How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Few Questions From a First time Grower- Suckering, ect.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:36 pm 

Firstly, thank you to all that post here, you have been a big help thus far. As I sit today, I have approx. 120 plants in the ground ranging from 3 1/2 feet, to 3 inches. 40% Virginia Gold, 40% Golden Burley, and 20% Black Sea Samsun. My first set was started indoors a bit early, about 8 weeks prior to planning season. As a result, some of the plants were much bigger than they should have been, especially the Samsun.

Now my questions/issues. My Samsun is flowering. They have only been outdoors in southern Pa for about a month. They are sticky as heck. I've topped and suckered all of them. Will these plants revert to their normal growing cycle or are they doomed to a early harvest? They are only 2 1/2- 3 feet tall and the yield would by pathetic. Also, the suckers and tops I have removed, are these worth saving? Can they be cured and smoked as normal? And can this be said for all my varieties? I cut several pounds worth of suckers today and would hate to throw them out.

Suckers. Many of my plants, all varieties, have serious suckering, some with leaves 4-5 inches long and several inches wide. Again, these plants are relatively young and have a solid 60 days worth of growing time left. Is all growth originating from the base of prior growth considered a sucker? Many of them look (looked) like they would have gotten quite large with time. Is there and value in letting some of these mature?

Odd, second plant looking growth from the bases of plants- I have 5 or 6 plants that despite looking quite healthy, have produced a second stalk, nearly as large as the first, jutting from the ground a inch or so from the main stalk. Initially, I thought a second seedling had hijacked a ride, but it turns out it's just extra growth. What do I do with these? They look as if the will grow quite well and produce some significant tobacco. Same goes for some bottom leaves on all my plants that a yellow to very light yellow. Can these be harvested know of best left alone? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: A Few Questions From a First time Grower- Suckering, ect.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:20 pm 

It seems we don't have all the information.
Details are kinda important.
Where are you?
How many plants, and strains are you growing? Under what conditions?
Can you post pics of what is going on so we can see?
Pics are really very helpful!

Best
rc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:35 am 

Those bottom leaves are called sand lugs... it is normal for them to turn yellow now.
It is also optional to harvest them... they won't be high quality, but good to practice curing on... or you can leave them alone and they will break down and rot away.

When I grew Samsun, it never got more than 4' tall and that was with the flower head.
They grew in all kinds of odd shapes and had stems everywhere, and sent down roots anywhere the stem touched the ground... mine were mostly connected, almost bushlike in some places. I don't sucker the plants at all, they can grow them however they want.. and they got ... interesting, weird, hard to inspect.
Oh but Samsun is tasty!

120 plants... pretty large grow and it sounds like you have a plan, based on the % ratios.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:11 pm 

Could you please help me identify these as a suckers?? Should I pinch them off??

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:12 pm 

Yes.
Those are suckers.
You can push 'em over with your finger and they will snap off.
I like to use a cheap retractable razor knife for a clean cut.
Some strains develop a lot of them, others, not so many.
Best
rc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:11 am 

You can let those ground suckers grow if you want. I often let them grow and they will develop into a second stalk nearly as large as the parent plant. You can cure the ones you have cut. They will be more difficult to color than mature leaves and won't have the full flavor or nicotine of a mature leaf, but they still make decent smoke.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:26 am 

Yeah I think I shall let two of them growing and I will see how it develops..for an experience at least...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:46 pm 

I've attempted to upload pictures here in the past, and it was a friggin nightmare! I'm more or less just going to have to play this by ear. My conclusion thus far is that by starting my plants indoors too early, that they now believe it to be late in the year and are attempting to go to seed. I'm going to monitor them and hopefully the will set back into vegetative mode, but if not, I will begin harvesting them. The suckers, I can only assume need to go. In hindsight, I possibly should have left some of the largest ones go, as they would have likely produced well and huge beautiful leaves are not my ultimate goal.

On another note, I've kept 4 plants in front of my house in 5 gallon buckets. One of the Burley's is going 80% yellow, all but the center leaves. One of the Virginias is doing the same, but only perhaps 30%. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:51 am 

I found out that some plants are forming buds...mostly hidden in leaves..should I remove them or leave until I see first flowers opening??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:08 am 

How much rain is too much? Here is raining for few days...not still but lot of time...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:35 am 

This is my 1st time growing so take anything i say with a grain of salt. Mine started trying to flower at 2 to 3 feet tall. I was worried they wouldnt grow much more. I dehead the flower buds and most of the suckers constantly. Those flower heads come back every week. My plants have steadily grown. Some reaching almost 6 feet tall. I have a few that formed a second stalk and have let them grow. It probably affects the leaf size a bit to let that extra stalk grow but its fun to have a few freakshows to observe. Plus, its the only way to learn is to try it.

Thats the cool thing about growing your own, you can grow them anyway you seem fit and see what works best for you.

How much rain is too much?

That was probably too much. They recovered just fine. Well, most of them anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:05 am 

Holy s*** man! It is so much water... Our weather last days is nothing compared to your pics, so I have no worries already. Still wondering about buds (flowers)...my plants are 3 to 5 feet high but I am afraid they wont grow anymore after me topping them. I ve read here at HTGT that after topping plants wont grow anymore so where is the truth? I plan keeping just a few plants for seeds, every other plant will be used for making cigarettes, so my target is the biggest yeld possible and the best quality possible for sure.

I am going out to take some pics of my veggies so you can look at them. If you could identify the strain further I would be happy, a Virginia is everything I know about them, a seller told me it is supposed to be VP-9 but not even google can provide further information.

Thank you,

Jacob by the way :)

edit: after the plants germinated I was afraid of it being a radish :D it looks very simillar.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:49 am 

So here are pics, please have a look on them... as you can see I topped 2 of them. Please give me an advice about previous question about topping. Thanks

Last edited by gargynko on Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:21 am 

I don't top mine until the flowers start to bloom. Usually topping is done when 50% of the crop is in bloom and about 2-3 weeks before harvest. They still grow quite a bit more after the buds first appear and topping early will cause the suckers to grow faster. Be sure to bag any plants you want to save seed from before the flowers open.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:55 am 

gargynko wrote:
So here are pics, please have a look on them... as you can see I topped 2 of them. Please give me an advice about previous question about topping. Thanks

Image Image Image Image

Quote:
Virginia is everything I know about them, a seller told me it is supposed to be VP-9 but not even google can provide further information.

Could you identify a strain??

Last edited by gargynko on Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.