How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaf scorch
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:48 am 

We are having a heatwave here in the UK right now and my tobacco is getting scorched. I can't tell if it's more than just too much sun - maybe I have been over fertilising, and I've probably been under watering them as by the end of the day they are looking pretty unhappy. I'm going to put them under some muslin tomorrow if the sun continues but in the meantime - should I remove the damaged leaves? Or cut off the scorched areas? Or should I just leave them to rot off on their own? I don't want to open myself up to and diseases. Any help would be appreciated :-)

Post subject: Re: Leaf scorch
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:41 am 

It is normal for tobacco to wilt during the day during very hot weather. More watering won't make much difference. It's just their nature. If they have perked back up by the next morning, they are doing fine. If they still look wilted in the morning, then they do need more water. You can cut off the sun scalded leaves if you want to, but they don't really hurt the plant. If part of the leaf is still green, it will keep growing and be harvestable. The scalded part won't be any good through.

Post subject: Re: Leaf scorch
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:39 pm 

Many thanks for that info :-)