How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To Early to Start Priming? (Video)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:22 pm 

After only 6 weeks in the garden, I have some lower leaves already yellowing. I am growing Black Sea Samsun, Virginia gold, and Golden Burley. The primary culprit is the burley. I did start my plants a bit too early indoors, and they were about 2 months old when transplanted. Many of them have also already begun to flower, though the burley has just started forming small buds. I live in southern Pa. and the growing season can easily go till late September.

Last week I went through the patch and picked off all the yellowing leaves, 2-3 each, from my burley plants. In one week they have all color cured beautifully to a rich dark brown, with only a few of the largest stems still being moist. Now, a week later, more of the leaves have yellowed, though not as much as last weeks. These are more of a 80% light green with yellow edges and blotches. They also snap right off like celery as people describe. I shot some video for friends and fellow tobacco lovers that shows a good look at my patch. I Don't want any lower leaves to rot away and go to waste, but I don't want to harvest any more if it's to early. Any ideas? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Q2MWZ ... ohmmmshcky

Post subject: Re: To Early to Start Priming? (Video)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:34 am 

You made a nice video!
Seems like you are on the right track.
...Gosh do you have your work cut out for you at harvest time!!!
Review as much info as you can about color-curing before that time arrives.

Spacing is about the only problem I can see with your grow... yet as you mentioned, it's a learning experience!
Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:21 am 

Yea, I definitely got my measurements off big time. I initially thought I was going to run out of garden space, so I crammed a little closer together and planted some off to the side. turns out I could have fit at least another 30-40 plants. Most of them are about 3 feet apart, which is what I read on a seed retailers page to space them at. A little to close. I can still walk between the rows fairly easily, but that could change.

I also noticed afterward that the burley is in fact flowering also, just not as noticeably. Harvest generally should begin 3-4 weeks after topping correct?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:59 pm 

Nothing about weeks...

At OUR LEVEL of growing, priming the leaf is the best advantage.

Some strains begin 'alligatoring'. They get kinda bumpy, then speckled yellow, and then more yellowish.
Judge each leaf, at that time, when you make a pass through your patch.

When you have collected an armload, put 'em in a pile on the ground, cover with a tarp, or large piece of cardboard box, and let 'em set for a day or so. NOT more than that! lol

Then rinse 'em all off and string 'em up on 4ft lengths of fence wire in a shady, cool spot, with air circulation between leaves.

Or you can flue cure or build a kiln or do other fancy stuff!

Lotsa fun!
rc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:06 am 

rustycase wrote:
Nothing about weeks...

At OUR LEVEL of growing, priming the leaf is the best advantage.

Some strains begin 'alligatoring'. They get kinda bumpy, then speckled yellow, and then more yellowish.
Judge each leaf, at that time, when you make a pass through your patch.

When you have collected an armload, put 'em in a pile on the ground, cover with a tarp, or large piece of cardboard box, and let 'em set for a day or so. NOT more than that! lol

Then rinse 'em all off and string 'em up on 4ft lengths of fence wire in a shady, cool spot, with air circulation between leaves.

Or you can flue cure or build a kiln or do other fancy stuff!

Lotsa fun!
rc

What is the real benefit of the initial "sweating" your leaves, leaving them out on the ground for a day or to? Is it a major problem to just hang immediately?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:51 pm 

hanzy4200 wrote:

What is the real benefit of the initial "sweating" your leaves, leaving them out on the ground for a day or to?

With the types you are growing, none. It's a way of trying to color dark green stubborn leaves, but most likely you'll just make compost.

Golden Burley has very light green leaves that quickly turn golden yellow as the plant grows and they mature. You can prime them as they turn yellow or leave them on the plant for 2-3 weeks more with no problem. I grew a hundred of them last year and primed about 1/3 of them and stalk cured the rest. I cut and hung them about 3 weeks after topping and suckering them. They were golden yellow 3/4 the way to the top by then. It's very easy to cure either way. Great plant. It only needs 2-3 months aging before it's smokable. Nice mild Burley. It's 25% of my current blend. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:31 am 

lol

Well, there's the 2nd opinion!

Sky trumps the likes of me!

You should try his method first.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:47 am 

Great video. Looks like you have things under control! :D