How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pickin' and a grinnin' :)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:02 am 

It's been a great season for us here. One of our best ever. The tobacco harvest is now under way. We have about 2000 leaves strung so far. Did 15 strings yesterday and moved 20 strings from the curing shed to the barn to hang and age. Hope to have 10k hung by next week.

We grew a small plot of some short season cantaloupes as an experiment to see how they would do here. Our growing season is so short we have never been able to grow them. They always get frosted before they can matue. Well not anymore. We have cantaloupes coming out our ears!

Here's a few picts if ya wanna have a peek.

http://skychasers.net/yesterday.htm

Cheers,
Sky

Post subject: Re: pickin' and a grinnin' :)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:34 am 

Great Pics Sky.
Wow, those baccy and corn plants looked good, it shows a lot of sweat. Are you growing the Hopi blue for corn meal?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:52 am 

Hi Sky
Looks like you have a good crop there love the guest bedroom. Just out of interest how big do those Minnesota Midget Melons get ? I will be a having a go at melons and sweet potato next year. I like the idea of giving them to the local food bank, that is a well worthy cause.

Markw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 am 

Sky,
It looks like your "guest bathroom" provides an ample supply of dry leaves.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:17 am 

Those are some nice large leaves!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:10 am 

deluxestogie wrote:
Sky,
It looks like your "guest bathroom" provides an ample supply of dry leaves.

Bob

Yup. It sure does. And it comes with plenty of rolling paper too. :)

Hopi Blue corn is usually used for corn meal and making blue corn chips. It has a much higher nutritional value and has 20% more protein than yellow corns. It also has a very long growing season for corn at 100 - 110 days. The plants are all between 10 - 12 feet in height and I used less than half the amount of fertilizer that is normally applied to corn. In spite of their enormous size, they only produce 1-2 ears per plant. The ears are about 9 inches long and a deep blue / black color.

We are growing them for seed for a California seed company. http://sustainableseedco.com The verdict is still out as to whether we will grow it again. Depends on how many pounds of seed we get. There is a lot of plant there for only 1 or 2 ears. I'm not seeing any record setting yields. We will harvest in October after it has dried. We are thinking of bundling up the stalks and seeing if we can sell them as Halloween decorations. Might make more money off that than the seed. lol Who knows.

The melons are slightly smaller than the ones you usually see in the stores. But I wouldn't call them midgets myself. They are about the size of a softball. We are growing them for seed too for sustainable seed co. So we have to cut them all in half and gut them before we give them away. We will definitely be growing these again every year for ourselves.

I grew some of my favorite Burleys again this year, TN 90 and KY 15, along with several new ones. None have disappointed me. The NBH 98 might just become my new favorite. We will see how it smokes. It produces lots of very large leaves and cures beautiful. KT 204 is a great plant too. Gonna be hard to bump TN 90 off the top of my list though. Next year I'm going to try TN 97, or better yet the new TN 97LC if I can find some seed in less than 100 gram lots. That's a bit more than I need. lol I want some KT 204LC seed too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:38 pm 

Wow thats a lot of plants!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:17 pm 

Nice spread you got up there in the Great Pacific Northwest, Sky!

When I went up there to look at land, years back, with a bundle of cash in my pocket, I stayed over on the coast, where relations abide... couldn't do it.. It's just too wet over there!

Quite a bit different WX system over Spokane way, but I was unable to travel over there.
lol
We barely got home to have our third son delivered!

Best
rc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:37 am 

Sky thanks for the info on the Minnesota Midget Melons I think I will try these next year. I had a look at the California seed company website. It is interesting to see they have a good range of tobacco seeds as well. I will contact them and see if they can ship overseas.

Thanks
Markw