How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time for me as well
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:04 pm 

Hi Folks,
Have a few N. Rustica Plants outside. Some of the bottom leaves began to yellow so I picked em about two weeks ago and hung them up to dry in a dark place with a fan on. They are still green/yellow like when I picked them. Does this mean they were picked too soon or have I not kept them humid enough?

My main question is, once I pick the leaves, how long until color change to brown? Im still a noob and this was my trial year, so no worries if you gotta break some bad news to me :?

Looking at other pictures and the plant, I think I will wait longer to pick the other leaves. They arent even showing signs of yellowing. (maybe it was the hot/dry weather of that week).

thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: First time for me as well
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 am 

J, if they have fully dried, chances are they will stay that color.

'Curing' is best described as promoting the slow death of the leaf.
Fast would be 'flash cure', and not desireable.

Perhaps it is use-able, though... try it!
If too harsh, or green tasting, set it aside to age for a while and see what happens with it after a few months.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:50 am 

okay thanks. So what did I do wrong? Dry to quickly or pick too soon. If leaves are picked before ripe/yellow can they still cure properly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:19 am 

I would guess that you picked them a bit too soon.

I find that leaving them on the plant to turn, or picking them and hanging them outside, near the plants works best for me... but your mileage may vary.

You can try misting the leaves with some water, and letting them go in and out of case (pliable) a few times and see if they will go ahead and turn, but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:14 pm 

Jesse wrote:
Hi Folks,
Have a few N. Rustica Plants outside. Some of the bottom leaves began to yellow so I picked em about two weeks ago and hung them up to dry in a dark place with a fan on. They are still green/yellow like when I picked them. Does this mean they were picked too soon or have I not kept them humid enough?

My main question is, once I pick the leaves, how long until color change to brown? Im still a noob and this was my trial year, so no worries if you gotta break some bad news to me :?

Looking at other pictures and the plant, I think I will wait longer to pick the other leaves. They arent even showing signs of yellowing. (maybe it was the hot/dry weather of that week).

thanks in advance

Hi
I have a real problem when I see some one say "I hung them to dry". Usually they do and it is not what they wanted . always think and hang them to "CURE". Study the posts on curing and get a really good idea as to what that means and how it is done .
I hang clothes to dry. Tobacco to cure. drying is fast. curing is slow death with color change. curing is easy for some and really hard for others. depends a lot on weather and how ripe the leaf was when picked . try to find every thing that you can on when it is ripe. As with all things on here takes a lot of reading . If you can get the growing part done . the rest can be controlled by indoors temps and humidity. Growing you don't have a lot of control some but not a lot. Good luck and you'll get it and then say Oh thats what I wanted . Lee