How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wind
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:24 am 

Hi,

I just started transplanting outdoor on my field and we experienced strong wind and rain yesterday. I was checking my plants this morning and lot of them are damaged...torn or pierced leaves.

Plants are transplanted just few days so my question is...will they recover from the damage??

Post subject: Re: Wind
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:45 am 

Without seeing them it is hard to say.

When I was transplanting one into the garden, a few years ago, I broke the stem on one (not all the way off) carrying it out there. I still dug a hole, planted it, and then I laid the top down basically in place, and covered the break with dirt. I was hoping that it wouldn't dry out.
It grew, and then it grew... I ended up with two plants connected by a small stem.

And I have had healthy looking plants get a slight sunscald and just die.

I think there is a chance for your plants to make it.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:41 am 

I think they will recover from the damaged leaves. They are really tough plants.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:38 am 

So guys almost every plant did it and is healthy growing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:57 am 

They have amazing powers of recovery!
:-)
rc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:45 am 

Yeah I ve been really sad that days...I am going post some images...chceck the defect photos of some plants and indetify please source of troubles...

Image Image Image Image

Is this an adequate growth for this date?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:02 pm 

G, get a 2nd opinion on anything I say...

It seems to me you are dry farming.
All well and good, but watering does a number of things for the plant, including lending mobility to the minerals in the soil.
It does seem your soil is a bit coarse.

Spot watering could help, especially at this young stage in their growth.

Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:55 pm 

When rain is scarce and when watering is expensive...

Or when you just want to conserve moisture and keep the roots of plants cool, mulch... mulch with leaves, grass clippings, even newspapers... it will make a difference in your plants. If you are mechanically tilling etc... keep the mulch up close to the plant and out of your way... Only downside.. slugs love mulch.

They do need a bit of watering when they are looking tired. Also when did you last fertilize them? Did you water it in? Even manure does nothing until it is watered in. I think a bit of weak fertilizer, more water for the next few weeks, and you will have an awesome tobacco patch!

It looks a lot better than mine already, with a bit of tweaking, you can really show us how to do it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:48 am 

Thanks to both of you guys for your hints! I am watering my plants every other day last days. (Maybe every third day). There was really hot week.

I last fertilized them when they were at their pots on my window parapet :-/. I was afraid of overfertilizing em. I also applied N-P-K fertilize into soil before planting. Do you think I should fertilize them a bit?

I though that tobacco likes dryier soil rather than wet. How often should I apply watering? I live near a river so I have unlimited acces to source of water.

Thank you once again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:28 am 

G, I have no idea what the weather is like in Slovakia.

Here, it is hot and dry.
I can not walk in my garden barefooted. The ground is too hot after mid-day.

Here, 1 -2 liters of water per plant per day and skip a day sometimes when it's cooler.

Yes, tobacco grows well in dry soil, but responds well with sufficient water. It does best when the roots get an opportunity to dry out a little. If grown where soil is too wet, the bacterial problems are prone to occur.

I use no chemical fertilizers and always seem to have decent sized leaf.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:59 am 

I also either water the tobacco or I lose the tobacco. This year it has rained daily with maybe a day thrown in that it didn't rain, no detriment to my tobacco.

I do fertilize my tobacco until it is about waist high on me. And I water it, until I am down to about a month to 6 weeks before I want to harvest it... then it is on its own. I just keep the bugs picked off and the heads bagged. If it doesn't start... looking like death, sometimes we stress the plant by twisting the stalks to induce it to go yellow and start getting ready to die for winter.

I fertilize with: either or all... rabbit manure, goat manure, chicken manure, I also side dress with fish emulsion granules... my soil is just so bad (wasteland plants grow here great!) that I have to do something.

It is up to you, but, I would rather pamper my tobacco and get huge plants... lots of tobacco... than put in the effort and get spindly little guys that just don't amount to a lot of leaf. Again, I don't have the type of soil that can support some plants- only the ones that grow on really bad soil can grow here without help.

Pretend that they are your best tomatoes... and take care of them in that way, except a lot less fertilizer!
Only use about 1/3 as much as you would for fruiting plants.