How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaf discoloration
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:43 am 

Some background:
I'm using an indoor hydroponic system, 26W CCFL grow lamp, 4-3-6 liquid fertilizer, water is essentially PH neutral with little dissolved solids. Light is set to 17h on, 7h off. The room is about 29% humidity, and stays at 70F +/- 5deg. (I can't change this.) The lamp however does produce sufficient heat to keep the plants noticeably warmer than the rest of the room.

My plants are growing well, but I'm concerned about leaf color. They started out green, but are yellowing a little.

That's not just over-exposure, they're actually yellow a bit.

The stalks are a little weak, and I'm considering using a shish-ka-bob skewer to help support them a bit.

Post subject: Re: Leaf discoloration
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:58 am 

Looks like they need some nitrogen and a little magnesium. What is the PPM of your solution? What is the ph? What nutrients are you using AMD when did you last change them out?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:38 am 

I'm using this stuff hxxp://www.aerogarden.com/accessories/a ... ottle.html and it's:

4% total nitrogen
- 1% ammoniacal nitrogen
- 3% nitrate nitrogen
3% Phosphate (P2O5)
6% Potash (K2O)
1% Calcium
0.5% Magnesium

I'm going to add another dose (4ml with 1l of water in the hydro bowl) and see if the discoloration goes away in a couple days.

Once I get a hang of the aerogarden and use up this 8oz, I think I'm going to be using some standard hydroponic nutrients instead of this "idiot proof stuff." I figured I'd need to add more nitrogen at some point, I just didn't expect it was going to be so soon, lol.

Edited to add:
I haven't changed out the nutrients yet, I was planning on doing so at the one-month mark.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:53 am 

I would change the nutrients out every week. the plants will suck out what nutrients they need pretty quick at a low dose and their waist needs to be changed out every week or two. They should green up after a water change

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:54 pm 

skewer not needed for support. if they are getting sufficient chems and minerals stalk will be fine. put a fan on em and they'll grow stronger.
Best
rc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:10 am 

Here they are as of 4/9:

They're still showing the yellow marbling, even though I'm feeding them weekly, and changing out the water every other week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:14 am 

Still looks like low nitrogen but it may be magnesium or iron locking out the nitrogen. What is the PH and temp of the water solution?
What is the PPM of your solution? Do you have an air stone in the solution? How big is the solution tank?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:14 am 

md, IMO... I can't see where a fabricated growing medium will ever have all the nutrients found in common soil.
Sure, they say only three elements are necessary for growth, then they quickly mention 14 secondary elements, and there's all sorts of trace elements available from simple dirt.
Your plants look great, but I would be hard pressed to hope for perfect growth from them.

Have you ever tried putting a control group out in the dirt for comparison?
...outside, in appropriate WX, with a nice vermiculture composted soil?

It would be valuable to see the difference... if the insects outdoors don't eat 'em up !
:-)
rc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:35 am 

Rusty Hydroponics if running correctly it gives all nutrients to the plant that it needs and will grow much faster than dirt can alone. Dirts disadvantage becomes water drainage. If you control the environment like enriching co2 and controlling humidity and temps to optimize nutrient uptake it doesn't matter what medium you use dirt, rocks, or water alone the plants will grow faster and produce larger fruit. All of this has to be controlled to some point to maintain a balance.

If the ph of the solution is to high or to low the nitrogen can not be used which looks the same as not enough nitrogen. It could also be trace minerals like calcium or magnesium or iron. But with a small water tank it is probably a pH issue locking out the nutrients

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:01 am 

us, I've been pretty much impressed with presentations on the biology of soil, and the effect of mycelium actually delivering nutrients to a plant's root system, by request, delivered through chemical pheremones.
I don't think this is possible in an aqueous system??? The system manager must make all assessments and decisions.
Yes, water drainage can be problematic, but the folks promoting land-based farming in a permaculture fashion feel a proper soil develops a structure that would resolve retention problems.
(Whew! Water drainage I have NO problem with!!!)
Have a look at those links I've posted... I'll guarantee they are fun! :-)
rc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:57 am 

I agree great soil is the only way to go. Much easier in the long run to have a balanced ecosystem and much less work. What I was trying to say is that if you can control every aspect of the environments (CO2 levels, temps, humidity, nutrients, etc)that plants will grow much faster and larger in the same amount of time. This would be to expensive to do on larger scale, This is not saying that this is better or not. I personally like organic dirt produce it tastes better to me than added fertilizers. In aquaponics you get free nitrogen all other elements the plant needs must be supplemented.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:37 am 

I keep forgetting to test the PH of the water. I have the kit I use for my swimming pool at home, but haven't remembered to bring it into work to test the water yet. The new growth leaves are nice and plush and green.

4/13:

I think this hydroponic system might be too small to grow this many plants effectively. It sure started them quickly though. I only planted these on 3/4, so they're just about 5 weeks old.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:48 am 

You have probably sorted this out by now but they look sickly to me.

Looks like they are trying to copy the Philodendron growing next to them.

My first guess would be a lack of N.