How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What size pots for an outdoor grow?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:26 pm 

I have grown baccy in the past in the ground on my own property. I'm renting now and the land lord would be really upset if I started digging up the yard. Will 5 gallon buckets work or am I better off with a 7 or 10 gallon pot? I don't want my plants to become root bound and have stunted growth. I'm looking to plant 75 plants in buckets or pots and I'm think of keeping a few selected plants over the winter and building an indoor grow room in the basement. I don't want to buy 75 buckets or pots and regret it. So if anyone has experience with this I would love to hear your thoughts!

Post subject: Re: What size pots for an outdoor grow?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 am 

It definitely does better in the ground. I always end up with loads of plants in buckets as well - I won't throw away surplus seedlings.

The bigger the container the bigger plant will grow, but they do OK in 5gall buckets. Certainly better than no plants isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:48 pm 

oldhag wrote:
It definitely does better in the ground. I always end up with loads of plants in buckets as well - I won't throw away surplus seedlings.

The bigger the container the bigger plant will grow, but they do OK in 5gall buckets. Certainly better than no plants isn't it?

Yes, some are better then none. I think I will error on the side of caution and use 10 gallon pots, more expensive but if it means healthier plants and higher yield the extra cost can be justified as I will be reusing the pots year to year. Thanks for your reply.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:44 pm 

I did forty; five gallon bucket plants last year and all reached 5 to 6 feet tall, none of these were root bound. The only benefit in a bigger pot would seem to me to be the frequency of watering.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:45 pm 

butwiper wrote:
I did forty; five gallon bucket plants last year and all reached 5 to 6 feet tall, none of these were root bound. The only benefit in a bigger pot would seem to me to be the frequency of watering.

Interesting, I'm originally from N.C. What are you using for soil and fertilizer? I'm very interested in knowing what type of fertilizer to use in a bucket so I don't burn them, which could be an easy thing to do in a bucket.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:06 pm 

5 gallons ought to do. If you're worried about burning plants get rabbit manure. Usually you can find it for free on Craigslist if you shovel it. Even if there is no one selling it, you can find people who raise rabbits who probably need to get rid of it and you can try contacting them to see if they're willing to let you have it if you shovel it. Rabbit manure is not hot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 pm 

[quote][/quote]Interesting, I'm originally from N.C. What are you using for soil and fertilizer? I'm very interested in knowing what type of fertilizer to use in a bucket so I don't burn them, which could be an easy thing to do in a bucket.

The soil here is red clay and very sticky. I do 6 to 4 red clay soil, two sand, and two woodland humus. Potassium nitrate as needed. The green house grade is water soluble. A table spoon per gallon of water per 10 buckets every two or three weeks is plenty. Make adjustments as needed!