How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First Time Grower-- How's my plant doing?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:51 pm 

Question: So my plant has grown alot since these photos were taken. That said, with it's growth I've seen a couple of mushrooms pop up here and there. I pick them when I see them, but was wondering why they were popping up and if there's anything I should be doing about it?

Also, I haven't gotten a new pot for it yet, but I should be able to get one by the end of the week. I'll post picture updates sometime tomorrow most likely. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:05 am 

keep6 wrote:
Question: So my plant has grown alot since these photos were taken. That said, with it's growth I've seen a couple of mushrooms pop up here and there. I pick them when I see them, but was wondering why they were popping up and if there's anything I should be doing about it?

Probably just spores in the potting mix or whatever you have as top soil. Nothing too much to worry about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:08 pm 

Just repotted my plant. Here are a couple photos.

EDIT: made the pictures a bit smaller.

Last edited by keep6 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:39 pm 

I think your plants look pale, kind of yellowish. I usually associate that with nitrogen deficiency, but it's hard to say for sure because I don't know your soil or how much fertilizer you've been giving it. It could also be due to other things like too wet soil, root damage due to insects, wrong pH of the soil, salts or other contaminants damaging the roots etc., or even too much fertilizer, so I can't really be helpful here except to say that something isn't right. It doesn't look like a light issue though, as your plant isn't leggy like when a plant doesn't get enough light.

---Edited out the rest of my original post, since I think some viewers might confuse the photos I posted with Keep6's plant photos.---

Last edited by don555 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:18 pm 

In regards to the colour, I believe it has to do with the lighting. My apt isn't very well lit, especially in that particular spot. When looking at them in person the new leaves have a very nice deep green that frankly wasn't captured in the photos. That said, how would I go about testing the soil?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:21 pm 

You can buy soil testing kits but most would only tell you pH, not things like salinity. Not sure about nutrient testing kits. I went back and read the whole thread carefully and I see you said you like growing plants, so you probably have a good handle on things like watering and fertilizing, so maybe you are right, maybe it is just a sunlight issue. In that case I'm surprised though they didn't go leggy and weak on you when they first germinated. They certainly look big and healthy otherwise, so they do seem to be growing well even if a bit pale and slow. Avid plant grower but my first time growing nicotianas too, so others can certainly give you better advice on if they are growing and looking okay.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:24 am 

if your plants are yellow you can try adding 1 teaspoon of epson salt to 1 gallon of water. Give the plants some of this in your next watering and they should green up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:07 am 

lakota53 wrote:
if your plants are yellow you can try adding 1 teaspoon of epson salt to 1 gallon of water. Give the plants some of this in your next watering and they should green up

Epsom salts are really only a quick fix.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:21 am 

yes I agree it is a quick fix. Looking at the pictures, the plants should be repotted soon. The quick fix and more soil will help the overall health and growth of the plants. I understand He wants them to bolt to flower but being in small pots might make them root bound.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:54 pm 

it looks lonesome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:05 pm 

drbob wrote:
it looks lonesome

Haha! I've got some little seedlings that are growing next to it-- it should have a couple of buddies in a month or two :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:03 am 

It looks pretty good to me. Photos often don't due them justice. It's going to really take off and grow in that size pot as soon as it's gets its roots out a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:45 pm 

Read else where on here that 24h lighting is not good. I haven't turned my plant's light off in months. Am I royally screwed? Is there anything I can do about it now?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:20 pm 

That might explain the yellowing issue even when your plants aren't going leggy! I have my lights on 16 hours, off 8. Plants have specific functions they perform during the day and others they do at night, so 24 hours per day will stress them. (That said, not sure how plants above the Arctic circle do it with 24 hours of sun during summer, but I'm presuming they are specially adapted to those conditions and maybe do their "night" stuff when it is cloudy and dull.)

Fix should be easy, switch to 16/8 or 14/10. Don't try to compensate though and go to 24 hour darkness, all they need is a return to a normal day/night cycle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 pm 

don555 wrote:
That might explain the yellowing issue even when your plants aren't going leggy! I have my lights on 16 hours, off 8. Plants have specific functions they perform during the day and others they do at night, so 24 hours per day will stress them. (That said, not sure how plants above the Arctic circle do it with 24 hours of sun during summer, but I'm presuming they are specially adapted to those conditions and maybe do their "night" stuff when it is cloudy and dull.)

Fix should be easy, switch to 16/8 or 14/10. Don't try to compensate though and go to 24 hour darkness, all they need is a return to a normal day/night cycle.

Sweet! Thank you so much! I got super worried that I had really screwed up.