How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: automatic water systems
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:40 am 

Sorry if this has come up but does anyone here have an automated watering system?

I'm all for timers, valves and sensors. Anyone have examples of systems they use for auto or semi auto watering?

Fancy or cheap I don't care, just after some inspiration. :-)

Rob

Post subject: Re: automatic water systems
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:04 am 

Haven't tried it. ...yet.

http://www.statesman.com/news/lifestyle ... g-t/nSLYz/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:31 am 

That is a very cool technique. Those ancient civilizations really knew their stuff haha

My dad has an extensive herb garden he waters with a soaker hose and timer. I think I'm going go that rout next year. Seems most reasonable. I wanna use rain barrels too next year... gonna try to work that in as well. May have to build a water tower of sorts... haha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:26 am 

Keep in mind that tobacco typically does not need to be watered very often. Unless you are in the desert I doubt you would need to irrigate. Keep it simple. Tobacco is like a weed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:42 am 

Jitterbugdude wrote:
Keep in mind that tobacco typically does not need to be watered very often. Unless you are in the desert I doubt you would need to irrigate. Keep it simple. Tobacco is like a weed.

I'll be growing in the high desert of Nevada...so, some sort of irrigation is gonna be on my mind. the clay pot method from above is tempting but, I'm looking at possibly using subsurface drip lines.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:09 pm 

Yes, I use drip irrigation, balanced by hand watering, which gives me the ground time to inspect everything on a frequent basis. Never tried sub-surface, but all the main and feeder lines can be covered so they don't get cooked in the sun. The flag dripper itself can be very close to the plnt so the water emitted with go straight down to the root stock.
Longer periods of heavy duration for deep roots, multiple periods of short duration for shallow rooted plants.
IMO, if the water is 'hard', it would plug up emitters of a subsurface system.
And I know it plugs up the soaker hoses.
A flag dripper can be cleaned out quickly, whenever needed. 8LPH is my favorite size.
Best
rc

edit... I had a few of those battery operated electronic timers bought at yard sales.
None of 'em worked properly, which is not saying a new one would not work well, for a year or so...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:29 pm 

Hi
I use this 'sometimes" The 1/2" x 500' costs $44. here http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Gar ... 5yc1vZbx57

Neighbor went in and found 4 rolls that had been sold and returned. He argued that they could not tell if they were full rolls . Ended up at $10 a roll so I took 2 of them. Might be wise to look at them and argue if they were opened. Lee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:42 pm 

+1
ALL mine is discards from commercial ag. main line, that is...

Mineral buildup from running well water. Commercial guys sometimes use an acid flush, some just change out the lines periodically. I found a HUGE pile with a FREE sign, along side an orchard. Loaded up the truck, that was already loaded! lol

Flushed it when I installed it, and not too many probs with plugged emitters.
I got enough to do a commercial venture now... just need a $5k tractor w implements. lol
rc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:57 pm 

I did not want to start a new topic. Most good curring are Green bryor, Orinoco. I have 10 strains, the worst looking is virginia gold, 9 of 10 is pale yellow and began to mildew. And also I have earnd a expierence not to overdose ammonium nitrate, I tryed for experiment, these plants are stayed green after drying over month :) Tryed to smoke, smells like a shit ")

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:06 pm 

Rustycase what your government tells you about Ukraine, or does not tell anything. I live nearby, my girlfriend have been in Crimea, before wAR in 2013 summer. She called me and cryed , no internet and twice tried to rape. was no wonder that they wanted to separate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:51 pm 

Juris004, I remember the pic of your girlfriend... same one? Pretty girl.

I watch Vice News segments on Youtube. Probably not the whole story, but they have done many reports on the fighting.
Hard to say if the Donetsk Republic will hold up, but Russia is not going to let the Crimea go to Ukraine.
Sebastopol is very important to them!

juris, this is from Luhansk...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV70uDYUqlc

Good luck w girl friend.
rc