How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is that sunburnt ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:06 am 

Some top leaves on my tobacco plants are getting wide light brown "stains" ! then they wither, and finally become totally dry. This is happening only on plants that are in the sun all day. Last few days have been scorching hot (I hate it !). Also in the morning, there is dew. Could it be a dew/sun burning? What shall I do? Cut those leaves off ? The plants that are in a cooler environment in the garden are doing great, so now I wonder about sun and tobacco?
On the pictures, you can see the different stages
ImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: Is that sunburnt ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:31 am 

Yup. The first two picts looks like sun and / or wind damage to me. I had some of that earlier this year during a very hot and windy 3-4 days, Had it on some of our corn too. Not much you can do about it. Nor is it much to worry about. It seems to happen to me when the plants are about at mid season growth when it's been very hot and windy. Then I don't see it anymore for the rest of the season.

The last photo could just be a severe case or maybe caused by some kind of insect. I would examine that leaf and plant closely for signs of biting or chewing insects, especially along the veins. If you don't see any sings of something chewing on them, then it is probably weather damage too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:46 am 

Thank you Skychaser for your quick reply .Yes there has been a lot of wind , too, before those last very hot days. About the last picture, no there is no trace of insects at all. And the leaves that limp and curl are at the very top of the plant, only. In fact, it is quite similar to what 's happening to the leaves of my squash and pumkins plants. I think green leaves plants don't like sun ! (like me ! :D ). Next year, I'll plan things differently !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:08 pm 

There is a small possibility of a systemic affliction... I find it difficult to think Marie has excess sun, or even wind in her garden area... not enough info...
So, I should leave it at that ???

May I ask??? Are there cats in the area ???

...Still, scorching hot is just that !

Yes, you should cut those leaves from the plant. They are toast, and will neither provide a good product, nor assist the plant in healthy growth.

Tobacco will grow under almost any conditions... yet will provide it's best with good aeration of roots and shade/protection from fierce sun & wind.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:44 pm 

Rustycase, this is happening on the highest level of my garden and it gets sun from east, south and west sides, which means all day. The leaves that are getting fried are all on the south side. It has been very hot for about two weeks about 35 C (95F) which is unusually hot for my area. I thought,too, about some kind of animals at first but some of the leaves that are affected are too high . A cat or a fox could not reach them. I'll definitely will not plant in this part of the garden next year ! Those that are planted in a cooler place are doing just great .I will follow your advice and cut those leaves off. Thank you for your help

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:20 am 

strange to hear about your exessive heat. Plus 35 degrees is very hot.
We normally never have more than 25 (yesterday was 30), but it is humid here and I water all the time if I think the plants are thirsty. Which I think they are.
My guess is, that if you could water, and protect the plants from the hot dry wind They would benifit from the heat.
In my glasshouse I have 30 degrees all the time and spraymist going on. Tropical rainforest.

... and the plants are 3 m tall and grow leaves of 80 cm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:14 pm 

The temperature came down a bit today and it feels good ! I have cut off about seven leaves that were burnt dry, hoping that I won't have anymore damage. The plants are blooming and I water every other day. It looks like your plants really like the greenhouse atmosphere, leaves of 80cm !!! In mine, I could grow maybe three of them but not more, it is not big enough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:42 am 

I would never have guessed you would see such high temps in France, Marie !
... shows what I know... lol

Here... 47C last month. took a pic of the thermometer. all baccy in direct sun !
No sunburn, so far...

Best
rc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:54 am 

So it must be the wind, the dry hot wind.
47 degrees! Thats deadly. For sure.
I have many times experienced more than 35 degrees ( like 10-20 times, in Greece, Italy and France) and it is devastating. The only time I experienced more than 40 was in Alsace, where it was 42. I was in "STAU" on the Autobahn on the German side of the border, coming up from Colmar and the truck drivers fell out of their lorries dead (one did), but others, us included had to drive off the Autobahn and find shade because both the audi and the passengers were boiling.
Still I think its about watering and wind.
So plant some poplars and you will have a nice Tobacco growing environment in 5 years. ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:15 pm 

No! no poplars!!!! :D Those trees attract lightning and there are very bad thunder storms in my area....
Rustycase, I have lived 4 years in San Diego, California. I remember those very high tempatures.So much sun and heat everyday could really make me feel depressed and home sick sometimes. I swore that I would never go back to a hot place anywhere in the world and I never have since ! But, I am happy I have seen cactuses bloom in the desert ! That was incredible !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:22 pm 

Marie, Do not give up on the sunny areas where your plants may be suffering sunburn. Let some of your plants in that area go to seed and try again next season, They may need to become acclimated to your environment. It may take a season or two.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:41 pm 

Marie, I was in SD a few months ago and will never go back. It has grown to most the outlying areas.
Los Angeles is a nightmare beyond redemption. One huge train wreck!

I am getting to the point where I should travel by train ! lol
...except no smoking !!!
rc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:24 am 

Butwiper, that's a good idea , I'll give it a try. A guy in the South of France has been experimenting with that technique in a very dry environment, very dry soil. Saving the seeds each year, it took him 3 years to get beautiful plants and vegetables. He uses no pestides, no fertilizers and no water (he has no water on his land anyway). Here is his video, it's in French but still you can see the poor soil he is cultivating in !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSCCp2kLVE

Rustycase, I'll never go back to SD or LA, too !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:23 am 

Good video, Marie !

I did notice he was taking full advantage of the shade, to conserve whatever moisture he could get !

My dirt is nearly as bad... Except for years I have been digging nearly ALL the household waste into the garden to improve the water retention and nutrient level.

If it were not for the drip irrigation system it would not be productive here in my garden.

Next year I hope to have shade for more of my plants, also.

Bonus !!! Our sons brought home about 20 T-posts yesterday, so perhaps I will be able to fence out the deer that continuously raid my garden !!

Best
rc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:55 am 

JPSDK wrote:
So it must be the wind, the dry hot wind.

Correct, the high temperatures and hot winds are overkill. I experienced that last year where I live.

butwiper wrote:
Marie, Do not give up on the sunny areas where your plants may be suffering sunburn. Let some of your plants in that area go to seed and try again next season, They may need to become acclimated to your environment. It may take a season or two.

Exactly!