How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tobacco leaves toxic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 am 

Ok so my girlfriend and I are looking into having a greenhouse with tobacco. We've contacted all the government offices we could think of to see what the legalities were. Today the Health Department called back and said they didn't have a problem with us selling the plants in our greenhouse but we may want to get a lawyer because the tobacco plants while harvesting are very toxic. We've been harvesting tobacco since Sept. 1st and we haven't had any side effects from touching the plants.
Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: tobacco leaves toxic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:50 am 
Will while trying to cure this tobacco.I have smoke some of it green i wouldnt worry about any dangers because the stuff just taste crappy.so no one I know of will keep smokeing it.i thought about some one getting sick form smoking green baccy but no one has turn up in the hospital yet.

GREEN TOBACCO TASTE LIKE CHIT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:14 pm 

Seems they'd have the common courtesy to explain, eh? It's like they want you to have trouble sleeping at night. Of course there's always the possibility of some A-hole suing you because they touched a dreaded evil tobacco plant.

I assume they're referring to the "toxic" nicotine that's absorbed through your skin as you're handling the plants and leaf. You'll know what I mean if you play with it enough... even pulling suckers might give you a nice little buzz - collecting seed pods is fun too!

It's still legal to grow and sell plants, jus' not the finished/smokable product... then you will need a lawyer to figure out how much the government will screw you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:50 pm 

The toxic effect they are referring to has been reported by workers/companies using manual labor to harvest tobacco 12-14 hours a day, day in and day out. I've pulled suckers, harvested leaves, handled every leaf twice (once to harvest and once to rinse) and the best I can say is I got a little buzz. I think the non-smokers at the gov. office are yanking your chain. Do you actually believe what the gov. tells you? lol! I don't!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:57 pm 

I've worked in tobacco 8 hours a day for weeks on end . When I got dont topping , suckering and spraying it was time to start cutting and hanging with no ill effects .

Stripping is the time where the long days start and I've worked around the clock practicaly for days at a time getting the crop ready to market before Xmas . Never have I been made sick with nicotine poison without twisting some up and lighting a match under it .

With that said I have heard about workers getting sick in the fields either topping or suckering . We always thought they just wanted to go home as they never went to the hospital that I knew of . Most seem to feel just fine once they out of the field .

But even a field of tobacco has an aromea so it could be the smell in the hot summer heats making them sick . Really dont know but never heard of anyone getting to sick without smoking the stuff .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:21 pm 

well Lonnie, I do remember getting sick of all the work it took to grow 150 plants in my little backyard - it's been a real blast, lol.
My honey-bunny doesn't approve of me smoking, but she sure loved all the exercise I got from gardening... so there's always a nice compromise somewhere in the tobacco picture.
i also remember holding a bunch of suckers in my sweating palms and my heart racing - -- who needs to smoke when there's suckers to grasp?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:57 pm 

I get very nauseous and feel like vomiting, also get headaches. while handling green leaves in a relatively short time frame. (I wear full protective gear now). Just because some don't get sick handling leaves doesn't mean others won't.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:20 pm 

I harvested about 60 leaves, yesterday. I had to wash dirt off of them and hang them up. I had to keep stopping, I kept getting really half sick. I would stop and wash my hands go sit down. Light a cigarette and that made it worse. I finally realized that I was in fact reacting to the leaves. I found that I could do about 10, then I had to just walk away, and no smoking for about 10 minutes and then I could mess with them again.
I may not need to smoke at all. Just get a job as a leaf washer!
I am a fairly heavy smoker, and with a life-long habit... but I react!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:38 pm 

Thanks for mentioning the smoking Ozark lady, I too wouldn't feel better after a smoke, this makes sense, just getting more nicotine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:24 pm 

Well, each person probably has a different level of tolerance. The only time I've felt like I got nic poisoning I was trying to quit smoking, so I had on a patch, then I had a chew, then I had a smoke. Got kinda nauseous so I spit out the chew. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:43 pm 

wydeboi wrote:
The toxic effect they are referring to has been reported by workers/companies using manual labor to harvest tobacco 12-14 hours a day, day in and day out. I've pulled suckers, harvested leaves, handled every leaf twice (once to harvest and once to rinse) and the best I can say is I got a little buzz. I think the non-smokers at the gov. office are yanking your chain. Do you actually believe what the gov. tells you? lol! I don't!

I do not trust what the health department tells me. The lady just brought up a good point as to liabilities. That part I never really thought of. It would be very difficult for me to trust a govt. worker that admitted to never seeing a tobacco plant before and she works in the tobacco department!! Most of these people are very interested in our inquiry becasue in Vermont not one person has ever tried to sell tobacco plants. I find it funny when you can stump the head of the tobacco department for agriculture,health, and taxes.

Anyway thanks for everyones responses I do feel more confident now. I think having everyone signing a waiver would be a great idea, if we indeed sold the plants and people got sick from not properly curing tobacco would that make me liable too?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:37 am 

Hi --

I admit I'm puzzled even after reading and re-reading aliciadowns' original post and everyone's replies.

She is selling tobacco plants out of her greenhouse. Surely she means transplants less than 6 inches tall. Everyone here knows that there are no sufficient quantities of toxins of any kind in those tiny plants that could cause any kind of reaction other than in someone with a serious allergy to tobacco. You could dry out 500 of those tobacco transplants and smoke them all and the only buzz you'd get would be from the lack of O2!

All I would do is what I always do in my greenhouse.

I could post a sign that there are many kinds of plants here and some are known to cause allergic reactions in certain individuals and if you have any allergies to plants or plant materials or fertilizers, then you should not enter the greenhouse.

Frankly, I usually deny people entry to the greenhouse and set up a sale bench outside under shade cloth. I claim that visitors can track in fungus spores, insect eggs &etc. and since I use no pesticides or fungicides, we don't take a chance with it. Of course, then they think I'm growing pot in there but heck, that's what everyone thinks anyhow!

That covers everything, plus a big sign saying NO ENTRY TO PUBLIC.

Ok, one more thing, if you hire help you are under the OSHA etc. laws. Best if you don't. Do all the work yourself or if you must hire help, do it on a cash basis only. If you use pesticides or fungicides, you are then usually required to either get a state license or hire someone with a license to apply them.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:55 pm 

Goodness. I have never felt sick handeling harvested leaves. I'll harvest untill my hands are black and then carry the leaves pounds of leaves my by bare shoulders. Worst I'll get is a good buzz, but nothing unpleasent. Now I will say smelling dry leaves will sometimes give me one hell of a sneezing fit. Funny how were are all different.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:24 pm 

I've heard that tobacco sap is caustic(nicotinic acid) but as far as intoxication from handling the leaves,maybe it's like handling peppers,sometimes they burn ya and some times they don't.
Besides aren't the edges of the leaf supposed to be sharp?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:04 pm 

I say hogwash, I have handled the plants, leaves,stocks till my hands were so sticky I could hardly stand it then just wash them in dirt to take away the sticky and continue on, the wife did the same and she is sensitive to all kinds of things