How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time grow help
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:51 am 

Hi all,
I'm new to the tobacco growing world. I sold tobacco in a retail setting for a few years and have experience growing many other plants. I decided to get in on the tobacco grow a little late this year as I am trying to do an outdoor grow in central Montana. I can grow tomatoes successfully here and can get over 110 days growing here. Our soil is mildly basic as it is calcium rich.

I can manage most of those things. I am struggling with what to me seems like a very basic task... Germination... I starred two strains of seeds... One Sucker and Connecticut Broadleaf.... I "planted" them on May 20th... I sprinkled the seeds on glacier gold organic potting mix. Watered the seeds in and maintained moisture until they sprouted... The One Sucker seed sprouted first. About two weeks later the CBL followed. I have been very careful to let the seedlings dry out before i add more water.

What I'm very perplexed by is that they haven't grown hardly at all. I have them inside still in a sunny window. As an experiment I placed some seed in a miracle grow medium outside under a cold frame... The outdoor seedlings sprouted quicker but have stalled at the same point....

Our water here is very basic... Our pH is 7.6 + depending on the season.

I'll upload some pics shortly.

Is this normal for baccy?

Thanks!!!

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by mountbaldy on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: First time grow help
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:21 am 

Wow, that all sounds just a bit alkaline for nightshade plants. But, if your tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and potatoes can do it, so can tobacco.

I personally, think that tobacco is a water hog! I set my seedlings over a container of water and let them drink till their hearts content. I know folks have trouble with mold etc from too much moisture... I find the opposite. One hour dry and they do nothing at all or die.

Try watering half of them more often... perhaps some in a different container.
That was a very long germination usual is 3 days. But they will continue for a month.
They do pop up and then just do nothing for a couple weeks, kind of normal to me. Then, lightly, very lightly add some fertilizer to your water...

That should get them started... it is slow going until they get those first sets of leaves, then "look out" they take off.

Be patient, but give them more water. I don't let mine dry out at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:08 pm 

+1

Everything OL said...

Keep a steady hand at the tiller! Seems to me you are on a good course.
Best
rc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:57 pm 

Thanks for the advice!

I set them on some water and put em in a bit sunnier spot. They should do well here.

I read about a guy a tad further East in Montana that did very well with them. We grow the majority of Idaho's seed potatoes here. As a mater of fact this county has quite a few ranches in taters so the alkaline in our soil shouldn't make a heck of a lot of difference. I just didn't know how the pH in our tap water will influence them. That said, it sounds like H2O is the main thing. :) Should have listened to the wife sooner! Lmao!

I'll keep everyone updated on their progress!

Thanks again!

Cheers!!

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:46 pm 

Patience Daniel-son, patience. :wink:

Those are looking good to me. They do really take their sweet time to get past the seedling stage.