How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zero nicotine
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:29 pm 

So I have planted the first 30 of all my 120 plants at May 31, and try smoke some leaves from Catterton, Virginia, Costello at July 30, feels zero nicotine again. It was before blooming and topping, I was able to start topping a week later. 30th July, it was there +26C, and all previous week was above 23C during the day with minor rain one day. Also here was the dew on the leaves every morning. The question is whether these small rainfall washed nicotine or nicotine does not produce in sufficient quantities before topping, or maybe tobacco need warmer conditions? I read here that a lot of people from UK successfully grown tobacco, where the weather is similar. Now again, here is average +20 C and does not look that will be particularly warmer. Sorry for my bad English.

Post subject: Re: Zero nicotine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:51 pm 

juris, possibly not warm enough, for a long enough time.
Leaf may not be mature. Are they sticky with resin???
Virginia tobacco is generally low nic and mild flavor. Grow some burley!
Rain should not diminish nic content of a growing leaf.
When switching from commercial tobacco to homegrown it is best to use your homegrown blended with what you normally smoke. Increase percentage as you are able...
I still use some commercial in my blend.
Best
rc

Last edited by rustycase on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:30 am 

This is how I found it to begin with. I suppose you just need to get used to it. We don't get much warm weather here in the UK, never any hot! I now prefer my home grown to bought ciggies or bought tobacco. I've tried all the brands and get no more of a kick from any of them.

I do like the e-cigs pen style though. I use 24g strength. I only use these when I'm in no-smoking places as it's cheaper to smoke my home grown. I do add Rustica to my mix. Not much, but it strengthens it a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 am 

Juris have you tryed raised hills and black plastic as a ground cover? baccy seems to like soil temps of 70f+ to grow decent in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:02 am 

yes its sticky all bugs an bees dies who touchs my leaves. i dont know why i feel nothing. sorry al jou jankees enjoy jour goverment Snouden and meanng conclusion? i m something intrested in politics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:38 pm 

Have your soil tested. Increasing your Nitrogen level will help to increase your Nicotine level. Nicotine rises significantly after topping.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:18 am 

sorry for my last reply, i was just drunken with apple and plum wine (yeast was lalvin 1118) and start talk abaut politics and Syria war :) This is a very rich year with all sorts of fruits, so I have not much free time for tobaccoo. Anyway In every case, I made something similar Greenhouse on my tobacco plants, it consumed my last 2 weeks. when I finished the autumn starts, without the sun, temp abut 15C for last 4 days and rains and rains. I think I m total looser, i m trying to grow tobacco for 3 years and so far no results and no nicotine :(.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 am 

juris0004 wrote:
So I have planted the first 30 of all my 120 plants at May 31, and try smoke some leaves from Catterton, Virginia, Costello at July 30, feels zero nicotine again. It was before blooming and topping, I was able to start topping a week later. 30th July, it was there +26C, and all previous week was above 23C during the day with minor rain one day. Also here was the dew on the leaves every morning. The question is whether these small rainfall washed nicotine or nicotine does not produce in sufficient quantities before topping, or maybe tobacco need warmer conditions? I read here that a lot of people from UK successfully grown tobacco, where the weather is similar. Now again, here is average +20 C and does not look that will be particularly warmer. Sorry for my bad English.

Hi
Seems like a short time May 31- July 30 then topping week later? Then using it on or before Aug 16?When did it ripen? When did it cure? When did it age?
post made some time ago talking about early blooming Look at times.

bob_kemp
Post subject: Re: Germination to flower buds in 5 weeks !New postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:23 am

Hi, I simply remembered running across that 3-1/2 month to harvest from seed figure for rustica and it stuck in my mind. I also have a rough figure of 5-1/2 months growing for domestic tobacco. These are general rules and each variety has slightly different times to mature which are available in university production guides for most commercial varieties.

I found many links searching for rustica days to harvest/maturity that talked about 80-110 days to harvest. Some may not include the time to make the transplant.

"I got full crops of rustica with a growing time of 90 days."
http://tribes.tribe.net/warriortreeworl ... bc93fe5d73

"Organic Hopi Ceremonial Tobacco – 100 Seeds – Annual"
"Days to maturity: 80-85"
http://gardening-organically.info/tag/leaves/

Of course there's also references to growing times of rustica in this forum and in coffinails. I suspect that rustica is also like other tobacco, it's ready to harvest before it's stopped blooming, so these times are probably 4-5 weeks after bloom initiation too and the plant would keep blooming for another month or so after that if you didn't harvest.

I also found refs where some left it in the field until well after blooming stopped, September time frame, which doesn't mean it wasn't ready to harvest before, just that they let it more or less cure on the stalk in the field.

You know those wacky Injuns.

Bob

ps. please don't complain to the management if you are a wacky Injun, I'm part wacky Injun myself...

2 Months ?

Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:15 am 

Hello Again.
This is my fourth tobacco growing attempt. The last 3 years I did not feel nicotine. All months of work was just to production of tobacco compost :( Last year I exclude my version, that the rain rinsed out the nicotine.
This year, I built something like a greenhouse from the junk materials, on already growing plants. Plastic film there was new, 150nm, UV stabilized. I finished my "greenhouse" on 8th July. Most of the seedlings were planted in the field in May 15-30. The first plants I have topped was Orinoco and Costello, about 10 days ago. Yesterday I dried to smoke some of the upper leaves (which have the highest nicotine) . But again I did not feel nicotine hit, immediately after my tobacco I try to smoke industrial cigarette and could feel the surge of euphoria, so if I feel that big difference, I conclude that my tobacco does not contain significant amounts of nicotine.
It shows 35-43 C in the greenhouse when the sun is shining and it is open 2 holes to prevent water condensation on the plastic film. When I closed all the holes I got 43C-55C, but in that case the water drips like rain, so I m keeping My "greenhouse" holes open. So the temperature is not a problem anymore.
-------
I have 2 questions. Does UV rays transmit through plastic film ? Does the lack of UV rays could be critical to the formation of nicotine? If so, then I would have to remove the film at warm days and put back at nights and when rains and are cold. But it is a big job to pull out hundreds of nails and knock back . Now, outside is +27 C and weather forecasters promises another week of warm weather. but before that big job I would like to be assured that the film really does block the UV and thats critical for nicotine synthesis in roots?
-
One man told me that it is possible for a little nitrogen. In one corner of the greenhouse I made experiment of overdosing 2 and 3 times various nitrogen, pottasium forms - complex , ammonium nitrate, urea, calcium nitrate, mown grass for aeration + compost.
-
The second question. Is it necessary topping Aztec Rustica to increase nicotine content? I heard that others do not.. I can not find step-by-step description how to grow and process Rusticas (Collect leaves or stalk, Green or yellow, How much weeks after topping or not topping). The Aztec flowers are so bushy - Are the flowers contain significant amounts of nicotine? Aztec blossoms make much % of green mass, pity to throw it out. In any case, I do not seem high hopes for the Aztec. I think with about 40 of my Aztec Rustica plants I have enough smoke for a 2 months, but not for 1 year. Its just for backup plan, if I lost my main crop from "greenhouse'".
Again ,sorry for my bad English.
-

Sorry I m just experimenting on how to insert picture here. Its 3 day old pictures, at that moment practical all of plants are topped. Except I don't know what to do with Aztec topping.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:19 pm 

Rustica has a lot of nicotine in it. Other ways to increase nicotine are to add a nitrogen fertilizer to your soil and to top your plants. You could also plant tobacco that is naturally high in nicotine such as the Rustica you have growing now or a Burley or Dark Air variety.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:23 pm 

If you wanted to boost nitrogen levels I would suggest Botanicare CalMag Plus 2-0-0. Can be used for an awesome foliar spray as well!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:45 pm 

Smoking homegrown did not satisfy me at all. Come to find out it is the additives that I am addicted to and not the nicotine at all. Mixing helps until you get weaned off of all the toxic chemicals added to tobacco.

I can't imagine tobacco plants without enough nicotine to cause nicotine poisoning if they are not carefully handled.

I don't know how to tell you to test... is it the nicotine that you are missing in your smokes or is it the additives?

Once the tobacco plants get sticky, just picking hornworms off of them, and I am nauseous unless I wear gloves from the high nicotine in the tobacco.

I haven't noticed a difference in the type of tobacco, but I do raise a lot of burley.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:59 am 

hi
use a little of the leaf to make a bug killer. If it kills the bugs it has nicotine in it . simple. the amount is probably higher than you think.
lee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:01 am 

A nicotine spray will not kill any tobacco specific bugs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 am 

right jitter . but he was just looking for nicotine it will kill other bugs an tell if there is any in his plants