How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roots and soil compaction.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:03 am 

I just read an article that I immediately thought about Rusty and his root studies. Also about Hunting Hawk and his soil in buckets and roots. Then I realized that it covers a lot of things, like low potassium and low nitrogen both of which I see posts here often. First I was thinking large farmers , Then realized it is same as one plant in one bucket just for seeds. Hope it helps a lot of us.
http://southeastfarmpress.com/tobacco/u ... eld?page=1 Lee

Post subject: Re: Roots and soil compaction.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:30 am 

Thanks, Lee.

I shall read that link well !

For a while now, I've considered what I am doing out there is basically pulverizing the heck out of the dirt, which is only gonna make my situation worse.

Wish I had the resources to actually put a plan into action, and follow it through...
rc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:07 am 

As time goes by I give this subject even more consideration.
I would really like the capability to use a moldboard plow, but the problem is lack of a machine with sufficient horsepower and ability to pull it. Even a second-hand kubota 4x4 commonly sells for $5k+ round here. Some old tractors may be cheaper, but they are always too large for garden use.
I still have the lawn tractor project to work on, but I don't think they will have sufficient traction, or horsepower to accomplish the task of plowing.
The Berta rotary plow I've put up pics of elsewhere would most likely just pulverize the heck out of the soil, pretty much the same as the rototiller does.
Anyone got thoughts on this???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:03 pm 

I have my ground turned over with the moldboard plow. But I don't own one so I hire it done. I don't have it done every season. I am moving in the no-till direction to minimize heavy equipment on the soil. In subsequent years a person can use manual tools such as a broad fork. A more long term solution that I am pursuing is:
1) cover crops. There are some annual grasses that put down deep roots. After they have their day in the sun, the above ground gets chopped and laid down right there. and the roots rot in the ground to help aerate and add organic matter.
2) red worms. if they are fed kitchen scraps, plant waste and animal manure they will break these things down and enrich and aerate the soil.
3) chickens. judiciously rotating a small flock of hens throughout the garden is beneficial to the soil. Plus they will produce eggs for your kitchen.

There are some logistics involved in all this of course, like anything. It's a bit of a lifestyle in that it takes a few seasons to bring it all together and see results. Patience Grasshopper. Certainly the cover crops is a good place to start. If that's all you did, you will be helping. Rotate the garden around if you can. Sow them in any unused areas and in the off season. Rye, wheat and buckwheat are 3 that come to mind. I personally have not gotten to the growing red worms yet.
Anyway, just a couple thoughts. I hope you find a solution you can work with,

Mick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:31 pm 

Good ideas, Mick.
I think my best chance for action will be if I can find some free horse manure... and someone with a tractor that will load my truck when I pick it up. :-)
rc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 pm 

RC, thats exactly what i will be putting down. I have access to a big pile. The ownets of a bunch of horses have been piling it all in one spot for years. They quit adding yo it 2 years ago. Brought home about 100lbs of the stuff alresdy. Gonna get lots more. It seems more like potting soil than dung. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:04 pm 

Good deal, Mick!

I could use about 6 pickup truck loads to cover my garden area about an inch deep, then turn it under...
There's plenty of horses around here... and I would need to spread it by hand, because of my garden location... I just don't want to load it in my truck by hand! Too much work.
rc