couple more weeks. It would be any day now, but I questioned the integrity of my ladies stocking bud bags, and trashed them. I set up some new better quality bags this week.

It really sucks that I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures here. That would make these issues much easier to figure out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:32 am 

Pictures are just a tad awkward here.

I re-size mine to 900x800 using a freebie utility called fotosizer. then I load them to the goldmine photo gallery in the upper right corner of every screen here on the forum.
Once posted in an album, there, you may click on the thumbnail, then again to expand the pic.
When expanded, you may right click on it to Save URL.

That may be copied into a post using the IMG button in the task bar visible when writing a post.
Place your cursor in between the ][ two center brackets, and using the right click again, place the url in there.

Or you may use a photobucket type service for all your photos and bring the url over here to the forum.

I always resize for quick view and to avoid screen issues...

Hope that helps
rc

pretty much, what we can not do is post direct from our pc into a forum post, which is undoubtedly a security option Roy has chosen, with good reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:29 am 

Yeah I use Photobucket which is why all my photos are HUGE. Some people get upset with that but there's a way to edit em down to smaller size.

As for your leaves go I have no info on that lol total noob here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:38 pm 

hanzy4200, My first attempt at harvesting V.G. was done in a hasty fashion and was a beoutch to color cure. That and not enough humidity set a good many leaves green. As rusty suggested harvest as late as you can and leave enough late summer heat and humidity as to get the job done

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:28 am 

If you are getting about 20% yellowing go ahead and harvest. Stalk curing is best for Burley. It takes up much less space too. The reason you see so many pics of very yellowed leaves is because farmers sell their tobacco by weight. About 5 weeks after flowering the leaves are very yellow and krinkled. As home growers we have the advantage of growing quality tobacco based on taste and not on weight.

As far as snapping a leaf like celery. This is where the "art" of tobacco growing comes in. Try snapping a lower leaf and then snap a leaf at the very top. There is be a considerable difference in the "snap". When the leaf is ready it will really snap and I just don't mean a whimpy little snap. It is very noticeable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:59 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:00 pm 

There we go! That is the Virginia Bright Leaf. I've tried that exact same process several times and it never worked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:01 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

The Golden Burley