How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When to Harvest Turkish Varieties?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:53 pm 

I have scoured the web, and this site, looking for definitive information as to when to begin harvesting Turkish strains. I am growing Black Sea Samsun. My plants have been in the ground for approx. 7 weeks, and began flowering very early on. They are 4-5 feet tall and are all very sticky with resin and virtually all of the leaves are dark green. There is almost no yellowing at all aside from a few tiny dirt leaves. Does Turkish tobacco yellow when ripe or is it to be harvested green?

Post subject: Re: When to Harvest Turkish Varieties?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:14 am 

It seems a lot of people are having things bloom early this year, including me. Which is weird, because we are all in different climates and early blooming is usually related to cool cloudy weather. It's been anything but that here lately.

BSS doesn't turn yellow like the some other types do. Look for the alligator effect, or a slight yellowing at the edges and for the edges to curl downward a little. Orientals are pretty much like any other tobaccum. As a general rule, the leaves are ripe 2-4 weeks after blooming starts.

hanzy...if you add your general location to your user profile, it will show up in your posts. That will help others give your better answers more specific to your locations.

Best of luck to you.
Sky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:36 pm 

Skychaser wrote:
It seems a lot of people are having things bloom early this year, including me. Which is weird, because we are all in different climates and early blooming is usually related to cool cloudy weather. It's been anything but that here lately.

BSS doesn't turn yellow like the some other types do. Look for the alligator effect, or a slight yellowing at the edges and for the edges to curl downward a little. Orientals are pretty much like any other tobaccum. As a general rule, the leaves are ripe 2-4 weeks after blooming starts.

hanzy...if you add your general location to your user profile, it will show up in your posts. That will help others give your better answers more specific to your locations.

Best of luck to you.
Sky

I appreciate your input. I'm in southern Pa, and I thought for sure I had added that into my profile. I'll have to get on that. Its been extra tricky for me with my BSS, because I really can't go entirely by the 2-4 weeks after flowering margin. My plants were actually flowering when I planted them. Yes, that's what I said. They were started way to early and by last frost they were, well, picture a 2 foot plant growing out of a Dixie cup. I immediately topped them, and they began growing vigorously. They are almost full size, but have basically been continuing to flower, and being topped, ever since, which has led to some unusual growth. At least 6 are not 4 headed plants. I'm not really seeing any yellowing, so I guess I'll just wait it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:21 pm 

Skychaser will these varieties eventually brown out? Color curing that is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:19 am 

If you are air curing them... yes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:34 pm 

I've chose to do a combo air/sun cure. I simply cannot monitor a traditional sun curing process constantly, so the likelihood of a sudden downpour destroying the entire project is near 100%. Instead, I'm stringing the leaves up in a tight row as would usually be done, and hanging them a foot or two under the eaves of my curing shed. They will only get 4-5 hours of full sun, but they will have decent protection from rain. So far it's going well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:45 am 

Have the same thing with my BSS, but some of the old texts I'm reading say the leaf is ripe when you see a lot of starch round spots (yellow round spots). That indeed appears around 4 weeks after I top them, so I'm harvesting them when they're all spotty but still lush green. Have not cured any such harvested though, so hopefully will let you know how they taste before Xmas :mrgreen:

Today I tried a salvage batch I fermented from leaves who sun-cured on the plant itself (garden was abandoned this summer). I was gonna throw the plants away but the color of the leaves was so nice and spotless that I decided to experiment. I cannot say I feel any nicotine and the pipe is hard to keep alight, but they still do smell and taste very nice! (fermented for 2 weeks only at 45ÂșC with 80% humidity)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:20 am 

I seem to recall watching a short documentery that said oriental varieties are harvested as they ripen, simular to virginia.

also; my BSS yellowed, at least somewhat.