How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bucket farm.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:14 pm 

This is my first attempt at tobacco farming. My dad sent me 9 varietals and I found a place that sells 4 gallon white yogurt pails for a buck a piece. So I germinated the seeds in early April and put them in coconut fibre cups once they started leafing out. Once they were about 4 inch leaves I hardened them off and planted the whole cup into the buckets. I drilled out holes about an inch from the bottom and put about 2 inches of drain rock in and filled with some special soil mix that I blended with some lama manure that was from the previous winter. The plants were growing ok but began to yellow on the bottom leaves and lugs. The two burley strains are very golden yellow colored. I was watering every 3 days about a quart to half gallon per 4 gallon pot. I fed them some miracle grow flowering fert. They greened up some but the burley remained yellow and the bottom leaves were turning white
I have cut way back on the water and switched to a good fish fetilizer 522 and only feed them that when I water once a week. I also bored some holes on the very bottom of the pails so no stagnant water will pool. They are taking off now and the viginias are getting some foot long leaves. The Turkish ones are tall with many smaller leaves. The periques are really small but very nice looking plants.
A few conclusions I've come to is to hold off on the water.
The manure from the lamas was too fresh to be of much nutritional value so the plants are lacking nitrogen partly from over watering. The soil I bought from the local landscape supply is heavy on wood mulch and is acidic
Which is fine but it's sterile and obviously poor in nitrogen and magnesium. I watered once with 3 tablespoons of epsom salts in 3 gallons of water and that gave positive results within 2 days. The fish fertilizer is working great so far and the only issue I have is that the burleys seem to be quite pale compared to the others.

Is burley normally a pale coloured plant compared to others?

Post subject: Re: Bucket farm.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:27 am 

Pipedream wrote:

Is burley normally a pale coloured plant compared to others?

Yup. If it is a white stemmed burley strain it is.

Post subject: Re: Bucket farm.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:42 pm 

Good to know. These two burleys do have a white stem and veins. Gold seal and 003 burleys .