How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time grower - need advice
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:35 pm 

Hi,

The names Tom and I'm from Queensland, Australia.
I'm a first time grower and sowed my first seeds (Havana, sherazi, Virginia, burley) on the 19/2/16. They all germinated very well - I just used a bought seed starter soil mix. My problem is that since germination, they have grown to approx 10mm high, with 2 leaves on each but have seem to stopped growing any further.

I have followed advice I have read on this forum - they are watered with a mist spray a few times a day, get about 6 hours of full sun in the morning to lunch time, then sit on the window sill, in filtered light for the remainder.

They are still in the little pots I germinated the seeds in and I have thinned them out to only a few plants per pot.

Can anyone please help me as to why they don't seem to be growing (at all).

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: First time grower - need advice
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:56 am 

hi,
probably the plants are employing the energy to developing the root ... and they have slowed growth.
this is my opinion.
I'd be careful to let him take full sun at this time

good work and fun
:D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:14 am 

Hope the plants have shown some growth by now, Tom !
By the time they are 3cm-4cm tall you should be watering them at least every other day from a tray beneath the pot.
Don't apply any fertilizer ! :-)

Bottom line is, this is the wrong time of year to begin growing in Queensland.
Never-the-less, it will be a good experiment for you, with results you can apply next spring, down under.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:10 am 

Thanks rc.

I know it's the wrong time of year here, but as you said, this is an experiment for me so I can iron out all the bugs so I'm good to go come spring.
I think I may have germinated them in a to heavy soil, hence its harder for the roots to establish. I work away and have had my wife keep them alive til I get home (tomorrow) and intend to transplant them. From what she tells me, they haven't grown a lot, so I will try putting them into different soil and fingers crossed, they take off. I have a fair few seedlings so I can experiment with different things.

Will keep you posted as to how they go.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:55 am 

I believe the watering from below that you're missing, as mentioned above, is meant to stimulate root growth. I'm as new at this as new can be, but my edumacation and research on the topic has led me to that conclusion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:07 am 

Yep, that's it... good for the root system to develop, and reach out for those nutrients to foster growth.
iam, they re not so hardy when very small. If you must transplant them, be very cautious. And get them as much sunlight as possible. Youprobably should put some of them in the 5gal/20 liter buckets so they can be brought in the house when it gets cold, down under. They actually do make a nice, pretty houseplant ! Look at the Bullseye photo gallery. He's got a buncha pics of his with Tammy alongside them as they grew. Not a lot of leaf to them, but they lived inside their whole life.
Your wife will like them...
rc