How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How are y'all washing your leaves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:16 pm 

Shihan wrote:
baccerman wrote:
I devised a plan to take the larger leaves and putting them in my washing machine....but on Gentle Cycle only.
I was worried that doing this might tear the leaves apart even under a Gentle Cycle. This worked better than I had expected however.
I even added some detergent and a bit of Fabric softener with a mint smell. I spun them but had to carefully pick the leaves off of the washer tub when the cycle finished to place them in my dryer....again on Gentle and Fluff.

I was waiting for the part about ironing the leaves so it is easier to roll a cigar :lol:

Shihan..never ever thought of ironing the leaves until you mentioned doing just that! do I put the Iron on steam? I have found cotton but mine doesn't seem to have the tobacco setting. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:51 pm 

baccerman wrote:
Shihan..never ever thought of ironing the leaves until you mentioned doing just that! do I put the Iron on steam? I have found cotton but mine doesn't seem to have the tobacco setting. :lol:

I can't tell you because I send mine to the cleaners. They starch and fold!

I don't remember if you are north of me or northwest of Houston but have all of your plants matured yet? I have six left that are in varied stages of flowering but don't look anywhere ready to harvest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:19 pm 

Shihan wrote:
baccerman wrote:

I can't tell you because I send mine to the cleaners. They starch and fold!

I don't remember if you are north of me or northwest of Houston but have all of your plants matured yet? I have six left that are in varied stages of flowering but don't look anywhere ready to harvest.

LOL! Shihan! That was a great response. Still laughing here! No, I am in NC. I often get mistaken for Tobaccaman....and I am TobaccErman. A lot of confusion with who is posting as a result of that.
Starch and Fold! I Love it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:54 pm 

I finally got sick of waiting for my plants to ripen. The rest of my garden is dead and gone, and these seven foot backy plants are just happy as clams out there in the cold, still flowering, still growing. It's NUTS! so... I sprayed down all the aphids with soapy water and let them dry a day. Next day I hosed them off with a fine mist with pressure, best I could. Had to put the hose away for the winter freeze, so this needed to get done.

Next day, I started picking the leaves, and brushing both sides off with a soft throw away paint brush like I read on here some place. That works SWELL! I made hands with smaller leaves on the outside, about 12 in all on each hand, and tied them with plastic tie wraps. Nice part about these is as the leaves dry, you can tighten each one with ease. I carried two sticks of hands to the south side of the house and knew we would have 5 days of sun, so left them out day and night. Finally, rain in the forecast, so carried them back around to the garage, and hung them on two lines of twine stretched across the width of the 2 car garage. I guess I have about 40 hands in different stages of drying. Garage smells like a hay loft. Nice.

Around Christmas I'll figure out what I want to spray them with and let them cure til next summer or fall. It was fun this far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:44 pm 

OldOwl wrote:
I finally got sick of waiting for my plants to ripen. The rest of my garden is dead and gone, and these seven foot backy plants are just happy as clams out there in the cold, still flowering, still growing...

I still have a few Virginia plants flowering and three that have not started. I still have the better part of a month before our first frost (I hope) but I have started picking leaves. They color cure fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:37 pm 

I don't wash mine. Soaking leaves in water before curing them is just begging for a mold outbreak, unless you are hanging individual leaves. I use a soft bristled paintbrush to "sweep" the leaves free of dirt and bugs. It takes about 3-4 seconds per leaf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:49 pm 

Hey guys, it has been a long time since visiting this site. Amazed that no one has tried the washing machine method I had mentioned in the past. :D
Seriously, I finally learned to just wash the leaves off as best I could with a spray using my hose out side and I did use a brush to use to wipe off some of the bugs and junk but had to be careful not to use too hard a spray as that can tear the leaves. If you are going to hang your leaves then you need not worry too much about any additional dirt because while curing and with air flow, the dirt will drop off the leaf.
Anyway guys, it is good to see that this forum is still alive.
Good Growing-Good Harvesting and good smokes!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:52 pm 

WOW!

Taterious started this thread 5 years ago!

I am now washing my harvested leaf, usually after it sets in a pile for two or three days.
Got a black plastic tub from the Ace Hardware store which I once used for tile grout and drywall texture mud. It's abt 30" x 36" x 8 " deep.

I flop 2 - 4 leaves onto the water, shake 'em longways a few times, then let 'em set for a few minutes... then I flop 'em over, brushing at the leaf with the backside of my fingers and most the crud goes away. A quick swish and I spread 'em out on the wire market shelves to dry off.

Small bits of grass & debris don't taste real good in a ciggie, dirt ain't good either. I'm sure insects and their dropping can't be good!

...and there's not much worse than a tiny little under-feather in a ciggie! Yuk!

I re-stack my pile with newspaper in between layers until I take it down again a day or so later.

There's pics over in my grow log.
rc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:37 am 

Washing leaves? You're all bonkers and must suffer from OCD!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:02 am 

oldhag wrote:
Washing leaves? You're all bonkers and must suffer from OCD!

I agree! I don't know why but many people make growing tobacco a lot harder than it is. Washing leaves? If there are any bugs on your leaves there won't be when you to smoke them. After curing, kilning or aging, then shredding, any little critters that may have been on there are long gone. The last stage.. shredding, will leave any critters in a pile of dust.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:46 pm 

I dip my leaves in a shallow pan of water, and brush over them with my hand, flip, do it again. then off to hang.
.... well, thats what I do until someone decides to play in the pan. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:35 pm 

Cute lil' feller, Pro!
:-)

jbd... I didn't used to, but learned it's better if I do...

I use a thumb roller, taking my blended baccy from a small tray... after a while there is powder in the tray... and a lot of that dust is obviously dirt.

Spider webs don't burn so nice, either!

How do yah type a sound like a cat makes coughing up a hairball? Kak!
rc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:59 am 

To each their own . I like to Shake the leaf vigorously , Not stirred shaken. :P Again no water for me. A little water with scotch is good but with tobacco no way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:17 pm 

I am opposed to diluting good Scotch.
rc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:14 pm 

I washed them to get the humidity up in the shed faster.
A quick rinse never hurts, as long as there isn't a lot of them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next