How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fortifying HoopHouse Greenhouses?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:58 am 

Hello everyone, my friend and I are deciding that we want to to try a greenhouse to avoid PEST and to shield from the elements mainly WIND, and extreme HEAT in our CA summers. Looking around the best I could find (for the price) was this beauty

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x10x6-Portable-Greenhouse-Large-Walk-in-Green-Garden-Hot-House-/191184266499?hash=item2c83786503:g:WnIAAOSw91NTtjoI

Our only concern is wind really. We are going to use this for our prized plants and do alot just openly outdoors however, how could we go about strengthening this bad boy so the wind doesnt get the best of it?

We have a few idea's but I am open to all suggestions. We plan to pick it up soon but would like some input before we purchase it from the resident experts here :wink: :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Fortifying HoopHouse Greenhouses?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:42 am 

I'm a resident Got Plenty of 2cents to contribute almost anywhere! And I can prove it ! lol

Here's what occurs to me...

If they are 'prized plants', they should be in a ridgid, fixed greenhouse, with a framed structure, and probably attached to the house, and both heating and cooling, along with humidity control.

Wouldn't that be nice.

IF you set up that hoop greehouse anywhere in populated Kalifornia, it will immediately come to the attention of everyone in the neighborhood and it will not be long before teenagers will be investigating it while you are asleep or at work.
There is yet another group interested in grabbing your money, and they show up in a large group, with loaded automatic weapons in battery position, armored vehicles, and they WILL force entry at Their option. Here and there, they scramble the address numbers, and they may even do so at your neighbors place... Then come over to your place!

Gosh that is negative! Sry...

I AM a Kalifornia native, and have lived here most my life.

I would very much like to have a greenhouse just like the one you posted, but the possible downside is just too much of a liability for me to even begin constructing a marginal one...

YMMV
rc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:32 am 

Thanks for the response! As for the concerns,

1) You make alot of sense lol but this is about as close as we can get to that in our situation with being able to monitor humidity and try to adjust it as needed. It would be nice to have it like that :| maybe next year :mrgreen:

2) The perimeter of their lot if fenced and the greenhouse would be placed on the non-visible, (to the main street) portion of the yard. They have 4 dogs atm (down from 7), 2 youngin's (1/3rd G.Shep, Rott, Pitt), a Full G. Shep and a Rott/Pitt. I love dogs and considered myself a bit of a whisperer, but those dogs took a long while to get used to me being inside the fence 8). As far as that last portion we are trying to keep it legal and outta sight but it is CA :/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:51 pm 

Yah, my post was really negative... sry.

There's a number of people on the web who have posted youtube videos on hoop tunnels/grow tunnels and a search should bring more things to look at for options.

Good luck!
rc