How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First Time Grower-- How's my plant doing?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:17 am 

Got a new question for everybody-- why is it that my plant is growing so slow/is so small? I mean, I get that I was giving it too much light, but I feel like it's still really small for it's age...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:27 am 

Well as far as I can see with Your pots, are- Change the soil they are in. They are in need of real dirt now. potting soil to start is good. They need some garden soil now. After they have adjusted to the new dirt.- Get some scissors and clip the leafs in half. Yes clip them. They will blow Your mind! Use some sea weed and kitchen scraps in the dirt. If this sound crazy, Then My 12 to 16 ft. plants hate Me. Mad-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:32 am 

Alright, well I guess that brings up a couple more questions-- What's the difference between garden soil and potting soil? How do I change the soil if it's currently in mostly potting soil? Why cut the leaves? And what do I do with the halves that were cut off?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:49 am 

keep6 wrote:
Alright, well I guess that brings up a couple more questions-- What's the difference between garden soil and potting soil? How do I change the soil if it's currently in mostly potting soil? Why cut the leaves? And what do I do with the halves that were cut off?

Don't panic, Garden soil is compost with nutrients there. Potting soil is pet moss and verlite type of water retention type of pellets. Artsy fartsy (little white balls to hold water) Types vary. (made to start plants). Potting soil is 2x the price of garden soil, and garden soil has alot of sticks and what not to be seen. After the plant has 4 leafs, put them in garden soil. Then in the ground. There is no nicotine in the leaf You clip! Throw it in the bottom for scrap. What will happen, is when You clip them -It will chain react the roots to put out nicotine to protect the plant and make it strong in girth and production. And Yes You may PM Me. Mad Oshea-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:52 am 

If you are planning to grow the plant entirely indoors, ie never plant it in the ground outside, then I'd think very carefull before you switched it to garden soil. Garden soil has a bad habit of packing down and becoming like cement inside because the earthworm activity, tilling, etc. that is done outside is gone so the soil just compacts and compacts. That's why potting soil is called potting soil -- it is designed for use in pots and has super-high organic matter as well as sometimes other light materials like vermiculite and perlite that maintain good porosity and aeration even in pots. You will have to fertililze potting soil of course to maintain optimal growth because it has no true mineral soil in it so once the plants use up whatever nutrients were there at the start, there are no soil minerals to break down and release new nutrients -- you have to add those.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:05 am 

don555 wrote:
If you are planning to grow the plant entirely indoors, ie never plant it in the ground outside, then I'd think very carefull before you switched it to garden soil. Garden soil has a bad habit of packing down and becoming like cement inside because the earthworm activity, tilling, etc. that is done outside is gone so the soil just compacts and compacts. That's why potting soil is called potting soil -- it is designed for use in pots and has super-high organic matter as well as sometimes other light materials like vermiculite and perlite that maintain good porosity and aeration even in pots. You will have to fertililze potting soil of course to maintain optimal growth because it has no true mineral soil in it so once the plants use up whatever nutrients were there at the start, there are no soil minerals to break down and release new nutrients -- you have to add those.

Thanks for the heads up. Right now I'm betting that's what's gonna happen, as it looks like we may get a false spring where I'm living. Other than that, what do you recommend I use for fertilizer that won't make my apartment smell terrible?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:37 am 

don555 wrote:

The garden soil that I was refering to, was in a bag like the potting soil. I never had any clump hard on Me. I did however start seeds last year in garden soil (bag). The plants had to work at rooting more than potting soil. You can get bag garden soil at Walmart cheap. It wont clump like outside soil. It is all bio compost of living matter. I use it on My bucket plants with a small amount of outside dirt on top to help keep moisture in.Keep in mind, light and ferts. are a big must on indoor plants.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:01 pm 

Oh OK, I've seen that bagged "garden soil", really some kind of potting soil. I think people use it for raised bed gardening. It should be fine, it has lots of organic matter and shouldn't compact much.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:56 pm 

don555 wrote:
Oh OK, I've seen that bagged "garden soil", really some kind of potting soil. I think people use it for raised bed gardening. It should be fine, it has lots of organic matter and shouldn't compact much.

POGreen in Sweden posted (FTT) a pic. of cutting six holes in the side of a bag of garden soil, and put the plants in the holes. Kind of blew Me away to see a simple thing like that. They were monster plants. Just plain garden soil from the store with plants in the side of the bag. What will We see next? No pots, no buckets, no effort and no work. Mad-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:18 pm 

what do you recommend I use for fertilizer that won't make my apartment smell terrible?

The Potting Soil is made for use indoors, and in people's homes.
If you are sensitive, go to a nice nursery store and purchase one of the more expensive brands.
You will be using it for the Solanaceae family. ...anything that works for tomatoes will apply to nicotiana.

After 3 or 4 months, if still indoors, you may re-pot in a larger container, using some of the remaining soil, and perhaps some interesting liquid fertilizers.

HTGT user Bullseye grew some great plants, mostly indoors, a while back. Search for his posts, or his gallery pics!
They are kinda fun!

Best
rc

(I really takes a tad more than a 5 gallon plastic bucket to grow a baccy plant to maturity, but many people do pretty darned well with salvaged 5's !)

Get a 2nd opinion on anything I say!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 pm 

Ground planting is better, Buckets are great for a no space spot, and a teaspoon of houshold amonia in a gallon of water will be fresh. epsom salts is good, and plain nitrogen all mixed has no donkey smell. Mad-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:56 pm 

ok... of course I agree with mad. outdoor grow is best
but even in cuba the best is shade covered!

here's the Bullseye thread...

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4466&p=46398&hilit=bullseye#p46398

he did a very nice job!

Nice fellow. I guess he has other irons in the fire, these days???
rc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:20 pm 

RC, that is a 2011 post and still holds a 10 star for Me, My bucket plants fetch 50 bucks USD here. That is at the 2' stage. That is what offers are here, not what I charge. 50 bucks is good? That goes to show how nice a bucket grow can be. A real show plant! I loved to see that again buddy, Thanks. Mad-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:49 am 

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Bullseye's thread was really cool, thanks for showing that to me.

As for an outdoor grow, I don't think I'll be able to do that right now. I currently live in Northern Arizona (USA), and the soil here is really rocky and weather-wise it's really hot and really dry. On top of that my lease isn't up until May, so I can't plant anything outside until then even if the area allowed it...

Either way, to clarify on one of Mad Oshea's suggestions, how far/much of the leaf should I clip off? And how many? I'm assuming you're suggesting that I cut it perpendicular to the midrib? Is this a common practice for tobacco, should I be doing this semi-regularly?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:58 am 

keep6 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Bullseye's thread was really cool, thanks for showing that to me.

As for an outdoor grow, I don't think I'll be able to do that right now. I currently live in Northern Arizona (USA), and the soil here is really rocky and weather-wise it's really hot and really dry. On top of that my lease isn't up until May, so I can't plant anything outside until then even if the area allowed it...

Either way, to clarify on one of Mad Oshea's suggestions, how far/much of the leaf should I clip off? And how many? I'm assuming you're suggesting that I cut it perpendicular to the midrib? Is this a common practice for tobacco, should I be doing this semi-regularly?

No, just clip it from one side to the other. Not down the rib. I only clip them in cups ( half of the leafs or so)-If they are to big for the cups befor I set them out. I mow them only one time as well. This (mowing) is common to comercial tobacco from what I have learned. I do it for the benefit of the plants. No need to do it again. I know a few Guys growing in Arizona. Most of the plants they have are buckets as well. Nice plants They grow.