How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snails and slugs hate hot sauce
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:51 am 

My bucket planters were attracting a lot of large snails and slugs. These critters seem to have acquired a taste for tobacco and were reeking havoc on my small crop. They don't seem to eat any of the other plants in the yard and every night were making a b line straight for the tobacco!
I found a great solution on my first attempt and have been slug and snail free for over a month applying sriracha chili sauce on the rim of the buckets. I picked up an 18 Oz bottle of this garlic chili sauce for 2 bucks at the dollar store and squirted it into the rims around the top of the planters where it stays put. Watering occasionally disperses a bit down the outside of the buckets but have only needed to apply it once. Half a bottle took care of 40 buckets and I haven't lost a single leaf since I put it on. The one plant I put in the ground a few feet from my buckets as a control is stripped down badly but all the others are thriving.