How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How are y'all washing your leaves
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 pm 

Mark

LOL

yea but I"m meaner than you are LOL I try to spear those bugs and toss the big green worms in the air and hack them in two before they hit the ground . Then I wash my leaf trying to drown the ones I missed :wink: Otherwise I wouldn't fool with it either but I despise those bugs and worms .

I'll have to take pics the next time I'm shreading smoke and cut through some type of bug / worm . needless to say it makes a mess and is then time to toss that particular tobacco and O don't like that either .

Moral of the statment is this . I'M now thinking my reading glasses should be used for more than reading LOL . Now thinking I need them when drowning the bugs on my leafs LOL Just to help make sure I drown them and they fall off .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 pm 

Bird poop too? :shock: :lol: Watch out for avian flu! :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:11 pm 

Taterious

Perhaps I'm just getting lazy with age but just laying them out on the bales makes it fast and easy . I like fast and easy so it's worth the trade off of 5% greenish leafs if thats whats causing that problem .

Starting to dig into the 20 plants I just cut and hung and am having about the same % drying greenish . Ol timers always warned about cutting tobacco to green for this very reason ( drying green ) I'm now thinking I did just that and my drying on the hay has nothing to do with it . I just noticed a few blow over plants drying a nice color and figured I'd cut some early for smoking .

Not thinking how having just one or 4 plants in the crib would let so much more air to help aid drying . When I cut the 20 I soon realised it though .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:55 pm 

wydeboi wrote:
Bird poop too? :shock: :lol: Watch out for avian flu! :shock: :lol:

Hey, at least it's less threat than the H1N1 right now. :wink: Don't want any pigs amoung my plants.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:56 pm 

Lonnie,
I tryed hanging a couple of plants on a rope strung across our carport.
they have yet to turn color for me but its been so humid I noticed a bit of sucker growth on them :lol: for real!

Had some hornworm seeds sprout out on them also and didn't catch that right away.
They had a field day in those plants. :(

I did get the satisfaction of feeding then to the brims in our little yard pond though. :wink:
Been getting alot of those worms lately told the wife the fish are going to get a nicotine habit soon.

Guess we could use butts for bait if that happens :wink:

Yea laying the leafs out would be fast and easy. Fast and easy is good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:08 pm 

Cameron,
Now ya got me wondering how a hog with a nicotine habit woud be. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 am 
taxedenough wrote:
I don't wash them.Phids and their poop go in the cooker :)

Mark in Wi

So that's how you get that Hickory Honeydew Flavor? :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:22 am 

tied my hose sprayer to a post, take a leaf and run it up and down front and back once or twice. String on a wire and keep a fan on them, coloring very nicely, when everything but the mid rib is dry, move them to a new hang spot between scafold legs( they dont need as much space now), plan on throwing some visqueer over the top and adding a bit of heat to dry the midrib more, then to the kiln i expect.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:10 pm 

Well I ended up washing leaves in a 90 qt tote box the store was sold out of kiddie pools. Also ended up using dish soap.
I bought some organic soap at a nursery but when I got home and read the small print (glasses) I saw it was for killing aphids etc. :roll:
Figured the dish soap would not kill me at least.

This worked great I was able to dunk a dozen or so leaves at a time let them soak 10 minutes or so and rinse them off with the wand set on shower.
It killed the aphids graveyard dead and they were a breeze to wash off. It finished off a few baby hornworms as well. :twisted:

This really sped up production y'all THANKS :!:

Locked myself out of the house again yestersday :oops:
This was in the morning and there was no way I was going to wait for the wife to get home this time.
Luckly we have converted a bedroom into a drying chamber so I was able to climb in the window. :)

Yea it was a real show for sure a overweight guy with arthritus standing on top of the handle of a step stool getting thru a window 6 ft up with a hair trigger window slide. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 am 

mryodahippie wrote:
...I took some washed leaves and soaked em in suger water overnight, then washed them again ( so they dont attract bugs) and hung them up seperately. Somewhere i got the idea of putting them in suger water right away so the plany absors it.

I hung them seperate and will see if they taste differnt.

Did they taste different? I know how burning sugar smells but did the amount of sugar absorbed make a difference?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:27 pm 

Shihan wrote:
mryodahippie wrote:
...I took some washed leaves and soaked em in suger water overnight, then washed them again ( so they dont attract bugs) and hung them up seperately. Somewhere i got the idea of putting them in suger water right away so the plany absors it.

I hung them seperate and will see if they taste differnt.

Did they taste different? I know how burning sugar smells but did the amount of sugar absorbed make a difference?

They dried a good brown, very fast, didnt notice any real flavor change??? Also got alot of them mixed up with other hanging leaves.

I rolled a cigar with leaves inside leaves..etc..used burnt suger extract watered down to hol it togetehr. Put too much in middle part where i added some menthol tobacco, it carmolized like hard candy. The outside smoked great, the middle doesnt burn though?? LOL.
I think I like rolling the leaves and smoking them as much or more than putting them in tubes. Even in a pipe they burn quick, but man the tobacco tastes great!!!

Im as still letting my menthol experiment sit. Patience......

side note, got an attachment for lawn mower that rakes grass, then you shovel it in wagon made of canvass, gonna use that wagon to spray whole plants after harvesgt, so the leaves they get sprayed off can be collected!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:36 pm 

We have a bit of an assembly line when it comes to washing and hanging. After they're all picked and piled, the wife grabs a leaf and checks both sides for hornworm eggs, spider eggs, or any hatched worms (IMPORTANT!!). Once they're checked, they go into the kitchen sink. When a good pile is in there, they'll usually cover the drain enough so that the water is slowed down considerably. This partially fills the sink. Then with the sprayer, I spray each one separately over the stack, down both sides. Then they're stacked on a towel to the side to drain off further.

I find that the best time to do this is immediately after picking. While they're still stiff. When they get limp, it's harder to check the leaves. They'll end up sticking to each other or to itself. and it creates more work when they're hung because you have to come back and stretch them out so that they can dry. Burley likes to curl in all sorts of ways when it gets limp. So for me, I don't pick and clean if I'm not going to be able to immediately string them up afterwards.

As a side note, I like to use filtered water to spray them down. That way nothing in the water gets on the leaves. I installed a whole house filter on the kitchen sink (15000 gallon filter) for this purpose (and for clean water drinking... I'm a stickler for clean water). Beyond that, hang the leaves separated to allow to dry and to color change/dry. And you're set! =:D

*** And for extra fun! If you save all the hornworm eggs that haven't hatched, you can have a bit of revenge! I put the eggs in a pile on a piece of aluminum foil. Cupped so that they are all in one place. Then add bit of lighter fluid and light. Do this outside, because it stinks like burned hair. But they'll pop and fly when they explode! ***

Okay. I'm done. =:D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:29 pm 

Well I have tried washing my leaves in different ways. I started off using my kitchen sink and using a vegetable brush to clean and scrub them. Similar to what Ozark lady mentioned. I was quite amazed at how rough I could be when washing them. These are tough plants.

As I began picking of larger and larger leaves, washing them in the sink became problematic.

I devised a plan to take the larger leaves and putting them in my washing machine....but on Gentle Cycle only.
I was worried that doing this might tear the leaves apart even under a Gentle Cycle. This worked better than I had expected however.
I even added some detergent and a bit of Fabric softener with a mint smell. I spun them but had to carefully pick the leaves off of the washer tub when the cycle finished to place them in my dryer....again on Gentle and Fluff.
I had to keep re-drying them in increments of time so as not to burn them with too much heat.
The dryer Buzzer sounded for the last time of my trials and I let it cool down even longer before I opened the dryer door to see what a mess I had made.
To my surprise.....all of my leaves had Color Cured and were doing well and even my green leaves were now quite a vibrant color!
I was quite excited because not only had my tobacco leaves color-cured, it seems the heat and humidity from the washer to the dryer had fermented my tobacco also!

I had to try smoking some of it..how could I not?

I got it back to case then let it dry back down to handle it and cut and crushed a few of my leaves....got out my supermatic machine and made a few cigs and gave my wife one to try.

My wife was the first to exclaim.......these make the House smell good!
No more tobacco smell hanging off the walls or lingering in the air!

It-it-it smells like Frebreze!

We both tried another one of these Washer/Dryer cured smokes. Not quite as exciting this time.

It wasn't really so bad this time but there is just something about dryer lint in your teeth that sorta turns me off.
I think I will go back to the more traditional ways of doing tobacco guys! :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:53 am 

baccerman wrote:
I devised a plan to take the larger leaves and putting them in my washing machine....but on Gentle Cycle only.
I was worried that doing this might tear the leaves apart even under a Gentle Cycle. This worked better than I had expected however.
I even added some detergent and a bit of Fabric softener with a mint smell. I spun them but had to carefully pick the leaves off of the washer tub when the cycle finished to place them in my dryer....again on Gentle and Fluff.

I was waiting for the part about ironing the leaves so it is easier to roll a cigar :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:21 am 

Quote:
I even added some detergent and a bit of Fabric softener with a mint smell.

This I gotta hear more about, so how do those leaves smoke?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next