How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not going so well!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:38 am 

So my tobacco plants does not seem to like the climate here in Finland.. :(
Those plants that are outside have not grown anything at all since I planted them a month ago.
And then they started the get brown, kinda burned-looking leaves.
At first it was very warm and sunny, but the last 2 weeks it has been rainy and cold.. almost down to 0 degrees celsius at some nights.
But the brownish started only after a week or so, before it got cold.

Here are the burned leaves, almost every plant have them now, and none of them look like they are going to grow.

This plant is just as old as the other ones, but it has been in a pot in my kitchen.

I still have around 30 other ones that are too small to put outside.. especially the rustica grows VERY slow, I sowed the seeds in the middle of april. :?
I also noticed while I was browsing around on the forum, that my plants are much taller and thinner, and has less leaves than everyone elses.
Is that a result of being in a too dark place when they were seedlings?

So what do you guys think, why don't they start to grow? Soiltype, climate, need fertilizer?
Maybe first and last time I try to grow tobacco. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Not going so well!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:08 pm 

I am not good at translating Celsius to Fahrenheit... 0 isn't that freezing?

Only cold weather plants: spinach, kale, swiss chard etc can survive here when temps are within a few degrees of freezing, and they certainly don't grow. The sap stays down in the roots where it is warmer.

Do tomatoes grow there? Tobacco is in the same family and grow during the same season.

My first year growing, I started a lot too late and had dismal results.

So, when is your gardening season for warm season plants? Are you high altitude and always pretty cool?

I am not familiar with northern growing at all, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:30 pm 

It is the weather. 0º celcus is the same as 32º F frost can occur at 38º f so most likely frost it looks like a burn which is typical of frost burns. just like food in freezer, freezer burn/ Frost happens when moisture in air freezes and falls to ground . so upper air is colder and frost falls to ground burning plants even if ground temps did not get to freezing. sorry .
They may still pull out if keep covered at night for a week or two. do not cover with plastic or metal if it touches plants . space above is fine just not touching , also any cloth works great . good luck and keep trying it is fun when the results are seen. Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:05 pm 

Mr. Piratin,

It seems to me your crop is severely affected by the proximity of Kryptonite.
Have any KGB Ruskies been spotted in the vicinity recently???

:-)

Seriously...
I would agree with Lee.

The necrosis is most likely cause by the cold.
The weather in Finland is simply NOT the best for growing tobacco!
Imagine that!

Best to talk with other members from England, and others, (Sig in Norway), who live at high lattitudes and see how they cope with the cold WX and short growing season.

Skychaser would also be good to ask, because he sells seed around the globe and can offer good advise.

Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:31 pm 

:lol: Kryptonite? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:27 am 

It's pretty common for tobacco to sit there and do nothing the first couple weeks after planting it out. Although it looks like nothing is happening above, the roots are growing and spreading underground. Once it gets its feet into the ground, it takes off and grows like mad.

Mounding rows up isn't necessary unless you have soil with very poor drainage. The soil in the mounded rows may not be staying wet enough. Although tobacco is drought tolerant, seedlings need moist soil to get their roots out. They may not be getting enough water. You don't want mud, but try to keep the top soil moist during the first month.

It is possible you got hit by some frost too. If that is the case and they were not killed outright, they should recover. I get temps here in June down into the 30's after planting every year here. Had three so far this year at 38, 37 and 34f (1c) with no ill effects. Did you harden them off for a week or so before planting them out? If they were not hardened off it will set them back some after planting too but they will recover soon and grow normally.

..."frost can occur at 38º f so most likely frost it looks like a burn which is typical of frost burns. just like food in freezer, freezer burn/ Frost happens when moisture in air freezes and falls to ground . so upper air is colder and frost falls to ground burning plants even if ground temps did not get to freezing."....

Lee, I have heard this before but have never seen any proof it is true. Got a link that proves it is more than rumor? I have never experienced it. I monitor my temps very carefully and have a wireless digital thermometer in my field and another in my yard that report back to my weather station and records daily highs and lows. If you want a good reliable poor mans thermometer, plant some squash or melons. The slightest frost will burn the leaves badly and you will have no doubts that it hit freezing for a short time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:34 pm 

Well I said this from personal experience. I see it every year here. So had to look a little . but found many references to it . Most were saying that temps went to or below 32º some said it was spotty frost in one spot and not another . Yep I see frost on north side of house and not on west. but temps were same outside at night , no sun. So finally asked those I trust the least U.S. Government. link below. Lee

http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=FROST

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:00 am 

They will recover with the summer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:54 am 

Thank you for all the answers!
Well I don't think they are frostburned, the leaves started to look like that before the couple of cold weeks we had here.
I just checked my thermometer, the coldest it has been so far this summer is +3 degrees celsius.

I did kinda harden them off before I planted them outside, I had them in a .. I don't know what it's called in english, a "enteringroom" when you step into my house which have windows on 3 sides of it, kinda lika a greenhouse, but it is not heated, so it's cold on nights and very warm on the days.

The first two weeks they were outside it was very warm, about +15 celsius at night and between +20 and +30 celsius at day, and very sunny.
After the first week they got those brownish crunchy leaves.
I had to water them atleast twice a day.

Would they look like that if the soil has too high or low pH?
The soil is mostly sand and mud.. all we got here, and didn't want to spend much money buying real soil.
Or could it be the wind? Because those who are closest to my windshelter is starting to look a liiiittle bit like real tobaccoplants!

Also map, any difference which cardinal direction they are facing?

The yellow thing above the field is my windshelter to protect them from the cold northern wind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 am 

I believe the word you are looking for is:
Sunroom... it has windows on 2-3 sides, is not normally heated nor cooled. It is often set up with furniture for you to relax in.

Entering room also sort of works, but that could mean a porch, and a porch does not necessarily have walls at all. A porch can have half walls and screens, but not usually glass.

Your English is great!

I don't know why your leaves are doing that, I leave that up to wiser heads than mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:07 am 

Yeah, maybe it is called sunroom :D

Well my plants seem to have recovered somehow, have not touched them at all or watered them at all for a long time, yet they seem to begin to grow now!
Along with some other weeds..

I don't know if they have the time to grow fullsize before the winter arrives, I started them too late, and this many weeks before they actually started to grow outside is a setback.

And yes, someone asked if tobacco even grow in Finland, my grandma said she grew them all the time for her father when she was a young girl.
She said they fermented them by putting them in boxes, and then threw them in the dungpile.. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:18 pm 

If anyone reads this and wonder whether they died or started growing.. here's the answer :D
Guess they are supposed to look like they are dying right before they start to grow like the beanstalk from that fairy tale!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:51 am 

Great they like it there. well done here is to continued good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:25 am 

Long shadows, but the plants look fine!
You are doing very well !
rc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:28 am 

Wow! Thanks for showing us... You did wonderful. And we have learned a bit more about tobacco! Thanks