How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsun Tobacco- Anything Special?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 pm 

Hey Y'all,

I'm growing some Samsun tobacco this year and I'd like to know if I need to do anything different or special with it to get healthy plants? I've only grown the V.B.L. in the past so I'm limited about what I know about other tobacco.

I no this isn't the harvesting forum but I need information about harvesting Samsun as well.

Post subject: Re: Samsun Tobacco- Anything Special?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:47 pm 

It grows like regular tobacco. The plants are small so you can space them a little closer than normal. There are quite a few varieties of Samsum tobacco, any idea what kind you have?

Randy B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:34 pm 

Samsun, as with many Turkish varieties, is columnar, and so requires less ground area to grow. They can, however, reach 6 or more feet in height. Last season, my Samsun (which originated from New Hope Seed) was growing in about 2.5 sq. ft. per plant. They averaged 72 inches to the crowsfoot, with 28 leaves. Leaf size was 19"L x 15"W.

I should add that many of the "varieties" of Samsun are fanciful names for the same variety. Samsun-Maden is definitely distinct from Samsun, but "Black Sea Samsun" is simply Samsun that was grown in its traditional location. The city of Samsun is on the Black Sea coast. Bafra, which appears similar to Samsun, does have subtle differences, even though the town of Bafra might be considered a suburb of the city of Samsun. Some of the various names for Samsun were taken from the notation in the original ARS-GRIN accession data, while some have been invented by a number of vendors.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:19 pm 

Something interesting that happened to me this year with my Samsun plants. They flowered much too early, so they were topped at only about 2 feet tall. The result was plants with 2-4 main stalks. The dual stalked plants reached the same height and girth as the single stalk plants, effectively doubling my harvest weight per plant. Several of them have reached over 8 feet tall with the base of the stalk almost as big as my wrist. Just an interesting note that may be useful for smallish varieties like Turkish. Next year, top a couple plants early. You will see what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:08 am 

Hanzy, Where did you get your seed? I've been growing Samsun for about 5 years now and have never seen one 8ft tall. I've grown them at 3 feet apart and at 8 inches apart. I've topped them and not topped them. I'm thinking you might have some cross pollinated seed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:10 pm 

Bob, Shihan has said he has a strong preference for the Samsun-Maden strain.
I will ask him for some of his seed.

Do you have a preference in the Samsun strains?

Bursa is the only Turk I've grown, and I do like it, for ciggies.

Thank you,
rc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:24 pm 

My samsun Is approaching 6' to 7'. And from Shihan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:37 pm 

Ooh! I'd like to see that!

Got a pic for us?

:-)
rc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:54 pm 

Pics will be posted in the next day or so! As it is tough to hold a measure and take a photo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:26 pm 

butwiper wrote:
Pics will be posted in the next day or so! As it is tough to hold a measure and take a photo.

Sounds like you need to draft a press gang...

or get a helper!

:-)
rc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 pm 

hanzy4200 wrote:
Something interesting that happened to me this year with my Samsun plants. They flowered much too early, so they were topped at only about 2 feet tall. The result was plants with 2-4 main stalks. The dual stalked plants reached the same height and girth as the single stalk plants, effectively doubling my harvest weight per plant. Several of them have reached over 8 feet tall with the base of the stalk almost as big as my wrist. Just an interesting note that may be useful for smallish varieties like Turkish. Next year, top a couple plants early. You will see what I mean.

I've seen plants do that many times when they bloom prematurely. I have quite a few types that did it this year. When they figure out summer isn't ending just yet, they take off and grow again. I top them and let one sucker below the crows foot grow and they usually reach full height and yields. Letting more than one sucker grow may increase the overall yield in some cases, but the leaves are generally smaller. If you don't mind stringing more leaves, then go for it. :D

I've grown Samsun 4 times now and never had them get much over 6'. Maybe 7' if you count to the top of the flower head. I did finally get a variegated one this year from seed I got from Madhousebill. It's a pretty cool looking plant.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:56 am 

Yes I need a helper!