How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plant Those Suckers!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:56 am 

I'm not sure who I can credit for planting the idea in my mind, but it was someone here. As this is my first year, I made some mistakes. One of them was miss-judging my garden plot size and I ended up with a nice sized empty section just begging to be planted. I figured started out some new sets from seed would be in vain. I read somewhere of people trying to plant suckers, so I gave it a shot. Nothing special, I just cut them off the plants with a razor and stuck them in sopping wet potting soil under a shop light. No rooting solution or anything. To my amazement , 22 of the 25 planted suckers are alive and well, now 3 weeks later! I plan to transplant them this weekend. I'm curious how they will produce, but I think they will do well. For anyone wishing they had some extra plants to start, try planting a few suckers.

Post subject: Re: Plant Those Suckers!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:38 am 

+1

Yep!
It works.
:-)
rc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:21 pm 

It is called cloning. If you want to add a rooting mix , try plain honey. works as good as the bought stuff, just dip the ends in honey and stix it in wet potting soil.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:02 pm 

I've had stripped and cut turkish stalks root in with just ground contact before. Baccys one tough plant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:11 pm 

smbdyiam wrote:
It is called cloning. If you want to add a rooting mix , try plain honey. works as good as the bought stuff, just dip the ends in honey and stix it in wet potting soil.

That's really interesting. I may have to try that. I've tried Burley and Virginia in just plain soil, and both rooted. The Virginia did so insanely fast. Less than 2 weeks after taking the cuttings they were completely root bound in Dixie cups.