How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using coffee grounds or vinegar to raise Ph
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:18 pm 

I was just told that I can use coffee grounds, tea, and vinegar to raise Ph.

Anyone try this?

Post subject: Re: Using coffee grounds or vinegar to raise Ph
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:42 pm 

I use every bit of household waste I can, in the garden.
Food scraps, yard waste, bbq ashes, junk mail, old newspapers, tax forms... :-) everything except fat & grease and citrus.

I put nothing directly on the plants, though... everything goes into trenches along the perimeter, or in the aisles in the garden.

My soil noticeably improved from last year.

PH has always been right at about 7, by the cheapo tester I have.

Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:09 am 

anything alkaline will raise ph , anything acidic usually lowers ph , vinegar is acidic so will lower ph , dolomite/lime raises soil ph .
or you could always ph a tank of water, after letting it stand open 24hrs to rid the excess chlorine, ph it with a metre ( phosphoric/nitric acid for down and hydrogen peroxide for up - 7 being nether acidic or alkaline) then you have a slight influence on ph without disturbing any rootstock .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:23 am 

Why do you want to mess around with your pH? Did you get a soil analysis? That's the only way to do it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:42 am 

[quote="A1audi"]anything alkaline will raise ph , anything acidic usually lowers ph , vinegar is acidic so will lower ph , dolomite/lime raises soil ph .

yes and this is Florida. we have salty air.. the salt settles in soil. so need to lower salt ( alkaline) everything acidic helps . but nothing lasts long . I have put all the compost coffe grounds And cow chips from next door , on this spot for 10 years . Every year it still regesters 9. But I guess it helps for little while . Tomattos do good just after adding compost . 6 onths later It is back to 9 and tomattos start dying. I raise most things in pots now. Lesson learned.
Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:28 am 

ahhhh that explains it :wink: , i know its a distant thought but have you tried planting conifers around your perimeter as a starter smbdyiam ?
i know sulphur of potash & super phosphate can lower ph , your on the right track with moss/peat/manures
but will need to constantly add matter year after year and not so much chems , its a little like trying to make a football pitch sized piece of the sea less salty than the rest unfortunately .
constant works the only way forward i can see :shock: .
you can do it , it is do'able as did rolf at jamestown lol , A1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 pm 

A1audi wrote:
anything alkaline will raise ph , anything acidic usually lowers ph , vinegar is acidic so will lower ph , dolomite/lime raises soil ph .
or you could always ph a tank of water, after letting it stand open 24hrs to rid the excess chlorine, ph it with a metre ( phosphoric/nitric acid for down and hydrogen peroxide for up - 7 being nether acidic or alkaline) then you have a slight influence on ph without disturbing any rootstock .

Thank you for the clarification.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 pm 

Jitterbugdude wrote:
Why do you want to mess around with your pH? Did you get a soil analysis? That's the only way to do it!

Simply asking, and I would not dare mess with Ph without first knowing the Ph beforehand. That right there would get the veterans on this board to come down hard on someone :D .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:40 pm 

smbdyiam wrote:
Lesson learned.
Lee

Ya got me thinking... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5853

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:02 am 

[quote="A1audi"]ahhhh that explains it :wink: , i know its a distant thought but have you tried planting conifers around your perimeter as a starter smbdyiam ?
i know sulphur of potash & super phosphate can lower ph , your on the right track with moss/peat/manures
but will need to constantly add matter year after year and not so much chems ,

When I bought this place it had Pines ,with 20" diamitator trunks about 6 feet apart all across front except for drive way. I lived here 2 years and all started to die. dropping limbs on street. I don't know why any one would plant a tree 8 feet from road. Also one giant of an Elephant tree, Close to house. The elephant tree drop limb fell on chimney and cracked the flue liner all the way to fire box. I had tree trimer cut out all the pines by road and elephant tree. cost $3500. I still have over 100 trees including my citrus trees, in the back away from road and house. I have'nt used chems on this place . Ever. 10 years.
I still grow a little but just in pots . less pots less labor. Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:20 am 

Lee, thats a lot of trees , they must have tried the same trick , at some point the previous owners must have added a lot of material to the soil to last as long as it did ,
i'd probably go with pots or completely raised beds maybe ? , source some ingredients for some super soil (a guy called subcool has a recipe on YT) + a big reservoir of ph'd water set @ 5.5 ( my tobacco loved it ) canna sell some good nutrients and amendments ( rhitzotonic/cannazyme )
its a bit of a nightmare Lee , i'm sure you'll get past it :wink: A1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:36 am 

Lee obviously you have a grasp on the ph of your soil for it to read 9 ? so you have some idea of the problem ,

[quote="FALaholic"]I was just told that I can use coffee grounds, tea, and vinegar to raise Ph

that will lower ph which is whats needed :lol: , A1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:10 am 

Yes it is lots of trees . But ones on back are native wild . live oak, hickory, persimmon, sweet gum , white oak,red oak , and others 17 citrus ( orange , grapefruit ) It is one acre. used to try to garden some of it now just pots. Have a 16' x 24' green house way back. but don't use it now to much work. 72 racing for 73 now. Straight vinegar out of bottles will kill all kinds of plants. have to dilute it . we compost all we can and have wood mulch hauled in every year spread over parts of back. helps grass. Anything I can Mow with mower and is green is grass. A few pots is enough now. Lee

need to be careful with too much vinegar same with sulfur read some of Bob Kemps posts on sulfur. lee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:43 am 

i see where your coming from Lee , personally i wouldn't use acetic acid i'd opt for nitric / phosphoric added to water ( phosphoric acids in coke )
depending on season spring-early summer nitric acid ( nitrogen rich ) adjusted water then late summer-fall phosphoric acid ( phosphorus rich ) adjusted water . ph'd around 5.5-5.8 works well .
i've used hydroponics since 1992 , and to my recollection we never would , and never have used acetic acid in my 21 yrs of hydro - ever lol .
if i can grow in perlite or rockwool with nutrient solutions then anythings possible Lee :o , A1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:31 am 

I have Not done so...
and I really should...

IMO, everyone, with more than a passing interest in gardening, should strongly consider collecting samples properly and having a soil test done by a real laboratory.

...We are talking significant return for investment, with almost all gardening ventures, these days!

Best
rc