How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tobacco Flowers for Ornimental Reasons
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:53 pm 

Sky, I can not find a picture or listing for <Alata's> or <Alata>...
Are the directions written on the heel ?
It would be fun for me to grow some ornamentals out in front!
rc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:40 pm 

N. Alata is a species of Nicotiana like N Rustica or N. Tobaccum. Jasmine and Affinis are varieties of N. Alata. There are a few others too. We grew one called Crimson King a few years back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotiana_alata

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:45 pm 

Tnx Sky!

I'll need to try some of your affinis when the season begins.
It really does have a pronounced, and pretty flower. I like it better than the alata.
...will be good for added entertainment value around here.
:-)
rc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 pm 

Sky, Thx for the additional info. I got many of my seeds from an heirloom seed company because they said N. Alata has now been highly hybridized to produce ornamental flowers in various colours on plants that bloom all summer, but that the hybridization has also removed much of the scent that the original non-hybrid N. Alata (jasmine) was so famous for with it's highly-scented white flowers. Their description of N. Sylvestris led me to believe it was basically a taller plant than N. Alata (5' vs 3-4'), but that it also was also a highly-scented night-bloomer. That's different than your description of it being mainly spectacular for its flowers but doesn't have a lot of scent. Hopefully I can successfully grow these this year, and chime back in with my own personal experience with these species.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:41 am 

Here's the original non-hybrid Nicotiana alata, or jasmine tobacco. I've crammed it into a 3" pot to try to stunt it's growth for under my grow lights, with only limited success. It grows like a rocket, this is about 8.5 weeks from seeding in my cool winter basement. When the first flower opened on Friday afternoon (1.5 days ago), I was originally bummed because it seemed to have no scent whatsoever. Kept reading that it pumped out the scent after sunset, though I could already see mature anthers and stamens in the flower in the afternoon. Around 9 or 10 p.m., the flowers began to push out amazing scent, which lasted all night. The next day (tonight), there are two blossoms (the 3rd flower isn't yet scented but will be tomorrow), and they have flooded 3 rooms in my house with wonderful heady scent. Going to be finding a spot for this in the flower garden this summer...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:17 am 

Just a better pic I think. 9.5 weeks. Nicotiana alata. 2.5 feet (75 cm) tall, grown indoors in a 3" pot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:03 am 

Outdoors things get a lot more impressive. N. Alata flowers for months and has a great night-scent and fits in with typical flowers size-wise and such, about 2.5 feet tall. This is 4 plants:

N. sylvestris is a very showy garden flower but it needs space, and it gets 5 feet tall or more. Although the flowers have a nice scent the leaves are kind of sticky and stinky, so it's best planted somewhere where it can do its showy flower-thing without getting in the way, the back of a tall border instead of in the middle of a vegetable garden like here. This is just two plants:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:47 am 

Great flower pics, Don !
With a pic like that, I bet you could sell a bunch of em at a swapmeet.
4" pot size transplants.
Way back 10 years ago I bought a couple at a cigarette store, $5 each.
Un-named, they were some sort of burley and after stalk curing they were strong enough to take the hair off a cat!
lol
rc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:10 am 

To follow up 7 months later on this N. sylvestris grow... the plants in the Fall of 2015 produced a phenomenal amount of seed. I saved a bunch of seed for 2016, but I suspect the plants self-seeded heavily and will produce lots of volunteer plants in my garden this Spring, without me having to plant anything.

Last autumn I saved some of the leaves that appeared to naturally mature/die off late in the season. These were the lower leaves of the plants, as leaves higher up on the plants were still bright green when our killing frost came in early October.

After a half-year or so of curing/drying the lower leaves that had colored up and that I rescued before the first killing frost, I cut and smoked some pipe-style while on a late winter ice-fishing trip in March of this year. The smoke was pleasant and mild but the nicotine level was zero as best I could tell. Could be my grow situation, but to have a zero nic-buzz after not smoking anything for at least 5 years, means Sylvestris had zero-nicotine. At least that's the way I see it.