How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tobacco in Northeast Ohio - My 2010 crop
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 pm 

Current state of my 2010 crop planted June 1st thru June 14th. Plants along the driveway were planted starting with those farthest from the garage. The ones next to the front porch were planted after the ones by the driveway. The white on the driveway is rotenone I spread to deal with a migrating ant colony.

135 plants by the driveway. This area is a bit over 8' wide by 50' long (about 420 sq ft). Monday's heavy rain took it's toll and many were lying on the ground. I re-mounded and packed soil around them and they're recovering nicely.

MD10
Ottoman
MD40
Erzegovina Lecce
Tekne
Celikhan
Balikesir
Haskowo
Virginia Bright Leaf
White Gold
Mammoth Gold
Huge Leaf
Cherry Red
MD402 at end of several rows

24 plants by the front porch
I lost one to the rain - the stalk snapped just above ground level.

Baiano
Perique (Louisiana seed)

Last edited by tekwyzrd on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tobacco in Northeast Ohio - My 2010 crop
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 pm 

tekwyzrd

Glad to see the baccy in NE Ohio is growing good !! Looks great dude and a great way to utilize the available space you have .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:36 pm 

Looks good.

As far as ant go...I've had what the wife calls a "sugar ant" problem. Tried baits, sprays, powder and nothing stopped these SOB's. Then I tried:

http://www.amazon.com/Enforcer-Products ... B000BO994S

this stuff but I got it from a local farm store for about the same price. It contains Abmectin and in child proof little plastic cans that you can see into. I put one box (6) of these throughout the house where I saw them. Within three days, they were gone, AND still gone after 3 years. I had bought two boxes, so I put the other six outdoors around the house and it killed every nearby colony. Protection didn't last 3 years outside though. I was amazed. The ants eat the stuff and take it back to the queen. Queen dead, ants dead, colony dead.

Period.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:48 pm 

Thanks, Lonnie! The best part is the fact it exceeds the standards to be considered organic. I used a bit of brassinolide and gibberellic acid when sowing the seeds but after that I amended the soil with compost of chemical free grass clippings and fed the plants organic fertilizer, organic bone meal, and a bit of wood ash. I'm using a variety of essential oils for insect control. One plant has some aphids but other than that the only pest I've seen was a copper colored june beetle. The multitude of sparrows are very helpful when it comes to controlling insects but their claws cause a bit of damage to the leaves. I'm expecting a pint of certified organic filtered neem oil (insect control) and 12 oz of certified organic soybean oil (sucker control) to be delivered at the end of the week. By the end of next week I'll have a new pump sprayer and 32oz of serenade concentrate. Then I'll spray the mid-ribs of the tobacco from last year that's still hanging in the barn (half of last year's crop - enough for about an 18 month supply of cigarettes) and box it up. If all goes well, with this crop I'll have enough tobacco to last me over 4 years (5 years if I'm frugal). :mrgreen:

Last edited by tekwyzrd on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:54 pm 

@SC Yankee

I'll look for them locally. I tried other ant products but nothing had any long term effect. This is the third time this year that colony tried to cross the driveway at that point. I'd estimate we got over 2 inches of rain on monday night or tuesday morning so I suspect the ants were flooded out and looking for a drier place to make their home. The other attempted migrations also occurred after heavy rains.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:00 pm 

You'll be amazed. Ants LOVE the stuff. There'll be a heard of the things constantly feeding from them until they're empty. Just keep replacing the empties and you'll get them all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:05 pm 

Good crop! And decorative at the same time. Very impressed! What a neat way of doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 pm 

DaveT wrote:
Good crop! And decorative at the same time. Very impressed! What a neat way of doing it.

Thanks! The only thing more satisfying than someone commenting that it looks good is the reaction I get when someone smokes a cigarette of my home grown tobacco. When I give one of my smokes to someone they always ask if I'll make them a carton or tell me I should go into business selling them. One individual from the neighborhood offered me $10 for a pack. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:40 pm 

Yeah, but you can get into a lot of trouble for doing that. By 'rule' we're not even supposed to give it to anyone as a gift. Sucks being in this country.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:06 pm 

He offered to buy them but I didn't sell. Even so, it's a good feeling to know that something you grow and produce is valued above commercial market value. I don't give them as gifts but if I'm having a few beers with a friend and light a smoke I offer one to others around me. I guess it's a carryover from the time I spent in Germany during the 1980s (army - first enlistment).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:23 pm 

The worst has happened. I was looking at my plants today and found one with black shank. I can only hope that it doesn't get too many before the serenade is delivered. I'll try applying it to the soil and hope it attacks the fungus responsible. I'll definitely be watching for the serenade soil treatment to become available for next year.

AgraQuest Introduces New Soil Fungicide for Potatoes and Other Crops

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:07 pm 

tekwyzrd

How do you know it's blackshank ?? I'm not so certain the serinade will help but I have some stuff that will . It wont help the effected plants but will prevent good plants from getting it .

If you want a dose send me your address in PM and I'll blend up and send you a dose . I'll also need to know if you have a sprayer and how many gallon of water it holds .

If you want the stuff tell me the gallon of your sprayer and send your address in Pm .

Lonnie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:43 pm 

I'm reasonably certain it's black shank. All the plants looked fine yesterday but this afternoon I noticed that the leaves on one plant were yellowing. Upon close examination I noticed that about two inches of the stalk right above the ground was dark, almost black in color and the surface a bit sunken compared to the area above it. I immediately removed the plant and googled black shank. Looking through google images I saw photos that were similar to what is happening to the plant I pulled. The plant is a Herzegovina Lecce, an heirloom hungarian tobacco that if I remember correctly was described as susceptible to black shank.

I know there's an old sprayer in the barn somewhere but I don't remember how big it is. I'll send a pm tomorrow after I find it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:55 pm 

tekwyzrd

Go ahead and PM me your addy and I'll try to get it in tomorrows mail for you . I think a gallon or 1.5 gallons would give all your plants a good wetting . Anyhow will be on here awhile checking for addy so we can get this to you ASAP .

I'll be gone all day tomorrow but could get it tomorrows mail if I had the addy tonight .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:11 pm 

I pulled the plant from the trash can for some photos. As always, the photos displayed are linked to larger versions.